Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Positions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: University Positions Reply with quote

I'm in a very preliminary stage of researching uni jobs in Thailand and would be very grateful for some guidance.When does the first semester start? Importantly, what quals do they look for? Even more importantly - is there work available in the uni sector for EAP/EAL teachers?

If yes to the last question: Are there any sites I could go to or should I email individual unis? I'm not picky about location which is why a general site would be good! I'm not in Thailand but am in Asia so ideally would like to apply from abroad, but could attend a second or third interview there.

Thanks a lot!
AjarnDavid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: University Positions Reply with quote

As far as I know, first semester starts in August for most universities.

In terms of qualifications, the top universities want a masters degree in a related field. That doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, however. Many university teachers don't have a masters degree - only a bachelors degree, a TEFL certificate and some teaching experience.

In terms of work available, there is a need for EAP teachers. Universities have students majoring in English, and those students take classes in the EAP field. I teach critical reading and academic writing, for example. There are also masters programs in ESP.

Most Thai universities don't post openings on international job sites, but there are a couple that do post on Thai sites. I don't recall the websites, but you could probably search for them.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL teaching jobs at universities are few and far between here.....the pay itself is dismal...most pay around Baht 25,000/Month in Bangkok FULL TIME with few or no benefits at all. You will find that you will have to work a lot of extra hours (overtime) in addition to your regular teaching load to save any money at all! Shocked
adaruby

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: University Positions Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
I'm in a very preliminary stage of researching uni jobs in Thailand and would be very grateful for some guidance.When does the first semester start? Importantly, what quals do they look for? Even more importantly - is there work available in the uni sector for EAP/EAL teachers?

If yes to the last question: Are there any sites I could go to or should I email individual unis? I'm not picky about location which is why a general site would be good! I'm not in Thailand but am in Asia so ideally would like to apply from abroad, but could attend a second or third interview there.

Thanks a lot!

A friend of mine with an MA in TESOL has a job with a private university in Bangkok. She's earning around THB100,000 a month.
danmbob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you tell us where your friend works? does anyone know the going rate for universities outside of Bangkok? maybe in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai?
Nuolan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmbob wrote:
can you tell us where your friend works? does anyone know the going rate for universities outside of Bangkok? maybe in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai?

At government universities (unless this has changed recently) the going rate is 20k THB per month plus 8,600 THB housing allowance. This is for 14-16 teaching hours a week. I've seen quite a few ads previously that offer extra work at an hourly rate. Not all advertise exactly how much that hourly rate is, but I have seen 600-800THB ph in the past.
adaruby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: University Positions Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:
eihpos wrote:

Thanks a lot!

A friend of mine with an MA in TESOL has a job with a private university in Bangkok. She's earning around THB100,000 a month.

danmbob wrote:
can you tell us where your friend works?

I guess the key thing is that it's a private uni. Whether this figure includes extra classes on top of the uni pay I don't know, but their previous teaching salary wasn't a great deal less.

Just goes to show that the money's out there if you've got the qualifications.
Nuolan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: University Positions Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:
adaruby wrote:
eihpos wrote:

Thanks a lot!

danmbob wrote:
can you tell us where your friend works?

I guess the key thing is that it's a private uni. Whether this figure includes extra classes on top of the uni pay I don't know, but their previous teaching salary wasn't a great deal less.

Just goes to show that the money's out there if you've got the qualifications.

This. Although sometimes it doesn't matter. I know two guys who teach at an international program here, both only have bachelor degrees and make 1000+ baht an hour.
AjarnDavid

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Gov't university pay Reply with quote

As a teacher at a gov't university, I am very familiar with the pay. The base pay is low - under 30,000 per month, including housing. However, it is fairly easy to double that pay by teaching extra classes. Where I work, the hourly rate is 1,000 baht per hour for teaching extra classes for special program students, and approximately 1,300 for teaching international students.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most government universities that I am aware of in Bangkok pay Baht 300/Hour for teaching overtime...not Baht 1,000...that's what a private or business run university might pay if you are very lucky to have the job! Shocked Shocked
AjarnDavid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better universities pay well for hourly work (Chula, Thammasat, Mahidol, and Kasetsart, for example). You should be making at least 1,000 baht per hour for teaching extra classes at any of these schools.

I'm sure that many of the technical colleges and lower-end universities pay a lot less though.
Shakey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the full time salary at Burapha international college in Chon is?

Is it a good place to work?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around Baht 30,000 per month....nice place to teach and good students. Smile
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:

You wouldn't happen to work there, would you?

Nice to know, thanks. I'm thinking about dropping off a resume.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: