Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English Online (from Mexico)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtiz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Teaching English Online (from Mexico) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I live in Mexico and have taught English here for about three years. I'm living in Mexico City but looking to move. What is the best way to go about teaching English online? What qualifications do they require? People also post that this is the best idea if you want to live anywhere you want...which I would love. Is this a real job? Does anyone have success stories of actually supporting themselves doing this?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I would just love to hear from real people who do this Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching Mexican nationals or students located in other parts of the world?
mtiz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear about either situation, and which one is more common. Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might give these threads a look:

"most complete on-line school list in universe"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102710

"Online English teaching jobs"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=83761

"Teaching online..."
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108453
mtiz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, those are great links. Your search skills here are much better than mine...I also wanted to hear from some of the people in this specific thread maybe. Very Happy
Samantha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I still devote time to teaching English and rescuing animals (neither online), I have now turned to social media online work, which has grown in leaps and bounds in recent years. It's just another option for working anywhere in the world, but you have to be totally up-to-date with social media platforms. It's definitely not as rewarding as teaching here, but if you can combine it like I do, then it's all good.
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha, what do you mean by "social media work"?
mtiz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Samantha, what do you mean by "social media work"?

I second that question.
Samantha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social media moderating, content creating, anything social, representing a brand online. All businesses have Facebook, Twitter, etc. and that means someone has to be on watch 24/7 to keep spam away and engage with customers.

I also know of teachers who have done online teaching, but I don't know details. I could dig around to find out.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching English Online (from Mexico) Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:
Hi everyone, I live in Mexico and have taught English here for about three years. I'm living in Mexico City but looking to move. What is the best way to go about teaching English online? What qualifications do they require? People also post that this is the best idea if you want to live anywhere you want...which I would love. Is this a real job? Does anyone have success stories of actually supporting themselves doing this?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I would just love to hear from real people who do this Very Happy

I have been working online for three and a half years, for the last three years, entirely online. There are a number of places who contract teachers to work online, and the qualifications vary, from just being able to speak English being enough come places, with others you need a degree and/or a TESOL qualification of some kind. Most places require at least some teaching experience. The places that require more usually pay more as well. I make more working online than I was making doing live classes in Mexico City, and my job enabled us to move to a small town, where I have another (very) part time job, and I do a few private classes online and one in person.
mtiz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you BadBeagle! You are living my dream, that is exactly what I would like to do. Teach online most of the time, and maybe have a few side jobs in person if possible. I am also looking to move to a small area.

A few more questions if you are able to answer them...

How hard would you say it is to find a job online? I see that the qualifications differ among companies, but would you say there is a big job market in online English teaching, from what you've seen?

Any places you would recommend? Others provided a great big list which is awesome and I will definitely check those out.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:
Thank you BadBeagle! You are living my dream, that is exactly what I would like to do. Teach online most of the time, and maybe have a few side jobs in person if possible. I am also looking to move to a small area.

A few more questions if you are able to answer them...

How hard would you say it is to find a job online? I see that the qualifications differ among companies, but would you say there is a big job market in online English teaching, from what you've seen?

Any places you would recommend? Others provided a great big list which is awesome and I will definitely check those out.

It depends on your qualifications and experience. I have a degree in Education, a TESOL cert, and a graduate cert in teaching languages. I have been active in continueing education courses, have presented workshops at ESL events and have 15 plus years of teaching experience. That is good, and at the same time bad. It makes me attractive to come companies, but some see me as overqualified. Not having a degree or cert will make some companies not even consider you. I am currently entertaining a couple of different job offers in addition to my main, full time job, so I would say there is a lot of work out there. I would just refer to the lists here on Dave´s, they are pretty complete, and a lot can depend on who is hiring at any given time.

As for dream, while I do enjoy my work, there are some downsides. The biggest one for me was a bit of weight gain, haha, funny as that sounds. When I lived in DF I probably walked 5K every day (often at a fast pace as I tend toward being just on time for things). It can also be isolating, if you don´t already have friends, it can limit the time you have to be out and about. That wasn´t a problem for me in DF as I already had long time friends/neighbords. Not a HUGE problem here, but I do sometimes have to force myself to get out of the house, and to exercise, since I don´t have that built into my days anymore. The last problem, which probably is actually my biggest problem, and always has been, really, is people who don´t understand that just because you work at home that doesn´t mean you can just stop whenever to answer the phone, come to the gate, etc. I am probably interrupted 20 times a day on my worst days, and have had to be fairly abrupt with a few people, who STILL just don´t get it.

On the other hand, the money I made is a King´s Ransom for a small town (all told I earn around 40,000 pesos a month) and I am able to save more than half my income every month. That won´t be true in DF, where the cost of living is a lot higher. I also didn´t start off earning that much, when we left DF, I was earning about 25,000 a month, which is still amble money to live on, and even to save a bit.
mtiz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info. I have a teaching cert (CELTA), three years experience teaching everything from kids to adults and business English...definitely not as qualified as I could be, but I am getting there. If I were making 40,000 pesos a month in Mexico I would seriously die of happiness...
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:
If I were making 40,000 pesos a month in Mexico I would seriously die of happiness...

As would most Mexicans!
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rose Cohen wrote:
mtiz wrote:
If I were making 40,000 pesos a month in Mexico I would seriously die of happiness...

As would most Mexicans!

I don't know about that. I know plenty of Mexicans on each side of that line and frankly thefurther below it that they are the happier they seem.

As my family income rose and surpassed that mark we became less happy as there are now pressures present we were never exposed to before in addition to becoming targets of those who think that means we now have enough to give them the right to take from us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: