Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ma Degrees - which countries can you get them from?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deats

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Ma Degrees - which countries can you get them from? Reply with quote

I understand that most countries in the ME won't accept online MA's.

But where will they accept MA's from? Is South Africa a possibility (in class)?

Thanks for your advice!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ma Degrees - which countries can you get them from? Reply with quote

Stick with universities in major Anglophone countries.
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a new law in SA that states MA holds are not entitled to bring their families with them to SA. Not just that the employer won't pay costs; the family can not even get a visa to come live there.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliasrachel wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a new law in SA that states MA holds are not entitled to bring their families with them to SA. Not just that the employer won't pay costs; the family can not even get a visa to come live there.

By "SA" are you talking about South Africa or KSA? Is this "law" related to KSA?

If you mean KSA, do you have a link backing this up? You are the first to mention this "law" and according to your posts, you haven't taught in this part of the world.

VS
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I mean KSA, and I do work here. While I don't have a link to this new law, my employer is currently recruiting new teachers and they have told potential hires that if they hold an MA only, they will not be allowed to bring their family with them. The family is allowed to visit, but can not stay past a certain period of time. This is what my employer has told us; I don't think they would say so if it weren't true, especially as a few qualified instructors have self-selected out of candidacy because they would have to come here without their families.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check this. Is it a new regulation or an excuse by an employer to minimise costs ? Does it apply to females trying to bring in dependants and only to them ?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but that may be because your employer doesn't want to jump through the hoops - nothing you've written backs up the notion that it's a new national law.

Quote:
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliasrachel wrote:
While I don't have a link to this new law, my employer is currently recruiting new teachers and they have told potential hires that if they hold an MA only, they will not be allowed to bring their family with them.

Do you work for a contracting company or are you a direct hire?
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a direct hire. No dependents. It may well be that this is untrue, but I can say that we need female teachers and if the uni just doesn't want to jump through hoops, then they are going to lose out on faculty hires. A colleague on the hiring panel says they interviewed a wonderful candidate but she will only come if her family can.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was at least one other female poster in the last 3-5 months who had mentioned this issue. I suspect it applies only to women.
myohmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be surprised if there is any such law. In fact, where I work, I have heard that only MA holders can bring dependents. If you have a mere BA, you are out of luck.
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with one of our management and was told that the uni wanted to hire a male teacher with an MA but when they told him his family won't be able to come along, he declined the job offer. Word around our HR/hiring committee is only Ph.D. holders can bring families. Those MAs who are already here with families are grandfathered in.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every employer in KSA has always tended to make their rules as they go along. There have been many employers that only did single status contracts for years. Since employers are always looking for ways to save money, this is an easy choice. I don't see this as a government rule or law.

VS
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: One of my colleagues (an MA holder) was just told that her husband's iqama won't be renewed because she's on a PhD. Our Dean is trying to grandfather him in, as he had an iqama last year.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly sure that if this is a new rule from the Jawazat that it applies only to women trying to bring in their husband.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: