Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Would You Do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: What Would You Do? Reply with quote

I really like my new boss in Queretaro; he is a very decent chap to deal with. And his rates are better than others I've heard around town - 140 pesos/hour for classes in the city, 170 pesos/hour for classes out in business parks. He built my hours to about 15 per week by mid-January, but there they have stuck. He has talked about a number of other classes being imminent over the past three weeks, but none of them has materialized, and I fear it is just talk.

He teaches classes himself, and I believe (although I have not asked directly) that I am his only other teacher right now. His offices are not downtown, but out in a remote business park. I'm not teaching any classes at that site currently, and I don't believe much is going on there in general. He has talked of sub-letting one of the classrooms to a friend as an office.

He seems to be having cash flow problems. He owed me about 8,000 pesos for my work in January, but it is coming in small amounts - 1,000 pesos last week, 2,000 more today. He says that he is waiting on a check to pay me the rest, and that if it does not arrive within a couple of days, that he will borrow the money to pay me.

Hmm, I think. I am sympathetic to cash flow problems (of course!!), but on the other hand, he has been in business for 10-15 years, and he does not have 5,000 pesos on hand? That does not inspire confidence. That is such a red flag, it's blood-red.

I like the guy, I truly do. He helped find me my apartment here, and I'm naturally grateful for that. But loyalty ain't going to pay my bills. I feel that I need to immediately approach some of the other English schools here that I have not had any contact with, and see if I can cut a better, more dependable deal. What would you do?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: What Would You Do? Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
I feel that I need to immediately approach some of the other English schools here that I have not had any contact with, and see if I can cut a better, more dependable deal. What would you do?

Precisely that. Even if you stay with this guy, it sounds like you've peaked out at 15 hours per week anyway. You need to diversify and not put all of your eggs in one basket.

Here's some food for thought:
https://chroniclevitae.com/news/894-the-university-is-just-another-client
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What Would You Do? Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Fitzgerald wrote:
I feel that I need to immediately approach some of the other English schools here that I have not had any contact with, and see if I can cut a better, more dependable deal. What would you do?

Precisely that. Even if you stay with this guy, it sounds like you've peaked out at 15 hours per week anyway. You need to diversify and not put all of your eggs in one basket.

Here's some food for thought:
https://chroniclevitae.com/news/894-the-university-is-just-another-client

Right. I had been trying to keep my schedule open for him to give him time to fill it, but there are limits to that approach.

Of course, I have been working on diversifying in other ways too, but I am discovering that there is no easy money anywhere. If I ever had the impression that one could land online English teaching positions overnight, I no longer believe that.

I've gone through all the hoops to do distance editing and poroofreading work for a reputable company, and I'm on their approved list now, but I'm waiting for my first assignment.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully something will come through on the online front soon. In the meantime, please keep us posted regarding what you find after approaching some of the other local English schools in your area. You've already got your foot in the door in that community, so hopefully that will give you a bit of an advantage as you try to branch out. Perhaps some of your current students can direct you to other possibilities in the area.
golfsuper41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go hit up the universities such as UAQ, Tec Milenio and others. I teach at their campus in San Juan del Rio (UAQ) and since I have started have had numerous other schools offer me positions that are both public and private in the area. Need to get your name out in town and it will give you an advantage since you are a native speaker. Hope all works out and if need any additional info, just pm me and we can talk or meet up. Jamie
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golfsuper41 wrote:
I would go hit up the universities such as UAQ, Tec Milenio and others. I teach at their campus in San Juan del Rio (UAQ) and since I have started have had numerous other schools offer me positions that are both public and private in the area. Need to get your name out in town and it will give you an advantage since you are a native speaker. Hope all works out and if need any additional info, just pm me and we can talk or meet up. Jamie

Thanks, Jamie. That is good advice, and easy to get a start on. My plan is to go in person to English schools and universities with copies of my resume, and see if I can get an in-person meeting on-the-spot, or at least scheduled for later. Emailing with a resume attached is SO hit-or-miss, even when there has been an actual advertisement.

I will PM you as well.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Hopefully something will come through on the online front soon. In the meantime, please keep us posted regarding what you find after approaching some of the other local English schools in your area. You've already got your foot in the door in that community, so hopefully that will give you a bit of an advantage as you try to branch out. Perhaps some of your current students can direct you to other possibilities in the area.

I've been viewing myself as confined on the online front because of the hours I am currently working for my Queretaro employer, but I am afraid that I can no longer take that attitude. If I can wake up in the morning and by teaching a couple of classes online in Asia, make more money than I would by teaching a live morning class, and WITHOUT the uncompensated travel time, then I've got to do that. Ditto evenings.

It has been a real eye-opener not being paid on time or in full. I know that this happens to MANY international teachers sooner or later, but in five years, this is my first experience with it.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are asking, "What would you do?", I'd walk. That's what I did every time I worked for a company that didn't pay me. It isn't a game, it's a contract, written or not. Of course that depends how easy it is to find an alternative, or what other resources you have, but as soon as it is possible, I'd walk. One of the reasons I got out of the teaching game was that it was almost impossible to find institutes that were actually run as serious businesses.
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
As you are asking, "What would you do?", I'd walk. That's what I did every time I worked for a company that didn't pay me. It isn't a game, it's a contract, written or not. Of course that depends how easy it is to find an alternative, or what other resources you have, but as soon as it is possible, I'd walk. One of the reasons I got out of the teaching game was that it was almost impossible to find institutes that were actually run as serious businesses.

And then there's the problem of finding institutes that are actually run as educational institutions!
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
golfsuper41 wrote:

Thanks, Jamie. That is good advice, and easy to get a start on. My plan is to go in person to English schools and universities with copies of my resume, and see if I can get an in-person meeting on-the-spot, or at least scheduled for later. Emailing with a resume attached is SO hit-or-miss, even when there has been an actual advertisement.

You could try sending out your resume and also showing up in person without an interview. If you're there in person, they will be more apt to take you seriously. Good luck!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. It's a balance, of course. Some people complain that institutes are only interested in making money, which as a business is important, but what they fail to grasp is that if they provide a first class educational experience they'd actually make more money through their good reputation.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:

It´s amazing that in all the years I lived in Mexico City I never had problems getting paid, or working for schools that were not run efficiently. Maybe with fewer credentials you can only get bottom of the barrel jobs, who knows, maybe THAT was your problem.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

????? Rolling Eyes
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Phil_K wrote:

It´s amazing that in all the years I lived in Mexico City I never had problems getting paid, or working for schools that were not run efficiently. Maybe with fewer credentials you can only get bottom of the barrel jobs, who knows, maybe THAT was your problem.

No, I don't think so. I was headhunted for a senior role in one of the better institutions, and received copious extremely complimentary comments when I left my last teaching gig in a well known online institute. Maybe because I'm a nice person and try to help others, I don't know.
water rat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you like your boss, what I would do in your situation is stop coming to work. Tell him you don't mean anything by it, but the dribs and drabs of salary he's granted you are not enough. You have had to send much of it to your poor old mother (or whoever) who is also behind in her bills thanks to him, and you've got expenses of your own, so, you're embarrassed to admit it, but no you can't afford the bus fare to where the gig is as you'd rather use the little money you have on keeping yourself in bean and cheese burritos and drinking water. Do nothing until you are paid in full. Next payday, you have only to hint that you'll do all this again, and he'll be calling you in to fork over the dough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: