Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The problem with English teachers in Moscow...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference is quite Victorian. There's a greater chance of committing the sin of getting caught with visa violations. Undeclared income is par for the course. Even deputies in the Duma do this routinely ...
Deats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG it's a lost cause trying to explain the economy to some.

By your reckoning it's great for a government to have a weak currency... really? Then why do all governments prefer not to have a weak currency? Only massive exporters don't want a strong currency (which is why China's RMB is pegged to the USD)

You still don't understand, unfortunately.

Countries DO NOT PAY IN ROUBLES. So Russia receives LESS money than before. Before it got $110 a barrel, now it gets $55. END OF STORY.

What the government does with that money is irrelevant. Russia prints the rouble. It is their money. The government can print as much of it as they like, cos it just devalues the money. Look at inflation in Russia at the minute. Your roubles WILL NOT buy what they bought last year. But your USD WILL!!! Why is that? Duh.

It's like banging my head against a brick wall.
Deats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore, the article you linked to is totally dumb. It claims that Russia has inflation of 9-10%??? Really? Where is this moron getting his data from?

Look here:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/inflation-cpi

I suggest you actually find reliable sources before commenting on things you clearly have little understanding about.

Here's a link from Forbes when the crisis hit:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbes/2014/12/16/why-russia-is-wrecking-the-ruble/

There are a million more like it. 99% of people who understand economics realise the rouble is in a horrible state. Why do you think the Russian government spent BILLIONS of dollars trying to prop it up? If they were winning from a weak rouble, then why have they so desperately spent (wasted) their reserves on propping it up???

I might start charging for all this schooling I'm giving you.
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
If they were winning from a weak rouble, then why have they so desperately spent (wasted) their reserves on propping it up???

Pffft, that's an easy one. Because the Russian oligarchy has long been known to be completely against material wealth. The government was throwing away all that money because they (like all Russians) abhor money and everything it stands for.
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: not a good situation? Reply with quote

Whatever anyone tries to say using statistics most people there will tell you that they are definitely a lot worse off than a year ago-many have seen their savings evaporate in real terms and imported products are more expensive-many necessities come into this category.Although the rouble exchange rate has improved recently the overall outlook is still very dubious and this creates a lack of confidence,making people reluctant to spend unless they have to.
A good example is on foreign travel and holidays which affects Cyprus as the Russian market expanded very fast in recent years and far too many hoteliers here foolishly became dependent on it,despite warnings to concentrate on other traditional markets which have supported the island for decades.Even my closest friend who was earning a very good salary in Moscow wrote only yesterday that he has lost around 1800 euros PER MONTH from his salary and this year will probably go to his country house or maybe a trip to Crimea or the Black Sea where they can spend roubles and not buy air tickets etc,
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better to invest locally, eh?

Anyway, in 2008-9, many of the same problems arose. Food prices increased then too, salaries devalued, because of the euro and dollar crisis. Strangely enough, we are still alive, in gainful employment, and enjoying life...
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider yourself lucky to be earning at least $1,000/Month teaching English in Moscow and having a job...there are many unemployed EFL teachers looking to work in Russia these days ... especially fresh graduates from the UK and US and demand for their teaching services is getting lower by the day due to market forces. EFL teaching wages are falling everywhere in the world and not only in Russia. Shocked
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The invisible hand correcting the market? Clients waking up to the reality that many eflers are quite inept, would you say?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all related to market forces aka economics...things have changed a lot since EFL hit the scene some 30 years ago...nowadays TEFL graduates armed with degrees in hand are as common as daily laborers (who needn't have a degree and/or certificate in most cases). Shocked
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the wrong page for capitalist economics. Some severe disagreements on this page as to how it works : )
Foma87

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how you can speak to the amount of native english teachers looking to teach in Russia, much less those that do feeling lucky to be making $1000 a month. Does your knowledge of the esl market really go back 30 years? As for the market in Moscow, I haven't witnessed any downturn in the amount of requests I get, many of whom are passed on to my colleagues, who also seem to be doing fine. I imagine those happy to be making $1000 a month are not serious about the profession, or completely clueless. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that the Russian economy is in tatters and therefore much less of an attractive place to make a living as a teacher.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True in the main. Having a degree is not enough. Having some sort of teaching training and classroom sense is vital too. And with that, a lot more than 1000 dollars is in reach. But only after building up a few decent contacts. Then, like Foma87, there will be too many students to timetable for. Not a bad state of affairs.

I'm not sure how attractive Russia would have been for most aspiring TEFLers anyway. The climate would be the biggest turn-off for most people. But there is still nowhere in Europe to compare to the earning potential here. Even after the turbulence with the foreign exchange...
Foma87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wager the main reason people decide to teach in Russia is not earning potential, but rather the culture, and all the positives it offers. Most english teachers don't seem to be motivated too much by economic concerns anyway, though anyone serious about the profession will seek to maximise profits wherever they ultimately decide to teach. The fact that those of us in Russia, well, namely Moscow, benefit from comparably high wages and little to no taxes is an added bonus. And I think you're probably right Sasha, those who work exclusively with privates, probably do make more than they would be in Europe, even after the crises.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have also posted many times that Moscow, and Russia generally, attracts EFLers mainly with the promise of a exotic locale. By and large, it lives up to this, though perhaps not in the way people expect initially. But the longer you stay, the more earnings become important. Home and family cost here - just like at home, wherever home may be.
maruss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Absolutely Sasha! Reply with quote

My best Russian friend who was in the upper income bracket in Moscow until last year,earning over 4000 euros per month,wrote last week that his salary has gone down by 1800 euros per month and his assistant was fired,along with some other staff,meaning that he is effectively doing two jobs for half the money he earned previously......the consequences,people reduce their spending on non-essentials such as foreign travel,imported luxury goods,eat at home instead of out and generally try to save money.Nobody can predict how long the situation will last so this is obviously the trend,bearing in mind that even in Moscow there are plenty of people who were on low wages anyway so life for them is even harder.
Go further afield and the situation is much more dire-for example I have a friend in Omsk who works in a bookshop as she cannot find regular teaching work--for a princely 7000 roubles PER MONTH!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: