Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sick leave at colegios/international schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Sick leave at colegios/international schools Reply with quote

Hi all,

Making the move to Mexico in August. I've been dealing with the inhumane sick day policies in the Middle East recently, so thought I'd bring this up. How is sick leave generally handle in bilingual colegios, or in general in Mexico? Do you have to bring a doctor's note for one day out, or does it vary?
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ever worked in a colegio, but in general it varies and would depend on the type of contract you get. If you are registered in the IMSS health system, if you are sick for mor than a day IMSS will pay you those days but of course you must see their doctors for that. My employer will take into account time I miss for both my own and my kids appointments outside of IMSS if I bring proof.
If you are working for honorarios, that's the equivalent of freelance and you're out of luck if you get sick. Some colegios do pay their teachers that way.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I haven't ever worked in a colegio, but in general it varies and would depend on the type of contract you get. If you are registered in the IMSS health system, if you are sick for mor than a day IMSS will pay you those days but of course you must see their doctors for that. My employer will take into account time I miss for both my own and my kids appointments outside of IMSS if I bring proof.
If you are working for honorarios, that's the equivalent of freelance and you're out of luck if you get sick. Some colegios do pay their teachers that way.

Thanks, MotherF. I'll be on a monthly salary, sponsored by the school, but we haven't explicitly covered health insurance. I'll have to ask that. Waiting on the school's permission to hire foreigners to get renewed.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:
MotherF wrote:

Thanks, MotherF. I'll be on a monthly salary, sponsored by the school, but we haven't explicitly covered health insurance. I'll have to ask that. Waiting on the school's permission to hire foreigners to get renewed.

If you are working full time and legally, it is required by law as are many other benefits. Having said that, the quality of care can vary greatly, as can wait times, depending on where you live, and what clinic you are assigned two. When I lived in DF I had one that was great, in an area where people just didn´t use it, and in another area it was OK, you did wait, sometimes a while, yes, even with an appointment. Where I live now it is awesome, again very underutilized and I rarely wait more than 15 minutes, get my prescriptions right there in the clinic, and they even give me vitamins and remind me when it´s time for a mammogram or a Pap smear (gee, thanks). A couple of weeks ago they even set up a mini clinic for dogs and cats and were giving free rabies shots and sterilizations. Though that was for anyone, not just IMSS people.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
bdbarnett1 wrote:
MotherF wrote:

If you are working full time and legally, it is required by law as are many other benefits. Having said that, the quality of care can vary greatly, as can wait times, depending on where you live, and what clinic you are assigned two. When I lived in DF I had one that was great, in an area where people just didn´t use it, and in another area it was OK, you did wait, sometimes a while, yes, even with an appointment. Where I live now it is awesome, again very underutilized and I rarely wait more than 15 minutes, get my prescriptions right there in the clinic, and they even give me vitamins and remind me when it´s time for a mammogram or a Pap smear (gee, thanks). A couple of weeks ago they even set up a mini clinic for dogs and cats and were giving free rabies shots and sterilizations. Though that was for anyone, not just IMSS people.

Hopefully, I'll get lucky then Smile

Sounds like the first day is up to the employer then.

I wouldn't normally worry about this, but my current employer is so arcane about these things that I felt like following up. Also bored at the moment Smile
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is always good to know ahead of time, but if it is a reputable employer and you are working full time, on the books, perhaps they just assume you know what the benefits are that are required by law and that is why it hasn´t come up. You do have to register for IMSS before you can use it, but it is not a complicated process, just time consuming. If you are in DF, the IMSS office near the Alameda Central is a beautiful colonial building with an open central patio, so at least if you are waiting it is a pleasant place to sit. Well, if you can get a chair, that is.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Yeah, it is always good to know ahead of time, but if it is a reputable employer and you are working full time, on the books, perhaps they just assume you know what the benefits are that are required by law and that is why it hasn´t come up. You do have to register for IMSS before you can use it, but it is not a complicated process, just time consuming. If you are in DF, the IMSS office near the Alameda Central is a beautiful colonial building with an open central patio, so at least if you are waiting it is a pleasant place to sit. Well, if you can get a chair, that is.

The principal of the school comes highly recommended from a former colleague of mine in the States, so I think it's all on the up and up. Thanks for your input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: