Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving in a month!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinesenoodles

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned the offer down! Thanks for the reality check. I thought it was a bit odd. I've got a place through airbnb that's in the same neighborhood as IH and when I figure out the job situation I'll look for an apartment.
As far as getting all of the documents in order for a visa...if a school says they will help with this, is it necessary to start the process myself by getting official copies of everything?
On another note, I know this forum is for esl, but does anyone have any information on the Churchill School or Eton? I'm looking to teach primary, but I don't want to be stuck at a school that's run anything like the district I'm in now (apparently Houston thinks giving children over 30 district benchmarks during the school year leaves room for adequate teaching). does anyone know anything about administration or curriculum? I've tried looking at ISR, but there's no up to date info.
Thanks again for the eye-opener!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinesenoodles wrote:
I turned the offer down! Thanks for the reality check. I thought it was a bit odd. I've got a place through airbnb that's in the same neighborhood as IH and when I figure out the job situation I'll look for an apartment.
As far as getting all of the documents in order for a visa...if a school says they will help with this, is it necessary to start the process myself by getting official copies of everything?
On another note, I know this forum is for esl, but does anyone have any information on the Churchill School or Eton? I'm looking to teach primary, but I don't want to be stuck at a school that's run anything like the district I'm in now (apparently Houston thinks giving children over 30 district benchmarks during the school year leaves room for adequate teaching). does anyone know anything about administration or curriculum? I've tried looking at ISR, but there's no up to date info.
Thanks again for the eye-opener!

Good news! What Colonia will you be in? If you don't mind saying, how much will you be paying for rent?
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that first apartment's roommates weren't looking for someone to subsidize their expenses.

As for Eton and Churchill, I've not heard the horror sstories you often hear about colegios with either of those two names attached, so that's a very good sign.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eton and Churchill are pretty good schools. Like all private schools, they have their share of brats but admin is in very good shape.

Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with teachers from both schools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chinesenoodles

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be my first time aiming for a job at an international (or international-like) school and I'm pretty nervous as far as reception goes. I keep reading about how schools only want a white face to represent their schools but I'm afraid I was blessed with the skin tone that tanning salons were conceived for. My mother is Cuban and my father is African American. Will this somehow effect my ability to find a job in Mexico City?
Is this a ridiculous question? Living in Houston, this would definitely be a ridiculous question because this city is currently the most diverse in the USA. But in a homogenous country like Mexico, I feel like it could possibly be a deal-breaker. I honestly don't know though! I've been to Mexico City before and absolutely loved it! The only issue I had was while walking around a market with my Caucasian male friend some rent-a-cop older gentleman mumbled, "blanco y negra!" as he walked by looking all offended.

Please be honest!
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving in a month! Reply with quote

Chinesenoodles wrote:
Hello!

Do I need to go ahead and have my degree apostilled? If it's from out of state can I mail it? Who do I contact!?

Your school website should have information about getting your diploma and/or transcripts apostilled. My school's registrar helps with process and I can send them the request along with a letter to Secretary of State, SOS's fee, and SASE for return to me. If I want diploma apostilled, I need to mail them the diploma, and if I want transcripts I send school my usual transcript request. A google search of "school name diploma authentication" or "school name registrar authentication" should get you to the right place. If not, call or write your school's registrar's office.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fair amount of bias in hiring as you've noted. I've been working in teacher recruitment for some time now for schools of all shapes and sizes nationwide and definitely experience it.

Two things I've experienced on this.

1. Qualifications and experience trump race, particularly in harder to fill positions (ICT, science, math).

2. The higher profile the school, the less a problem race is.

I assume you are an English teacher? Sorry if you wrote your bio elsewhere and I didn't see it...the problem for you will be that there isn't a shortage of well-qualified English teachers at the very top schools. That's not to say that race will be your limiting factor, but rather that you'd simply be swimming in a crowded pool.

Quote:
does anyone know anything about administration or curriculum? I've tried looking at ISR, but there's no up to date info.

Missed this earlier...

Both are IB schools. To modify my statements above, if you have any PYP, MYP, or DP on your CV, that will go a long way towards getting a job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: