Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In-country Diploma of Teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomAndHuck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: In-country Diploma of Teaching Reply with quote

Was told recently, following the coup, that teachers must either now have a masters level degree, or teaching certification from a foreign institution to continue to receive a work permit.

OK. Fine.

Was given the information today: I need to spend 75 consecutive Saturdays at a University in the suburbs of Bangkok (4 hr commute each way for me), with 10 consecutive hours of study per Saturday. This is not for a Masters degree, but to get my "diploma of teaching" in Thailand - which will allow me to continue with my work permit indefinitely. My out of pocket cost = $3000 US. Plus travel, plus hotel, *every* saturday for 10 hours without letup for 1 year and 1/2.

Ostensibly this is to increase the level of qualification for anyone who wants to work in country. Guess what? More than likely, Nobody, starting with me, is going to put up with loss of weekends for 18 consecutive months, plus go broke out of pocket just to get an official certificate that pleases exactly how many immigration or labor bureau officials and nobody else? Such requirements are going to eviscerate the work force and not strengthen it. This will likely be the end of the line for me.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they call this "Professional Development" Thai style....seriously though with so many new rules and regulations being enforced these days by the powers that be it is know wonder a lot newbies (and OLD TIMERS) will eventually soon quit this profession...especially when salaries and wages keep falling as they are in the region!!!!!!! Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is true then the MOE has gone completely bonkers. I would expect an increase in pay for undergoing such an extensive endeavor, but that is unlikely since that area is unregulated by the government. In addition, I would expect a huge amount of change in the professionalism at the schools but that is unlikely also. The government is like all Asian countries deluded into thinking that one edict can significantly upgrade their appalling educational system.
TomAndHuck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now clarified - anyone working at International School, must have an EDUCATION qualification. If you teach computers and have a grad degree in computer science, then you are out of luck. You will need a Teacher's Certificate from your home country, or a grad level EDUCATION degree before you can continue with the work permit for employment at an International School. 20+ years of work experience holds zero weight. If you want to work in the trenches at the public schools, I believe that this does not apply for you.

There is almost No information at all on this in English online. ONLY info I was given to obtain a Diploma of Teaching was from St Theresa Intl College - in Nakon Nayok north of Bangkok. If what I was told is correct, this is the ONLY available location to get the Diploma. Others may exist, but nowhere near me. St. Theresa is 4 hour commute each way for me.
Apparently no other institutions or times except this one are available.

Only study day is Saturday. 8am - 6pm. Every Saturday for 75 consecutive weekends to qualify for the Diploma of Teaching. Cost over 75,000 B, not including travel, hotel or expenses. This must be done if you are an "International" school teacher. No Grad degrees unless they are on an approved list that nobody I know seems to have access to. So, I have to spend every weekend for the next 1.5 years spending my entire weekend, from Friday night, sleep in Bangkok suburbs, then up early and study until late on Saturday night studying up on Self-Actualization, Ed Philosophy, Language and Culture, Psychology for Teacher, Curriculum Development, Classroom Management, Info Technology, Research, Quality Assurance, Practicum and Internship. Apparently the internship can be dropped.

Again, this is if you are employed at an "International" school. These are "international" standards. Time served in country carries no weight.
Have also been told that getting this Diploma is (1) non-negotiable and (2) will not result in any pay grade increase.

This effectively cancels any benefit I may have realized from upgrading to work at a so-called international school. After expenses, commute headache and collapse of any free time, makes it seem pretty ludicrous and pointless to work at a 'prestigious' 'high salary' international school.

Good Morning, Vietnam??
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed....just a waste of time and money IMHO...this is the unfortunate reality of our times. Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this apply to Thai Schools where it's convenient that they decide they are international schools? To teach at an accredited International School a teacher already has to be licensed in his own country anyway, or the school will lose it's accreditation.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that many Thai schools advertising on the web are beginning to increase their requirements for native English speakers...many are requiring EFL teachers to have a minimum of a Bachelors degree in Education only to qualify for a job + a CELTA. (No other degrees are accepted) some are even requiring a Masters degree in Education with a major in TEFL....but for a salary offer of Baht 30,000/Month at government and private schools + few benefits (if any) makes me wonder if they are serious! Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is absolutely appalling, disgusting.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school I worked at had maybe one person, an American, that I know of that had an Education degree. We're talking like 30 native teachers. There are few teachers with actual education degrees that will tolerate the low salaries just to be in Thailand. I wouldn't. If you are as much as licensed go to Taiwan or Korea. However the fake International Schools in Thailand tend to pay more and hence will attract more teachers with Education Bachelor's than the other schools. When I was at the University in Thailand for my Master's, several students with licenses where heading to these schools.

The fake International School situation brings up the reality that the MOE has to force accountability on the schools and on the individual students. The real international schools are accredited by the West and are non-profit and have school and student accountability. Students that don't perform bye bye, and schools that don't perform bye bye accreditation.
TomAndHuck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hours not as bad as expected 9-12 then 1-4. Bad thing is it is in the middle of nowhere. Taxi cost is $100 round trip. $400 per month takes me back down to public school level of salary. No real reason to have this "international" school job because the salary now is effectively equal to the regular "bad" schools. If I can share on the taxi with other teachers then maybe it is not so bad. Other teachers to possibly share with are Chinese and Philippine, with salaries markedly lower than mine, so this is a huge trauma for them.

And, this is the ONLY option, since I have to have finished before end of 2016, and no other programs are available - anywhere - for this critical mandatory course. Schedule is 18 months long. A few weekends off for holiday but not many. I understand the need here, but not the near impossible, most inconvenient conditions imaginable to fulfill it.

Schedule includes 6 full weeks devoted to curriculum development. I have about 17,000 hours classroom experience, so I surely expect this one to help me immeasurably. I really want 'IT in the classroom'. But it is not until summer of 2016. Not sure what my mental health would be like if I make it that far.

Note, in my school, all the certified teachers, and the admin, are really overwhelmed about computers or networks. They could use my skills a lot more than your average, proper educationally certified teacher who will probably not also have equivalent 15 years experience of work as a programmer coder, or server admin at an ISP.

And I also recently witnessed a well-certified, probably by now un-fireable teacher exhibit the most awful, unprofessional behavior on 11 year olds bordering on abuse - so I am under no illusions about the differences and implications between certified and qualified.

I predict huge numbers will soon drop out and leave the country You would think that salaries would now instantly go through the roof with the serious need to compete with international school salaries abroad, but I will not be holding my breath
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding one's breath for salaries to go through the roof here in Thailand when undergoing any kind of professional development training here is like holding out so you can win the Thai lottery! I agree all this is a total waste of one's time and money as per my earlier email Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The country will move from one wizard to the next. Hard work with rewards will never occur to the Thais as necessary for success especially when it comes to education.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to any work-related problems, it is a bit difficult to believe that there is anyone remaining in Thailand trying to make a career of teaching, especially with the political (and economic) situation slowly but surely deteriorating, as was easily predicted last year. Question

For more info, see:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-junta-lifts-martial/1761978.html

excerpt:

Quote:

"Article 44 of the interim constitution gives Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who is also junta chief, power over all aspects of government, law and order.

"The televised statement said Article 44 would allow the military to "catch anyone and hand them over to an investigation team", to help with investigations and to search buildings in the interests of national security.

"Article 44 has sparked concern among rights groups, political parties and some academics, who say it will give Prayuth unchecked authority."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: