Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The problem with English teachers in Moscow...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maruss

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: be careful..... Reply with quote

From experience I have learned that Russians can be surprisingly generous.....but then they may well ask something from you which far outweighs what they have done for you before!Be almost certain that your refusal may well mean the end of your friendship with them,unless they are convinced that you are genuinely unable to fulfill their request!
This is a tricky subject which needs very careful handling and has resulted in many inter cultural misunderstandings between ex-pats and Russians,including divorces and lifetime estrangements....
the old saying, 'a friend in need' has many interpretations!
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! A Russian friend of mine bought me a drink once. In return, he wanted me to murder the entire population of a small town.

I tried to argue that this was a rather uneven favour, but he wasn't having any of my excuses.

What could I do? 9,812 people. I just couldn't get the stains out and had to buy a new outfit.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the drink?
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Schofield wrote:
Yeah! A Russian friend of mine bought me a drink once. In return, he wanted me to murder the entire population of a small town.

I tried to argue that this was a rather uneven favour, but he wasn't having any of my excuses.

What could I do? 9,812 people. I just couldn't get the stains out and had to buy a new outfit.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
maruss

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: WHAT WAS THE DRINK??? Reply with quote

Probably home made in Berezhniki by some ex cons! :
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT WAS THE DRINK??? Reply with quote

How about those who claim to not be expats in Moscow, simply because they have a few Russian friends they hang out with, and get highly offended when they're referred to as one?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not come across such types myself. Has anyone?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly annoying is Russian colleagues complaining about all the immigrants invading Moscow, meaning central Asians or Caucasians, yet are oblivious to how it sounds to non-Russian teachers...
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Slightly annoying is Russian colleagues complaining about all the immigrants invading Moscow, meaning central Asians or Caucasians, yet are oblivious to how it sounds to non-Russian teachers...

Ahaha, I have had many students do that.
One student declared, "I ******* hate foreigners".

I looked at him and simply said, "I'm a foreigner", to which he replied with, "Nah, you don't count. You're cool".

I was somewhat flattered, but continued to remain unsure of what actually constitutes 'foreign' in their minds. I assume 'foreign' mainly refers to people from any country ending in 'stan'.
Deats

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign to them means non-white.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: 'foreigners' Reply with quote

generally speaking, many Muscovites don't much like people from former S.U. countries,especially Asians and the Caucasus, who they consider have invaded the capital and live illegally there.They consider them responsible for most of the problems the city is facing,from overcrowding to drug trafficking and even the perceived threat from Moslem extremism etc!This can also extend to prejudice against Ukrainians and Moldovans etc. regardless of whether these people are being exploited as cheap labour in jobs which most Russians shun?
Similar situations exist in other countries of course and the U.K. is no exception-it was used as an argument by the UKIP party in the election,but did not get the support they had hoped for.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, Maruss. I beleive that foreign EFLers are the root of most of the criminal issues in Moscow today. Drug and alcohol abuse, prostitution, fraud, the list goes on...
maruss

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Prostitution!! Reply with quote

Wow Sasha-I know that wages have fallen but I didn't realise teachers were having to turn to that to get by!!!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF teachers been making money on the side on the game for the last couple of years already. Needs must!
maruss

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Wow!! Reply with quote

You mean girls and guys Sasha????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: