Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A CELTA Enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: A CELTA Enough? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Posted in the general discussion a few days ago but want to follow up with a few questions.

Have been looking at the jobs in the ME region for the requirements and most companies want the usual things like CELTA, MA etc, but what I'd like to know from seasoned teachers living in the Saudi and other ME countries is, would a CELTA + couple years of experience only cut it? Would you only be offered bottom of the rung jobs?

In a hypothetical situation, would a CELTA + a couple of years in say Vietnam cut it in Saudi or would the experience post-CELTA have to be in Europe? What do employers look more favourably on?

Thanks for any advice folks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated on your other thread, without a related MA + a minimum of 3 years of post-MA experience, forget Qatar, Kuwait, and the UAE.

A CELTA + an unrelated BA + Asian experience teaching adults puts you at the bottom for jobs in KSA. Having European TEFL experience won't make any difference. Oman is a possibility if the job ad states unrelated degrees are accepted. Frankly, not having a TEFL-relevant degree is the bigger issue.
Baggio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically a CELTA + MA is the bare essential to be in with a chance for a decent job in the ME?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Decent" in terms of the better direct-hire positions in KSA. Generally, anything less than a related MA, valid TEFL qualification, and a year or two of relevant experience will pretty much get you a lousy to okay position with a Saudi contracting company (the majority of jobs posted on the Cafe's job board). Obviously, you can apply to any job you feel you're qualified for, but qualifications do matter. Also, keep in mind that KSA doesn't accept degrees and TEFL certs that entailed online instruction.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggio wrote:
So basically a CELTA + MA is the bare essential to be in with a chance for a decent job in the ME?

BA + CELTA for entry level...

Related MA is needed for nearly all university level jobs, especially for women. (most jobs don't require a CELTA if you have an MA)

plus experience stated in advertisement.

VS
abdi181

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 1 more quarter from finishing my Masters. I have the option of going MA.ed (research paper needed) OR MEd route. In terms of teaching in KSA does it matter? Which one should I go for?

Thanks
Hatcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA is TOO MUCH for teaching in Saudi. And please stop calling it teaching, it is just babysitting.[url][/url]
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abdi181 wrote:
I am 1 more quarter from finishing my Masters. I have the option of going MA.ed (research paper needed) OR MEd route. In terms of teaching in KSA does it matter? Which one should I go for?

Thanks

From what I see, you don't strictly need research for one the positions that NS talks about but it's probably better to do so, especially if you can find a research topic relevant to the ME. Either way the MA alone will be enough to get you in the door, then start building up your publications and such.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abdi181 wrote:

It's hard to say without knowing which university these M.Ed. and MA.Ed. programs are through---we know nothing of the course content. So just use your best judgment.

By the way, if you've completed courses via online toward this degree, it won't matter which option you take since KSA doesn't recognize degrees with online coursework.
Baggio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks, a few more questions:

Would my two years worth of teaching experience thus far (1 year in China, 1 in Korea) count for anything in the ME?

Would a CELTA + DELTA be considered in KSA instead of a CELTA + MA?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggio wrote:
Would my two years worth of teaching experience thus far (1 year in China, 1 in Korea) count for anything in the ME?

Probably yes for KSA depending on what that experience entailed. I've already stated what's required for the rest of the region.

and wrote:
Would a CELTA + DELTA be considered in KSA instead of a CELTA + MA?

No, not for positions that require a relevant MA. Again, use the job ads as a guide.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job I interviewed for in KSA specifically said that any experience before obtaining the MA would mean nothing to the employer so far as calculating salary goes.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a given, but if it is related experience, it may get you considered for a position...

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abdi181 wrote:

I would think that if the MEd included a practicum and actual teaching experience, it would serve you better than a research track. No employer has ever asked me about my research topic. However, when you do an intern semester, you actually get references who have seen you in action for your CV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: