Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on areas to avoid in 2015

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Advice on areas to avoid in 2015 Reply with quote

Hello,
I've read some current threads indicating life in Mexico isn't what it used to be and many ex-pats are contemplating a move back to native countries. What are the reasons (other than the obvious of safety)? Can anyone advise on specific areas to avoid or would the list be shorter to simply list those that would be safe(r), relatively speaking? Some acquaintances have told me they are going to retire in Mexico in the next 6 months (can't recall the area) so I'd like to let them know the current situation. I realize it can vary drastically from one area to another so more specific info from those on the ground would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. PS
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retirees are probably fine. They generally don't integrate into Mexican life. (Even the ones who think they are, aren't, not really.)

I will think more about how to put my concerns into words.
notamiss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve read that Lakeside residents (Lake Chapala, one of the most concentrated expat colonies), who had long enjoyed a very safe lifestyle, have seen an increase in crime in their region in recent years. Google “Lake Chapala crime” (without quotes) for some reports and opinions.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I would say the northern states - Chihuahua, Sonora, Sinoloa, Coahuila, Durango, Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon and Zacatecas, as well as Michocan and Guerrero. Nuevo Leon seems to be making some strides in becoming more safe, since I live just a few hours away, we get a lot of news from there and they have made some changes in how they police that seem to be yielding results. As Mother F said, retirees are not likely to be effected, especially if they don´t learn Spanish or make any attempt to integrate into Mexican culture - from what I have seen that is the norm - with a few exceptions. Either, way I still wouldn´t recommend any of those states as there are lots of problems with police (and lack thereof) due to the recent ¨cleanup¨ of municipal police departments, resulting in lots of places being basically without any police, or only a few (in the town we live in there are now four) and aside from that we have sporatic coverage from state police and sporatic coverage from the Marines, who are nearby and do occasional sweeps. The state police are not well regarded and there have been a lot of complaints about them overstepping. Personally, if I could move anywhere in Mexico I would move to the states of Puebla, Oaxaca or Tabasco, for safety and other reasons.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
I’ve read that Lakeside residents (Lake Chapala, one of the most concentrated expat colonies), who had long enjoyed a very safe lifestyle, have seen an increase in crime in their region in recent years. Google “Lake Chapala crime” (without quotes) for some reports and opinions.

Yeah, my parents live in Zapopan (near Guadalajara) and they say crime in general has increased en the entire state of Jalisco.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been asked by two people to get back to this, so I'll give it a go.

It's something I've found kind of difficult to process and organize my thoughts on, it's easier to try to ignore the issue and hope it will go away!

So as I said, I don't think any of this is that big of an issue in the world of retirees in Mexico. Nor do I think it's an issue that should affect students wanting to study abroad in Mexico or young TEFL types who just want to come and observe Mexico for a year or so and learn. Or anyone who would have that attitude that "I'm just here to observe and learn". Or just here to relax and enjoy life. If your opinion is it's not my country, it's not my culture, it's not my place to get involved or the similiar, I believe you can stay out of the way and stay out of problems.

BUT I CAN'T DO THAT. I've been in Mexico for 17 years now. I arrived when I was 24. This is my life. This is the only home my children have ever known. This is my community and I can't stand on the sideline and watch it go to hell. I have to be an active participant in making it the kind of place I want to live in. The kind of place I want for my children. And I did that throughout the last decade, but it's only in the last three years when I've hessitated for a moment, before acting in some situations and asked myself, am I putting us in danger by doing this or saying that? I my case I have not been in the extreme case where the answer was clearly yes. But neither am I certain that the answer is clearly no. In the case of my spouse, there have been times, when the answer is much closer to yes than I'm comfortable with. That brings two questions.
Am I comfortable with the consequences if we act?
Am I comfortable with the consequences if we don't?
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I've been asked by two people to get back to this, so I'll give it a go.

It's something I've found kind of difficult to process and organize my thoughts on, it's easier to try to ignore the issue and hope it will go away!

So as I said, I don't think any of this is that big of an issue in the world of retirees in Mexico. Nor do I think it's an issue that should affect students wanting to study abroad in Mexico or young TEFL types who just want to come and observe Mexico for a year or so and learn. Or anyone who would have that attitude that "I'm just here to observe and learn". Or just here to relax and enjoy life. If your opinion is it's not my country, it's not my culture, it's not my place to get involved or the similiar, I believe you can stay out of the way and stay out of problems.

BUT I CAN'T DO THAT. I've been in Mexico for 17 years now. I arrived when I was 24. This is my life. This is the only home my children have ever known. This is my community and I can't stand on the sideline and watch it go to hell. I have to be an active participant in making it the kind of place I want to live in. The kind of place I want for my children. And I did that throughout the last decade, but it's only in the last three years when I've hessitated for a moment, before acting in some situations and asked myself, am I putting us in danger by doing this or saying that? I my case I have not been in the extreme case where the answer was clearly yes. But neither am I certain that the answer is clearly no. In the case of my spouse, there have been times, when the answer is much closer to yes than I'm comfortable with. That brings two questions.
Am I comfortable with the consequences if we act?
Am I comfortable with the consequences if we don't?

I know it might not be in your best interest to clarify the above, but if you think you can do so without consequences, can you be more specific about the situations you have felt the desire to intervene in and the potential harm that exists if you cross a line?
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not get into my situation. But last September a group of students from a completely inconsequential teacher's college were on their way to protest at an event led by the wife of a major of an equally inconsequential town in a fairly inconsequential state. A difficult to pronounce Mexican place name is now a mentioned around the world. And the search for bodies that cannot be found has turned up hundreds more than no one was even looking for.

Do you want to live in a place where calling out the mayor will get you killed?
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I'd rather not get into my situation. But last September a group of students from a completely inconsequential teacher's college were on their way to protest at an event led by the wife of a major of an equally inconsequential town in a fairly inconsequential state. A difficult to pronounce Mexican place name is now a mentioned around the world. And the search for bodies that cannot be found has turned up hundreds more than no one was even looking for.

Do you want to live in a place where calling out the mayor will get you killed?

Yeah, I've followed the news about the students. Terribly tragic, and of course the farce of a public servant called the mayor infuriates me. We'd like to believe that events like Noche de Tlatelolco couldn't happen more than once in a lifetime, but I expect there are many more incidents of this type that get less publicity. I've become increasingly cynical about our "authority figures" in the U.S., too. We've got cops tazing soccer moms and beating harmless schizophrenic homeless guys to death in plain sight as daily bread in the news. There's no accountability for government.

I hope you're able to find the right balance in your position, that you and your family remain safe while maintaining your integrity and passion for truth.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DebMer wrote:

I know it might not be in your best interest to clarify the above, but if you think you can do so without consequences, can you beI more specific about the situations you have felt the desire to intervene in and the potential harm that exists if you cross a line?

I´m not Mother F (obviously) but I feel the same way that she does. When I lived in DF I was very politically active, and had no problem with having huge political signs outside my home. I regularly went to political rallies and marches and aside from being a bit leery of large crowds they drew at times, I was not afraid.

Where we live now things are quite different. No one speaks out because of fear, and I have no political signs of any kind outside my house and NO ONE in the entire town does. I recently went to a political event in the capital city of the state where I live and I felt safe, because I was far from home. Students have been mistreated by the police where I live for having a peaceful protest outside the university. On another occasion we tried to go to the capital and were turned around by the state police because the casitas ahead had been taken over and no one was getting through. In an isolcated area where I live the only thing connecting towns in the highway, so there were no other options for getting there. Lots of random stuff happening that no one wants to talk about, and that never gets reported in the news. We have local elections coming up in July and no one is campaigning. I mostly stay inside my gate, luckily we have a lot of land out back that is walled in, so I have an exercise area and a garden out there to keep me busy, and do, in fact, spend a lot of time outdoors. But in terms of going outside the gate, it´s a couple of times a month. And we never go out after dark. In a way, I feel like I am in prison, but I also feel it is the only way that I can feel safe. We have had no police here since November, so even if anything does happen the state police are 45 minutes away and the Marines an hour and a half away. So it is every man for himself. Ironically, I think things have gotten worse here as they have improved to the north of us, in Coahuila and Nuevo Leon. It has to go somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: