Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International School of Querétaro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmarc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: International School of Querétaro Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with this school? I have an interview coming up and am curious if anyone has some insight. Thanks!
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: International School of Querétaro Reply with quote

mmarc wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with this school? I have an interview coming up and am curious if anyone has some insight. Thanks!

I am having a difficult time locating a school of that name, and I thought that I had notes on just about every language academy, international K-12 school, and university in the Queretaro area. Can you give any more information?
mmarc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. maybe it goes by another name? This is the website:

http://isq.edu.mx/?lang=en
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmarc wrote:
Hmm.. maybe it goes by another name? This is the website:

http://isq.edu.mx/?lang=en

That is interesting. I somehow missed this school in my research.

Has your interview happened? Did it go well?
mmarc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up canceling the interview because I accepted a job elsewhere. They seemed very nice though and told me to get in touch if I move to Querétaro in the future, so maybe I'll have a better answer in the next few years. If you do find anything out in the meantime, please share.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmarc wrote:
I ended up canceling the interview because I accepted a job elsewhere. They seemed very nice though and told me to get in touch if I move to Querétaro in the future, so maybe I'll have a better answer in the next few years. If you do find anything out in the meantime, please share.

Will do. Queretaro is a great town. I am very happy here.
mmarc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you do for work there? Do you mind elaborating on what you like (or dislike) about the city? My husband and I are trying to decide between applying for his green card or making a go of things in Querétaro, and it would be so very convenient if we could just skip the whole green card option.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Queretaro last December, after a three-year stay in Culiacan, and a much shorter one in Mexico City. I like this the best of any Mexican City that I have been in. Puerto Vallarta is equally nice, but there are not as many work opportunities there.

Queretaro is clean, safe, beautiful, business-friendly, thriving economically, cosmopolitan, cultural, and historic. Although the very successful industrial parks where I do some of my teaching sprawl out in most directions from the city, the center is compact. I don't need a car because I live on the edge of the Centro Historico, within walking distance of most of what matters here. When I need to go elsewhere, I use the excellent bus system.

This is not only the nicest of the Mexican cities I have lived in, but also, amazingly given what it has to offer, the cheapest.

My apartment in Mexico City cost me 7,300 pesos per month, and the cost of utilities was high. The apartment was in Cuajimalpa, convenient for my job but severely inconvenient to the rest of the city, not on the Metro.

My apartment in Culiacan cost me 6,000 pesos per month at first; I later negotiated the landlord down to 5,500 pesos.

Here in Queretaro, I have a furnished, pet-friendly one-bedroom apartment in the heart of town (yet somehow quiet!), right near the bus lines and the city's most historic park, the Alameda Hidalgo, for 3,600 pesos per month. Be still my beating heart. At today's exchange rate, that's only $240 USD per month. Utility costs are much lower than in the D.F. Really, everything here costs less than Mexico City, and even than Culiacan.

I'm teaching full-time at a language school, and supplementing that income with a couple of private students, as well as a growing amount of freelance writing, editing, and proofreading. My goal is to concentrate my earnings in the latter category and eventually only teach a few hours per week, and I'm making good progress in that direction.
Jultime

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in Queretaro working for a business language school.

I really like this city for all of the reasons stated above. I can see myself staying long term.

Many of the teachers and staff at the school where I work have been here for many years and have bought houses.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmarc wrote:
. . . and it would be so very convenient if we could just skip the whole green card option.

Ain't that the truth! Been there, done that. Though, it is ultimately worth it if you find you really need to return to the States. If you've been married for awhile or, at least, lived in Mexico for several years before getting married, it should be a little bit easier, particularly if you're in no rush to return to the States immediately.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
mmarc wrote:
. . . and it would be so very convenient if we could just skip the whole green card option.

Ain't that the truth! Been there, done that. Though, it is ultimately worth it if you find you really need to return to the States. If you've been married for awhile or, at least, lived in Mexico for several years before getting married, it should be a little bit easier, particularly if you're in no rush to return to the States immediately.

My understanding is that once you have a green card you actually have to live in the US, you can´t just get it and move back to Mexico. Either that, or you have to stay in the US a certain amount of time before you can leave and still keep the green card. And I think it is easier to get a green card if you have been married for a longer time, and not applying right away after getting married.
mmarc

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your insights!

Esl_prof, it is worth it to do the green card if I have to go back to the U.S., but of course I don't have to, and I don't really even want to right now. Instead I'm trying to figure out if I'll wish I had 10 or 20 years from now. I've read a lot of threads on this forum, but unfortunately I don't think that question's been covered.

BBB, you're right that you can't move back and forth with the green card (at least as far as I know). That wouldn't be my intention, though. We haven't been married long so maybe it's better to wait, but for now I'm leaning towards Mexico.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
My understanding is that once you have a green card you actually have to live in the US, you can´t just get it and move back to Mexico.

That's correct. We waited until my wife got her citizenship before returning to the Caribbean. Ironically, she applied for a U.S. passport the same day that her citizenship came through.

BadBeagleBad wrote:
And I think it is easier to get a green card if you have been married for a longer time, and not applying right away after getting married.

Again, correct. We began the application process shortly after our wedding and my wife got a two-year conditional residency card, meaning we had to go back to immigration two years later with proof that we were still married before they'd grant permanent residency.

This was all pre-9/11 before regulations were tightened up, processing slowed down, and the application queue backed up. I imagine things are slower and more complicated now.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:

Again, correct. We began the application process shortly after our wedding and my wife got a two-year conditional residency card, meaning we had to go back to immigration two years later with proof that we were still married before they'd grant permanent residency.

This was all pre-9/11 before regulations were tightened up, processing slowed down, and the application queue backed up. I imagine things are slower and more complicated now.

When my (now-ex) husband became eligible for his green card in 2005, the law was that if they didn't give you the interview within the two years, they automatically sent the green card, which they did for him since there was a backlog. So a back-up in processing was a good thing -- saved the hassle of an interview. I'm pretty sure the law hasn't changed.
If you've already been married for two years there is no two-year wait. But even having a green card is meant for actual residence and they can officially strip him of residence, especially if he's gone from US more than a year without permission.
If you've already been married two years and he gets a green card, he can apply for citizenship after three years in the US. Then he's free to come and go like any other citizen (but also has to pay taxes on worldwide income -- minus exclusions -- just like any other citizen). I wouldn't go to the US just for the green card unless it's to be able to travel somewhere else or will help him some other way. He may as well wait until/if you want to go anyway, and go straight for the citizenship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: