Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican Language School Chains

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Mexican Language School Chains Reply with quote

There are a bewildering variety of language school chains in Mexico, and every single one of them seems to have a branch in Queretaro. I was thinking that it might be interesting to have a thread comparing the chains, with respect to working conditions, pay, and effectiveness of their pedagogical programs. I do understand that there can be variations between branches in different cities. Specifically, the chains that I have in mind are (but chime in with other ones that I have missed):

Berlitz
Harmon Hall
Golden English
In English
Ingles Individual
Ingles por Resultados
Interlingua
Linguatec
Natural English
Quick Learning
United English
Wall Street Institute

Of course, in any larger city there are likely to be a few reputable independent outfits, too, as well as a number of sketchy fly-by-nights. In Queretaro, some of the independents are Bridge Institute, English School of Canada, English Smart, Globoworld, Language Tree Institute, Orange English for Everybody, PLI Professional Language Institute, RC English, and Schule Central Park. I don't think these are in other cities, but I could be wrong about that. I count about 15 tinier outfits in Queretaro, too, including the one I have recently worked for. I think those appear and disappear (as a lot of "online language schools" do also); they are like gnats.
water rat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the average wage or salary in Old Mexico? How hard do you have to work for the money? What age are the students generally?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

water rat wrote:
So what is the average wage or salary in Old Mexico? How hard do you have to work for the money? What age are the students generally?

Philipjmorgan42 gave a pretty good overview of the situation here:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=109980
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Language School Chains Reply with quote

I can only comment on Interlingua and Harmon Hall, and even then my experience was in Mexico City, so it might not be the same in Queretaro, where the cost of living is lower.

I first worked from Interlingua about 20 years ago, they give you a three week training course on hour to use their method. Everything is scripted, you will be given lessons with lessons plans to use, so there is very little planning. There are maps, posters, cassette (or maybe CD´s now) but there is a library that keeps all of them things in order, all you have to do is go up to the window and say, I need the packet for Lesson X and they had you everything. It can be a little tedious and boring at the lower levels, but you can also do your job in your sleep. Most students are motivated, college students and professionals, so there are no discipline problems. I worked there for two years and my salary doubled in that time. You start out teaching specific levels, and can do more training to teach more levels, and the move levels you are trained to teach the more you make. You can also move into other positions, they update the books every couple of years so someone is usually working on one or another to change the news references, songs, movies, etc. In some of the upper level classes they use music a lot and those also have to be updated. There are also teacher trainers, that is, those who train the Interlingua teachers, I have a friend who is doing that who has been with Interlingua since I was there the first time. Then, I worked a second time with them about 5 or 6 years ago, not much has changed in terms of how the teach, the method class is more intense, lots of practice teaching using their method and evaluations by the trainers. It´s a supportive and constructive environment. The last time pay was 80 pesos an hour for on site classes and 120 for off site classes. Not too great, but there was a branch within walking distance of where I lived so that was a HUGE advantage. There is another branch that was one short Metro ride away, and you usually work 3 or 4 hours in a row, or maybe have a one hour break and then work some more. But I digress. I didn´t stay because they wanted to send me to what I will less than politely call San Juan de la Chingada. I did enjoy the classes and students I had while I was there the second time around, but the whole point was less travel, not more, and something better came along at about that time. Oh, one other thing I remembered, Interlingua has company owned schools that give you a full benefit package, but pay what I stated above (might be more now, this was 6 or so years ago, maybe 7) and franchises, where they pay you more but you get no benefits. You can tell them which you prefer and they are pretty upfront about it.

I also have a friend who has been working for Harmon Hall for 20 or so years, she started as a teacher and now manages a branch. She also enjoys her job and had has several positions through the years. She makes about 30,000 a month with full benefits.

Quick Learning might not be to your liking. They have a requirement that all teachers come to work early to pray (and it has to be THEIR kind of prayer, not just a quiet time or meditation which might work for some). If you don´t you are toast. I have heard, but don´t know first hand, that they also favor people who are younger and more attractive, possibly because they are easier to mold. Not being a fan of bigotry of any kind, it seems to be a horrible place to work. I have also seen some of their materials and they look very complicated for students to master. And that is before even getting around to learning English.

Also, I would like to stress that a language school can be a good option for someone who is looking to stay in Mexico long term and is good at what they do, as you will almost certainly move into other positions and get more pay. Not so much for short term stays, as it can take a year or two to get to where you are earning a decent amount of money. But, pay is online with what Mexican teachers with college degrees make in public schools, or even a little more, so it´s not that ESL teachers are being singled out to be screwed. Teachers just aren´t that well paid, period.

Anywhoooo, didn´t mean to write a novel!
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, thanks. I am very interested in the differences in methodologies. Scripted teaching does not draw on the creative juices that helped draw me to this profession, but as you say, it is kind of a breeze to do.

I remember reading about the Quick Learning prayers in another post amd thinking, OMG.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of prayers are we talking about? Are they affiliated with a specific denomination?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: