Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Oxford Seminars certification courses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntropy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Teaching Oxford Seminars certification courses Reply with quote

Oxford often runs their 100-hour teacher training certification courses across varies cities.

How are they to work for?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed with them once years back and declined the job.
The course at that time was mostly about 'how to get a job' and 'how to live in a foreign country' as opposed to 'how to teach languages effectively.' I can't comment on whether the program is well or badly managed, but I wasn't personally impressed with the content and didn't want to be associated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of one person who has consistently taught for Oxford Seminars for the past 6 years in addition to her regular TESL job at a vocational school. She finds it to be easy work. No surprise there.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
The course at that time was mostly about 'how to get a job' and 'how to live in a foreign country' as opposed to 'how to teach languages effectively.'

It looks like they've broadened their curriculum since then.

http://www.oxfordseminars.com/tesol-tesl-tefl-course/course-outline.php

That being said, it doesn't really measure up to the standard 120 hours plus supervised teaching practice.
Global_Nomad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Management is easy to deal with, no politics and there is a fair bit of how to teach a language. Good way to supplement your income on weekends.
fraup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught for Oxford in the past and found the materials to be good--students get Harmer's How to Teach English and a pretty comprehensive teacher's manual which includes a useful section on classroom management along with a few short "what-if" situations for discussion. They've added a 40 hour online component (extra grammar) and a text to go along with that as well.

There are a few minor issues I have. The effectiveness of the course depends to a great extent on the individual instructor, who will need to use a variety of methods (lecture/group work/videos etc.) to counter students' exhaustion late in the day. The big drawback, in my opinion, is that practicum lessons must be done in an artificial environment, with other native English speakers as "students". I've encouraged my classes to imagine they're just learning the language, and to make mistakes so that the student teacher can practice correcting. This works at times--some "students" have enthusiastically developed Russian, Spanish, French, and other accents, with often hilarious results. But a lot of my students had already gotten some experience with ESL learners, and were in the class to improve their teaching (and job prospects).

In general, I can recommend teaching for Oxford. I'm pretty sure they are fairly selective in hiring, since there's an ever-growing pool of experienced people to choose from.
Global_Nomad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working for them for a few years now and echo everything fraup has said.
ntropy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

How nice to have a thread with thoughtful and useful replies, was civil and didn't get hijacked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: