Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IMEC Malaysia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachalot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: IMEC Malaysia Reply with quote

I would like to warn anyone thinking of working on IMEC College, Kajang, near KL, Malaysia to think twice.

While the Canadian and British manager and DOS will appear decent and charming upon your initial meeting, the office has an extremely unpleasant, backbiting atmosphere, and ridiculously long working hours.

I was accommodated in a shared house with the most unpleasant and unfriendly person I have ever met, who did not even say hello, or ask about my journey when I arrived, and totally ignored me the whole time i was there. This was in keeping with the attitude of all the foreign staff that I had the misfortune of meeting there.

The apartment itself, for which I was obliged to pay a huge chunk of my wages, was in the gorgeous surroundings of country heights, but as they are private grounds, taxis and buses did not service the estate, meaning staff are obliged to walk 1-3 km to work, depending on where they are housed. Additionally, while students and other estate residents can all use the clubhouse facilities, such as a swimming pool, teachers are banned for using them despite paying rent.

At work the amount slandering and bullying that went on by the bules was hideous. The atmosphere was extremely competitive, with staff using foul, degrading language behind supervisors' backs to try to undermine their position, and shunning, and ostracising ignoring anyone that was not in their slanderous group.

Competitions and commission, similar to what is practised in call centres, is implemented to keep up the pressure. Although contractual hours are about 40 per week, staff remained in the office late into the evening, compiling spreadsheets, calculating exam scores. warning letters to students, reports, preparing for classes, and writing students' reports.

In fact, leaving the office at the scheduled time is frowned upon and nobody does it. All staff work at least 50% longer than they are meant to. All teachers take large piles of marking home with them on holidays too.

As for the teaching itself; the most teacher led, traditional methods are expected/ I was repeatedly warned that my students were talking during paired discussions and fluency practice , and having too much fun during mingles. The focus is on reading and writing, and totally archaic. The classroom was in terrible disrepair with no windows, and sometimes fewer seats than students.

Accordingly, behaviour management issues take up a lot of the class time, and discipline is the predominant focus. The foreign teaching staff seemed to me to resemble security officers more than teachers, and students, thoroughly bored with the lessons, are constantly threatened and punished. The atmosphere is draconian and students are often required to resit courses, at the expense of their parents.

Luckily, I escaped this unfortunate institution, but would not with the experience upon anyone.
adaruby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: IMEC Malaysia Reply with quote

teachalot wrote:

As for the teaching itself; the most teacher led, traditional methods are expected/ I was repeatedly warned that my students were talking during paired discussions and fluency practice , and having too much fun during mingles. The focus is on reading and writing, and totally archaic. T

There are plenty of shit language schools in Malaysia and very little surprises me in this industry (I've had a quick look at your centre's blurb on their website and it does tally with what you've said about it being pretty poor).

However, parents know about the chalk and talk in government schools, so they are insistent on their children getting the opportunity to use the language when they enrol at centres such as yours. Therefore, I don't know how shunning the communicative approach would ever be considered useful for teachers or the business (even at the crap ones) and I'm left wondering if there's a little more to this story than you're offering us.

A few questions:

Were all of the academic management western and did they have, at the very least, a CELTA between them?

Finally, did they really warn you for doing mingles or were students merely having fun with very little actual language production? Remember: fun doesn't necessarily equate to learning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: