Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does TATI mean by this ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: What does TATI mean by this ? Reply with quote

TATI states that one of its requirements/options to qualify as an
ESL lecturer is :

BA English + Post Graduate Diploma in EFL/ESL

What does this mean ?
No need for a CELTA ?
Is an ESL certificate ok ?
water rat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that they mean CELTA/DELTA/TESL certification - the person who wrote the ad is just unfamiliar with the lingo.

When I send out my CV I tend to ignore requests for diplomas, transcripts, passport mainpages and their "required" background. I find that if they really need someone, or simply like the way you look in your photo, they will respond. In my case, my many years of experience and that in my photo I look like an English teacher is often sufficient to get a reply and even the job eventually.

But even more than this, people just aren't that honest about what they write They imagine they have to write an ad a certain way, but the actual procedures and requirements of their school and their nation may be quite different. Not TATI, but some employers will insist in their ad on an M.A. in linguistics and a B.A in education plus X years of experience, and then hire anyone who is foolish enough to have made an inquiry to their raggedy-assed institution. Laughing

Last edited by water rat on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do not send my diploma, transcripts, passport copy etc....
unless I have had an interview first.

Thanks for the info.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaharaDesert wrote:

The problem with that strategy is that most employers/recruiters require this documentation to assess your qualifications for the position---to determine if they should proceed with an interview. Without it, your application package is likely to be considered incomplete and not worth a second glance. Besides, it won't help you stand out if all the other applicants provided their scanned information up front.
water rat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
SaharaDesert wrote:

The problem with that strategy is that most employers/recruiters require this documentation to assess your qualifications for the position---to determine if they should proceed with an interview. Without it, your application package is likely to be considered incomplete and not worth a second glance. Besides, it won't help you stand out if all the other applicants provided their scanned information up front.
And yet, I nearly always get responses despite using this strategy. I only ever need a new job once every few years and if a place is interested in me, they write back and politely ask me for the documents again.
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing with TATI is that half the staff haven't a clue regarding qualifications and requirements-and they are soon going to be obsolete with regards recruitment for the MOM colleges....
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

water rat wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
SaharaDesert wrote:

And yet, I nearly always get responses despite using this strategy. I only ever need a new job once every few years and if a place is interested in me, they write back and politely ask me for the documents again.

That's likely because your qualifications were above the minimum. Still, it's not worth the risk, especially if you're really interested in the position. Plus, not all applications can be submitted via email; more employers use automated HR systems that won't let your application go through unless you've uploaded all the requisite documents.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Thing with TATI is that half the staff haven't a clue regarding qualifications and requirements-and they are soon going to be obsolete with regards recruitment for the MOM colleges....

Tazz, why is Tati soon going to be ''obsolete with regards recruitment for the MOM colleges''?
Explain, please.
balqis
madrileno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
Tazz wrote:

Tazz, why is Tati soon going to be ''obsolete with regards recruitment for the MOM colleges''?
Explain, please.
balqis

The past couple of months, representatives from the MoM in Muscat have been visiting all the HCTs and making all employees fill out "security forms".

The reason they gave for this was the document was for a security check; similar to a CBC in the States.

Of course, it didn't go unnoticed by everyone who filled these out that the titles above these forms read, "Application to join the Ministry of Manpower", and required you to fill in all the typical info when you apply somewhere: name, references, credentials, etc. Employees were also required to provide copies of their degree/s, passport, and National ID card.

Add to this the rumor that's been floating around the past few years that the Ministry will phase out all the recruiting companies, and take on all the employees and have everyone be working under the MoM.

This latest development with the "security forms" has everyone talking that this is soon to become a reality, probably within the next couple of years.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Madrileno. Now I see.
So, if I plan to apply to Kuliyat Takaniya in Oman for the next academic year, what should I do? The MoM website is not accepting applications, and they still list a number of agencies as recruiters on their behalf. What to do then? Kindly, advise.
balqis
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would apply to the ads. It appears that they will be just transferring any current employees.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colleges of technology are being transferred to the MoHE so maybe this is having an effect too.
balqis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what does it mean for next year's employment at Kuliyat Takaniya?? Who is going to recruit for Takanya?? Hawthorne?? Where to apply then?
There is no info to this effect on either website, MoHE oir MoM.
May those who know more than the average us explain???
balqis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And besides, Tati a fwe days ago was still recruiting for Kuliyat Takanyia and still for the MoM, as can be seen in their advert.
Then who knows the truth?

balqis [ I don't]
madrileno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
And besides, Tati a fwe days ago was still recruiting for Kuliyat Takanyia and still for the MoM, as can be seen in their advert.
Then who knows the truth?

No one knows.

Just apply to the TATI ads like VS suggested. The ministry transfer won't happen for at least a couple of years, considering the pace at which things get done in the gulf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: