Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honestly - BEST Asian country to work in?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Honestly - BEST Asian country to work in? Reply with quote

I worked in Taiwan for three years in the heydays - it was good. Kids mostly, and some privates. Pretty good money for a beginner.

Moved on to China, struggled in the beginning, and made great money in the end, but the air quality drove me out. Gained great experience, and worked for some high quality institutions.

I've looked at all sorts of positions around Asia, and each country has its pros and cons.

For me;
1. Thailand - no. Unless the salary is up around 100000bt.
2. Malaysia - maybe. If the salary is upward of 8000rt.
3. Cambo, Vietnam, Philippines - no. Just no.

I'm not going back to Taiwan or China, because I've been there and done that.

Where are you at, and what makes it good/great/acceptable for you?

And where would you never want to live and teach, and why?
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked in Korea and am currently working in Hong Kong. Making more money here but spending a lot more and saving less. HK is a much more interesting place to live and I don't regret coming here but will be heading back to Korea for the bucks before too long. Nowadays it's not a question of where I don't want to live but my wife's and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be interested in China (pollution) or a developing country
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
Worked in Korea and am currently working in Hong Kong. Making more money here but spending a lot more and saving less. HK is a much more interesting place to live and I don't regret coming here but will be heading back to Korea for the bucks before too long. Nowadays it's not a question of where I don't want to live but my wife's and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be interested in China (pollution) or a developing country

Is the missus Korean?

And do you have a decent job in HK?
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the missus Korean?

And do you have a decent job in HK?

Yes

It's all relative but to get a decent place here costs around 15,000 dollars so you'd want to be earning 30 at the very least to get by. I make just under 50, which sounds a lot but I'm still saving less than I did in Korea
likwid_777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding OP's question... I'm not sure. However, with respect to the rise and fall (?) of Japan and Korea as ESL paradisos, along with the inevitable (?) collapse of China's ESL paradiso status... Where is the next China? Naturally, nowhere in Asia which could ever offer ESLers the scale of opportunity which China has again in our lifetime.

>>No, not India... Doesn't seem to pay teachers, and is not East or South East Asian<<

However, in terms of offering a goldmine of jobs and excitement, what could be the next China? Myanmar, Laos? I think that we've run out of Asia, unfortunately. And unless Western influence has a rather severe renaissance soon, you'd better enjoy the scene for what it is now and over the next decade or so, for it may be on its dying legs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

likwid_777 wrote:
Regarding OP's question... I'm not sure. However, with respect to the rise and fall (?) of Japan and Korea as ESL paradisos, along with the inevitable (?) collapse of China's ESL paradiso status... Where is the next China? Naturally, nowhere in Asia which could ever offer ESLers the scale of opportunity which China has again in our lifetime.

>>No, not India... Doesn't seem to pay teachers, and is not East or South East Asian<<

However, in terms of offering a goldmine of jobs and excitement, what could be the next China? Myanmar, Laos? I think that we've run out of Asia, unfortunately. And unless Western influence has a rather severe renaissance soon, you'd better enjoy the scene for what it is now and over the next decade or so, for it may be on its dying legs.

Bangladesh is the up and coming TEFL hot-spot I hear Razz Twisted Evil Wink
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and they pay in SOCKS. Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could barter the socks at the market.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like two jobs required to support oneself in Bangladesh:-)
likwid_777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In socks? Ouch, you must get quite a few for your troubles. Considering that one can buy a business shirt at K-Mart in Australia for $8 (Made in Bangladesh), socks must be worth **** all. I wonder what the first middle man pays for these fine garments from the factory outlet? We all know that the pay lords up that way have saved a buck or two on fire exit doors in their factories.

Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unwilling to work in Thailand unless your salary is 100,000 Baht? That's a bit odd. A huge amount of teachers would gladly work in Thailand for 60,000 Baht and a lot would be fairly happy with 40000 Baht, just to be in Thailand. Sure you can work your way up to 100000 if you work for one of the 4 top tier schools in Bangkok. Hopefully your licensed and have plenty of years teaching K-12 or equivalent where you are a resident.

PS For any grammer nutjobs, I like your better than you're
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

likwid_777 wrote:
In socks? Ouch, you must get quite a few for your troubles. Considering that one can buy a business shirt at K-Mart in Australia for $8 (Made in Bangladesh), socks must be worth **** all. I wonder what the first middle man pays for these fine garments from the factory outlet? We all know that the pay lords up that way have saved a buck or two on fire exit doors in their factories.

Sad

Some of the International Schools in SE Asia and Saudi Arabia might pay with items like that. You would have to ship them over in a container Laughing Fortunately there are second hand stores in the US. You might get 20% of retail value. You would have to travel around and find a lot of second hand shops though. Laughing
likwid_777

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
likwid_777 wrote:

Sad

Some of the International Schools in SE Asia and Saudi Arabia might pay with items like that. You would have to ship them over in a container Laughing Fortunately there are second hand stores in the US. You might get 20% of retail value. You would have to travel around and find a lot of second hand shops though. Laughing

Haha, yeah, you might be selling them to second hand shops if they are from the KSA or SEA. If they are from Bangladesh though, I think they'd be brand spankin', as most people seem to be getting around there in bare feet or sandals. The Bangladeshis only wear socks with their sandals whilst on holidays with their ESL teacher mates, in order to fit in hehehe.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

The best ASEAN country to work in nowadays is Malaysia....for many reasons. Shocked
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the reasons are....?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: