Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam Job Resources?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvandermost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Vietnam Job Resources? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently teaching in Chiang Mai, Thailand and I am looking to move to Vietnam at the end of my contract. (April) I have been researching language schools, helpful blogs and other online resources.

I would appreciate if anyone could respond with helpful blogs, language centers, or other helpful information. Any recommendations on destinations? Hanoi or HCMC? Preferred language schools? If you are looking to come to Thailand. Check out my blog for helpful info at nathanvandermost.com.

Cheers!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vietnam Job Resources? Reply with quote

nvandermost wrote:
Hello,

I am currently teaching in Chiang Mai, Thailand and I am looking to move to Vietnam at the end of my contract. (April) I have been researching language schools, helpful blogs and other online resources.

I would appreciate if anyone could respond with helpful blogs, language centers, or other helpful information. Any recommendations on destinations? Hanoi or HCMC? Preferred language schools? If you are looking to come to Thailand. Check out my blog for helpful info at nathanvandermost.com.

Cheers!

STAY in Thailand!

You won't make "jack" in VN nowadays...

Shocked
cb400

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with newhanoian.com and sosaigon for school reviews and to get an idea what is going on.

More money to be made in Hanoi because no one wants to work there. The big cities in VN are becoming more and more unbearable and the new visa regulations are not helping.

I would tell anyone thinking of relocating here to first come visit and spend sometime here before committing to anything. If you love traffic, pollution, rude locals and untrustworthy schools, this is the place for you.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb400 wrote:
I would start with newhanoian.com and sosaigon for school reviews and to get an idea what is going on.

More money to be made in Hanoi because no one wants to work there. The big cities in VN are becoming more and more unbearable and the new visa regulations are not helping.

I would tell anyone thinking of relocating here to first come visit and spend sometime here before committing to anything. If you love traffic, pollution, rude locals and untrustworthy schools, this is the place for you.

Good summary of VN.

Most foreign teachers are male, like to PARTY and that includes drinking, drugging and sleeping with women of very questionable morals/backgrounds/motivations. After a year or two, most have had enough and leave VN. If you try to stay here and do anything long-term, you will see this place for what it really is...
Guiza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aggressive generalisations going on here.

Prof Gringo you sound like a out of touch father talking about young people you only know from reading tabloids. From what I've read your comments are usually misleading. I would ignore if I were you OP and search previous posts by other people on the same topic.

And you are wrong about not being able to get paid decent money.

If you work for a decent school (which you can easily do if you have a CELTA + a degree) you will get paid enough money to rent, eat out, socialize, join a gym, buy a second hand moped and travel. Or just save if you want.

If you are a overly-frivolous lazy ignorant and can't teach kids you will get sacked and not last long.

If you are mentally stable and don't hate the idea of working 4 - 5 days a week you will have the access to things i mentioned above as long for as you want to.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree. Gringo's posts have labeled him as one of the under qualified party chasers since the day he joined the Vietnam forums from the Mexico forums. It all depends on the crowd you run with I think. I've heard about the dead-beat ESL teachers, but I've never actually met any of them. My friends and collegues are all of the professional sort.
cb400

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met many of both kinds the professional and the one we all dread.

My favourite one was coming back home on a Sunday afternoon (when I was living in Hanoi) and seeing a white female head down at the beer hoi on the corner. She stopped me and asked if I could lend her 50000 VND because she lost all her money that evening and passed out in the alley way trying to figure out what apartment was hers. Her white jeans were covered in piss and dirty and she now was having some more beer trying to chase the hangover.

I asked her where she worked as she was on the street begging for money from strangers. She proudly explained that she was the 'Foreign Teacher Manager at May School' so paying back 50 000 VND was so easy for her... she then proceeded to puke all over the table and herself..

I didn't lend her the money.
Oh My God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
I'd agree. Gringo's posts have labeled him as one of the under qualified party chasers since the day he joined the Vietnam forums from the Mexico forums. It all depends on the crowd you run with I think. I've heard about the dead-beat ESL teachers, but I've never actually met any of them. My friends and collegues are all of the professional sort.

Paradise, paradise! Rolling Eyes
cb400

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you work for a decent school (which you can easily do if you have a CELTA + a degree) you will get paid enough money to rent, eat out, socialize, join a gym, buy a second hand moped and travel. Or just save if you want.

The question is whether this is worth living in Vietnam for? Many of us who had good jobs back home easily had the same life style and is making $1500 a month really considered decent? Giving the lower quality of life in VN?

Most of us could easily attain this life style back home, though many of the 'party' crowd couldn't so maybe that is why their enthusiasm? I have been making 2-3x's this in VN (not teaching though) and have decided to more as the lower quality of life does not make it worth while (in my opinion) plus I have options back home and am currently exploring moving my small business to Eastern Europe as the negatives now out weight the positive for business in VN at the moment.

I think many more teachers are asking themselves the same at the moment
likwid_777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered Vietnam. I've been to China before, and I know that I got over it big time when I was there. However, I want to go back there, or at least back to East or South East Asia. I want "adventure", and I'll probably be in your Cb400 shoes and wishing I was back home before too long. I just want to do this kind of thing before I'm too old, and before Asia becomes boring as **** like the "West".

PS- Ed degree will be attained in a few months, and the plan is to become CELTA qualified after. Can always add a masters or grad dip of another discipline to diversify after being sick of Ed... Haha. Hey, I can drive a forklift!

Smile Very Happy Surprised Shocked Confused Mad Crying or Very sad Question Twisted Evil Idea Arrow

PPS- A CB400 is probably more than quick enough for the streets of Saigon or Hanoi, no?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I am a real pro, well qualified and glad to teach EFL, it's a real career as I see it Cool

Now, do I go for the DELTA or the MA TESOL???

PARADISE, PARADISE, PARADISE Twisted Evil
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb400 wrote:

My favourite one was coming back home on a Sunday afternoon (when I was living in Hanoi) and seeing a white female head down at the beer hoi on the corner. She stopped me and asked if I could lend her 50000 VND because she lost all her money that evening and passed out in the alley way trying to figure out what apartment was hers. Her white jeans were covered in piss and dirty and she now was having some more beer trying to chase the hangover.

I asked her where she worked as she was on the street begging for money from strangers. She proudly explained that she was the 'Foreign Teacher Manager at May School' so paying back 50 000 VND was so easy for her... she then proceeded to puke all over the table and herself..

Did you find out if she has the combo of a BA/CELTA + MA TESOL and/or DELTA???
likwid_777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Don't worry, I am a real pro, well qualified and glad to teach EFL, it's a real career as I see it Cool

It is a real career indeed, though I think that developing a reserve chute might be a good idea for my own personal situation.

Prof.Gringo wrote:
After a year or two, most have had enough and leave VN. If you try to stay here and do anything long-term, you will see this place for what it really is...

Oh yeah, and you can't just drop a bomb like that and not elaborate. So, what is Vietnam, really?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likwid_777 wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

It is a real career indeed, though I think that developing a reserve chute might be a good idea for my own personal situation.

Prof.Gringo wrote:
After a year or two, most have had enough and leave VN. If you try to stay here and do anything long-term, you will see this place for what it really is...

Oh yeah, and you can't just drop a bomb like that and not elaborate. So, what is Vietnam, really?

It's a very interesting place, it sure is Cool
cb400

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
cb400 wrote:

Did you find out if she has the combo of a BA/CELTA + MA TESOL and/or DELTA???

No the smell of piss and vomit made me cut the conversation short. I am sure though she is well qualified to work in the paradise of VN Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: