Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Understanding the visa process

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Understanding the visa process Reply with quote

I have been reading on-line trying to understand the visa process when applying for a university job. I can't say I fully understand the system.
I did have my diploma, credentials translated and notarized while on trip to Turkey; I am having my reference letters also translated; a friend is taking care of that. Then, I was told it would take 3 months through the Yök. I believe they may submit my papers to that said office in a week or two. That's for the work-permit, I presume. Then, I would have to get the residency permit. And that would require an appointment a local Turkish police station. I am not sure what's exactly required, but I am doing my homework and research. I don't know any teachers who happen to be teaching in Turkey.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/10935794/Expats-stranded-in-Turkey-due-to-residence-permit-delays.html

I will keep looking on-line.
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search postings here starting April to July 2014, the period in which new laws began to go into effect; depending on the visa I think these new regulations are still unfolding as the govt adapts to their realities.

Seeking a university position with real qualifications, MY SENSE is that any reasonable employer will be far more likely to want to hire you when they see/meet you in person. Said employers will take care of the rather arduous and evolving process of getting the WORK permit, as opposed to a RESIDENCE permit. It'd be nice to be hired while still in the UK, but if you are in-country there are procedures in-place to handle that contingency and its why HR department exist.

The Work permit is what you must have and you'll need someone to sponsor you for it anyway. You may be getting confused by the RESIDENCE permit, which people can and do get for themselves, although its a pain if you aren't oriented to the process.
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a related question:

Under the new laws, to get a Work Permit to teach English as a foreigner must one have at least an undergraduate university degree in English, Teaching, Linguistics, etc?

I have a friend going through the process at a dershanı (private school), and her application has been bounced back from Ankara asking for her university transcript (not just the original diploma), which has not been required previously. From reading the various adverts I am getting the sense that a degree in just anything plus an in-person TEFL is no longer adequate.

What are the current govt requirements, as opposed to university preferences?
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim Macintosh wrote:
I have a related question:

Under the new laws, to get a Work Permit to teach English as a foreigner must one have at least an undergraduate university degree in English, Teaching, Linguistics, etc?

I have a friend going through the process at a dershanı (private school), and her application has been bounced back from Ankara asking for her university transcript (not just the original diploma), which has not been required previously. From reading the various adverts I am getting the sense that a degree in just anything plus an in-person TEFL is no longer adequate.

What are the current govt requirements, as opposed to university preferences?

I have a university asking me for all the paperwork. They never asked me for my transcripts. They asked for translations of my M.A., B.A., and teaching certificate. I didn't request transcripts from my university, but I will work on that tomorrow just-in-case since you the regulations might be changing. I will check with the university to see if I need them or not. Yes, I understand that I would have to get a work permit and, only then will be able to get a residency permit. I was told by the university that it doesn't matter if I live in Korea at the moment.
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get caught up too much in the distinctions, but a valid Work permit covers the Residency issue: you will only need to procure the WP.

It could be that on submission of a diploma in business that Ankara was requesting evidence that she might yet still be qualified. Having a formal education/English/linguistics diploma might simply make further evidence unnecessary.

It's easy enough to scan and carry the transcripts AND to keep original copies along with your diplomas, as I do.
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another PS.....

Translations are easier and cheaper here. You're doing them a favor. They may yet have to take your translations to a local translator to have them properly stamped for local needs.

As I said, the reputable local universities are set up to do ALL this stuff for you, totally at their expense. When they have need of a native English speaker with substantial experience and qualifications, there isn't THAT much they have to choose from.

Culturally, they're also far more disposed to hire someone whose their in-person. But, then again, who wouldn't? Skype interviews are at best thin. That they are pursuing things with you LD says a lot.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim Macintosh wrote:
Another PS.....

Translations are easier and cheaper here. You're doing them a favor. They may yet have to take your translations to a local translator to have them properly stamped for local needs.

As I said, the reputable local universities are set up to do ALL this stuff for you, totally at their expense. When they have need of a native English speaker with substantial experience and qualifications, there isn't THAT much they have to choose from.

Culturally, they're also far more disposed to hire someone whose their in-person. But, then again, who wouldn't? Skype interviews are at best thin. That they are pursuing things with you LD says a lot.

Kim, you seem like a kind soul. Are you currently working in Turkiye/Turkey? They do have translations, and they are stamped and all official and also notarized. I did all that when I was on holiday/vacation in Istanbul. I also signed a paper after someone interviewed me about my work history and knowledge of languages. I gave them passport photos, a copy of passport page, a copy of my visa to Turkey when I was there. I was not informed about transcripts. I will keep looking on the internet to make sure I understand the process. It seems more straight-forward in other countries. If anyone happens to be working in Turkey at the moment, I would love to speak to you about the process.

Thank you...Yardim icin cok tesekkurler.
Iyi gunler.
misskismet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While private schools may pay for all that stuff, if you're going to work at a goverment university, you have to do it and pay for it yourself. Therefore nothing to do with reputable/non reputable schools.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misskismet wrote:
While private schools may pay for all that stuff, if you're going to work at a goverment university, you have to do it and pay for it yourself. Therefore nothing to do with reputable/non reputable schools.

What are the advantages of working at a private university versus a public one, in general? Yes, I had to pay for all the paperwork I've had to do so far. Nothing's being covered. They'll pay the salary, health insurance and what not i.e. what's expected, but not for my visa, from what I understand. It's not unusual, I suppose.
misskismet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously depends on the specific uni in question, but in general:

Private uni:
Higher salary
Free lunch
Very stingy holidays
You have to be there all the time
Smaller classes
Better facilities - smart boards, laptops etc
Micro management

Government uni:
Lower salary
No free lunch - almost no free anything in fact
Generous holidays
You only have to go in to teach
More freedom
Bigger classes
Brighter and more willing students from poorer backgrounds
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misskismet wrote:
Obviously depends on the specific uni in question, but in general:

Private uni:
Higher salary
Free lunch
Very stingy holidays
You have to be there all the time
Smaller classes
Better facilities - smart boards, laptops etc
Micro management

Government uni:
Lower salary
No free lunch - almost no free anything in fact
Generous holidays
You only have to go in to teach
More freedom
Bigger classes
Brighter and more willing students from poorer backgrounds

The government job sounds somewhat better. Of course, I like having technology. That's one major disadvantage. I can make do. Everyone likes time off. I don't like having to be there all the time, though I'm often at work, anyway. Starting out, a government job sounds better while you're still trying to get to know the country. I like the idea of more willing students. How about the students at the private unis? Is it legal to do private (give private lessons). It's technically illegal in South Korea while it's not in Japan. I know many do it in Turkey, but I don't know how discrete expats have to about that.

Thanks a ton for all the information. Bilgi icin cok tesekkurler.
nichtta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRambo wrote:
Is it legal to do private (give private lessons). It's technically illegal in South Korea while it's not in Japan. I know many do it in Turkey, but I don't know how discrete expats have to about that.

First of all, welcome to Turkey!

It's might be against your contract, but I've never heard of anyone who cares enough to actually enforce such a rule. Just teach privately, take your earnings, and you don't need to report them to anyone. They're a good supplement to your salary, especially since it seems you've chosen a public university, which don't usually pay so well.

Just as an example, I have people in my department encouraging me to look for other part-time jobs to supplement my own government salary. There are also people at my school--other employees--who have asked me to tutor them after work.

In other words, it's not such a big deal, but don't short change yourself! Ask for a lot per hour, not being afraid to start at 100 TL (it happens), then have them bargain it down if you're willing to accept less than that. Turks seem to tutor for about 50 TL / hour here in Istanbul, just to give you an idea of what a usual rate is for locals teaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: