Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Married to a Mexican and Your Right to Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddevil79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Married to a Mexican and Your Right to Work Reply with quote

This entry could also go in the thread below, but I think there’s so much misinformation and confusion surrounding the subject that it deserves its own thread:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=106683

So, what happens when you’re married to a Mexican citizen and are you allowed to work legally in Mexico? I’ve been doing a fair bit of research into this topic and finally decided to do the six-hour round trip to immigration in Oaxaca last week; I’m glad I did.

It works like this (at least for those dealing with immigration in Oaxaca): First, you have to bring all your required documentation (including marriage certificate) and apply for temporary residence, something called a Residencia Temporal. It requires three separate visits, takes 10 working days and costs around 5000 pesos in all. This gives you the right to stay legally in Mexico for one year. As a side note, you do have the option of getting a longer Residencia temporal (up to four years I think) if you so wish.

Once you have the Residencia Temporal, you then have to apply to have it amended to allow you to work legally in Mexico if you have a job offer (and thus obviating the need to leave Mexico and start the visa process at a Mexican embassy abroad). This requires two more visits, more documentation, another two weeks and an extra 2000 pesos.

So, if you’re married to a Mexican national, you can take this (slightly costly) route which doesn’t require you to leave Mexico. I will also repeat that this is what the immigration office in Oaxaca told me, it might be different in other parts of the country. I did note that the immigration officer stapled another couple of sheets with extra requirements in addition to the ones listed on the official INM form, some of which were handwritten.

Hope this helps.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found this website which has lots of useful information:

http://yucalandia.com/answers-to-common-questions/new-rules-and-procedures-for-immigration-visiting-and-staying-in-mexico/
golfsuper41

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been through the same process here in Queretaro (last year) and it all seems the same. Now I am wondering about the renewal process. I currently work for 2 public universities and my permission to work expires on March 9th. I ws told last year at the immigration office that I only had to pay the amount to amend the Temp card and permission to work once. Does anyone know if this is still true? I am only teaching part time at both schools and the amount they would pay me would pretty much have me working for free, which I do not intend to do. If you have any additional info please let me know. Thanks ahead of time. Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: