Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Input needed re: ESL teaching positions in the Middle East
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peachz4u wrote:
I thought about going abroad and teaching English about 15 years ago but was given a very good job offer here, so I chose to stay at that time.

All this having been said, it does sound more difficult than I may have first realized, so I appreciate alternate suggestions like leveraging my corporate experience in a different type of job/role abroad. This type of feedback is very helpful and constructive.

In terms of TEFL, you basically have a degree in English and zero teaching experience or teacher training. Consider the following options:

1) Look into teaching English in public schools or Canadian or IB curriculum international schools in the Gulf. You'd need a teaching license/certificate from your province and a couple of years of experience teaching in Canada's school system. Check out Teach Away's site for details.

2) Get a CELTA or equivalent TEFL cert (i.e., a minimum of 120 hours of face-to-face instruction that includes supervised and assessed teaching practice with a classroom of real students). Head to Europe (non-EU countries) or to East or South East Asia to teach. (You might think about doing your CELTA training in your target Asian or non-EU country.) Establish your teaching career there.

3) Obtain a CELTA or equivalent TEFL cert and get several years of experience teaching adults in the regions indicated above. You'll then have the basic qualifications for TEFL jobs in Oman and Saudi Arabia. However, keep in mind that the cut-off ages for recruiting range from 55-58.

4) Try for non-teaching jobs in the UAE or Qatar that fit your corporate experience. (English is used for business in both countries.) However, since your expertise is in communications, it may be challenging to find related positions that don't require Arabic-English bilingual skills.

5) Forget about teaching English---look into going back to university for an MA in Instructional Technology or a related field, with a focus on elearning. You'll be more marketable in the region (and worldwide), especially given your corporate experience.

6) Stay in Canada in your current job and do volunteer ESL teaching in your area.
tigress

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting comments. From my little experience I'd say apply and see what happens.I know my company accepts 'older people' and the pay should be 3000 use for a degree in English anything else, coupled with you being Canadian will make you employable with a decent company in ksa.

The teachers don't necessarily have teaching experience as well, it's just relative.Your corporate experience will help you be a better professional and if you feel reaching isn't for you theneed at least you tried it out. I can't say that being corporate means you won't enjoy teaching either, some people enjoy teaching generally.

Sometimes you gotta take a step back, if you have objective information and want to do something, do it. Worst case you don't get a job? Just ensure you gain a balanced perspective from people working in the ME and what to expect through blogs and such.

All the best.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigress wrote:
I know my company accepts 'older people' and the pay should be 3000 use for a degree in English anything else, coupled with you being Canadian will make you employable with a decent company in ksa.

The teachers don't necessarily have teaching experience as well, it's just relative.

I understand you're new to ESL. May I ask what your qualifications are?
tigress

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: @Nomad Reply with quote

BA English, Post grad marketing and now writing the dissertation component to complete my Mba. South African.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: @Nomad Reply with quote

tigress wrote:
BA English, Post grad marketing and now writing the dissertation component to complete my Mba. South African.

Prior teaching experience (TEFL or otherwise)?
tigress

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tefl. I worked in corporate initially then spent 3 years as programmes manager for a training and skills development npo in South Africa. I'm 28.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: