Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Canada
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_morales

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Canada Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm an American ESL teacher teacher teaching in Morocco who would like to teach in Canada next year. I would really like to improve my French and I am interested in teaching in Quebec and Canadian regions where French is dominant. Does anyone have a good starting point, advice, tips, etc? Any advice on where I can start my search is welcome. If you've worked for a Canadian school as an ESL teacher, I'd like to hear from you.

Also, what are the requirements for American citizens to work and live in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. You realize that Canada is an Anglophone country, right? It would be the same as a Canadian trying to get an ESL job in the US. No chance, basically.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Canada Reply with quote

i_morales wrote:
I'm an American ESL teacher teacher teaching in Morocco who would like to teach in Canada next year. I would really like to improve my French.

Since French is widely spoken in Morocco, why not continue to teach there while improving your French language skills?
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Canada Reply with quote

i_morales wrote:
I'm an American ESL teacher teacher teaching in Morocco who would like to teach in Canada next year. I would really like to improve my French and I am interested in teaching in Quebec and Canadian regions where French is dominant.

Have you read this thread? http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=54682

I think the biggest question is why a school would hire you. Do you have anything that Anglophone Canadians who can speak French can't provide?

If you want to improve your French, an option might be France's Teaching Assistant Program: http://highereducation.frenchculture.org/teach-in-france. It's only for 7 months and you won't save any money, but it would get you some time in France, improving your French.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience in Quebec. If you are able to get around work permit issues, getting a job in a rural region shouldn't be too hard. Look at places like Gaspe, Rimouski, etc.

No idea about immigration though, sorry. You won't get sponsorship to teach ESL most likely, but Quebec has a unique immigration procedure and if you already speak French, entry is a possibility.

Around 1-2 of the 8ish million residents are anglophone, but that is centered entirely in the Montreal and west Quebec regions.
cassava

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_morales:

Immigration and work permit issues are only two of the major problems you would face as a foreigner trying to obtain teaching employment anywhere in Canada at the present time.

The simple fact is that teachers, whatever their area of training, are a dime a dozen in Canada. Where do you believe the vast numbers of unemployed Ontario ESL teachers have been desperately trying to find work? In neighbouring Quebec, of course.Their success has been paltry, at best.

In Ontario, the unemployment situation is so desperate for teachers in general that the provincial government is going to extend the post-grad teacher training period (B.Ed.) from one year to two years, while closing various teacher-training university faculties.

Those Canadians who are teaching abroad and are planning to resume their teaching career on their return to Canada are living in a fool's paradise. The employment possibilities for teachers are extremely bleak everywhere in Canada. Foreigners without the vaunted "Canadian experience", who arrive in Canada seeking employment as teachers, are flogging a dead horse.

If you are hell-bent on coming to Canada, you would be well advised to look for employment in some other sector of the economy. I wish I could be more positive, but the facts speak for themselves. Good luck.
i_morales

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thank you all, for your comments and suggestions. You all have given me things to think about.

Best
Symphany

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Canada Reply with quote

i_morales

Depending on your age there may be programs that allow you to teach legally in Canada without too much red tape. I'm not too sure about American programs , I do know that a lot of countries, Canada included have working holiday programs that allow you a legal permit to work for up to a year in a given country. Generally they have an age limit which is about 30. I'd suggest try to research some US government websites to see if there are any such programs over there.
LeSylphe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a foreigner with a post-grad certificate at Humber College + TESL Canada?Is it the same situation?My post-grad was one year,would I have to take another one to find jobs over there?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeSylphe wrote:
How about a foreigner with a post-grad certificate at Humber College + TESL Canada?Is it the same situation?My post-grad was one year,would I have to take another one to find jobs over there?

Do you have any ESL/EFL teaching experience?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's Brazilian and I seriously doubt eligible for a work visa to teach ESL in Canada. There's a great deal of competition from native English speaking Canadians on the job market.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeSylphe wrote:

It's pretty unlikely. Canada will hire nonnative speaker teachers, but they generally come with higher qualifications (MA/PhD TESOL).

Another thought, if you manage to get permanent residency or citizenship, is to work as a settlement practitioner with various immigrant/social services agencies. Second languages, TESL qualifications, and personal immigration experience is in high demand for that field.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Canada will hire nonnative speaker teachers, but they generally come with higher qualifications (MA/PhD TESOL).

Frankly, that's the level of qualifications many non-native, career teachers possess in the US and abroad.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Quote:
Canada will hire nonnative speaker teachers, but they generally come with higher qualifications (MA/PhD TESOL).

Frankly, that's the level of qualifications many non-native, career teachers possess in the US and abroad.

I'm not surprised to hear that. It is a saturated market here, with 20+ million native English speakers - why hire from abroad? I couldn't even get a nanny from abroad, the requirements for foreign workers has become so strict.
LeSylphe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope ,that with the new liberal government,things will get better for foreign workers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: