Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in UAE vs. Saudi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titanicman

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Teaching in UAE vs. Saudi Reply with quote

What's the difference between teaching in the UAE and SA?
Are salaries generally higher in universities in the UAE? I thought that many (if not most) expat English teachers wanted to live in the UAE because of the more relaxed and tolerant atmosphere. This, I thought, would contribute to SA universities having to offer higher salaries to lure potential English teachers to the Kingdom.
Am I wrong on this?

I'm thinking about teaching in either country. I'm weighing the benefits of both.

Thanks. Titanicman
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: uae v ksa Reply with quote

In deciding UAE or KSA there are a number of factors to consider. Women can drive in the UAE but not in the K of SA. Saudi can be good for saving but there is not much social life. Security is increasingly a concern in Saudi Arabia.

At universities in Saudi Arabia you can have a fairly easy time, but the job can be boring. Not much different inthe UAE.

In both places be prepared to entertain yourself.
hmbaba

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: uae vs ksa Reply with quote

Hello,
There are 'good' jobs and 'bad' jobs in both countries - it depends what you want. It depends what your priorities are. What do YOU consider to be a good job? Salaries are NOT necessarily higher in KSA than UAE.
The main difference is the lifestyle - in the UAE life is pretty western - in KSA it is not - altho' the degree of 'westerness' can depend on the company you work for and the accommodation they offer - but forget clubs, bars, discos, cinemas, mixed health clubs, freedom of dress, freedom of speech, etc.
If you want a fairly western lifestyle and a good salary, choose the UAE. As to the good job, bad job scenario - it just depends where you work and what your perceptions are.
Regards,
Heather M. Baba
UAE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: