Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rules at HCT...(and affecting ZU and UAEU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on base salary changes for foundations "instructors"?
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishmumkin wrote:

The amendments are for the month of Aug, new contracts are from Sept 1, yet people still don't know if they'll be renewed. A truly horrible predicament. Faculty have 5 days to accept/reject the new amendment.

Last edited by Shakhbut on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakhbut wrote:
mishmumkin wrote:

Waiting to hear, but that's coming on renewal. The amendments are for the month of Aug, new contracts are from Sept 1, yet people still don't know if they'll be renewed. A truly horrible predicament. Faculty have 5 days to accept/reject the new amendment.

So for those who were not up for renewal, this all starts Sept 1? Can they refuse the new terms and work out 6 months on the old contract (laughable, I know), or would HCT pay them out for the 6 months? Legally, can they force the new terms of the contract on someone who is not up for renewal without a six month heads' up?
Peregrinestranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on the salary package offered to new (2017/2018) foundation teachers?
Londonlover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Perhaps this should be a new thread - More Shavings at HCT. Former colleagues at HCT report that the educational allowance has been cut in half. No surprise there but will be a hardship for ex-pats who have 2 or more children. However, a majority of colleagues in Foundations have left or will be departing this year, hopefully for greener pastures.

PS

Isn't the whole programme going to be defunct within a year anyway as the foundation programmes are closed down in the UAE? Reduced pay and conditions may be a sign of the powers that be winding things down very rapidly and not caring less.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Things are very uncertain everywhere more or less. Those that do know what's going on aren't saying owt. I'm not at HCT but basically look at every salary slip like it's my last these days. Of course not knowing jobswise makes renewing any rental contract fraught with risk. You sign a rent contract, pay the lot or 6 months up front, get sacked, you lose the lot. V unfair.

We're just visitors here. No place to make a long-term plan. In some jobs, you know you can be there for years and years. I don't think there are jobs like that here now.

I've worked in 4 Gulf countries and the management have never felt it their duty to let the people at the coal face know what's going on. Usually, the management decide stuff after some twerp or team of twerps (educational conultants) have been paid fortunes to come up with something that can fix everything but the real problem, which is the elephant in the room. Management then implement said programme, it's a farce and collapses, so more twerps are hired to fix everything except the elephant in the room and the cycle repeats itself. Constant flux and uncertainty.

Things might be changing but with the low oil price and some of the deals I've seen recently (ie 19k a month all in), there's very clearly a race to the bottom re salaries and benefits.

With the new taxes and cost hikes, it's questionnable as to whether it's worth coming here anymore. Certainly not for those with kids and 1 income. Couples with no kids and 1 income it's 50/50. Singlies will be ok even on 19, which ain't great but they'll save less than they expect.

Last edited by dragonpiwo on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

Londonlover wrote:
Isn't the whole programme going to be defunct within a year anyway as the foundation programmes are closed down in the UAE?

That's the plan at HCT, Zayed U, and UAEU effective some time in 2018.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

Quote:
Any word on the salary package offered to new (2017/2018) foundation teachers?

I didn't realize HCT would still be recruiting ex-pats for Foundations, given the program will (supposedly) be defunct in 2018.

Anyone who has been following this lengthy thread can surmise that salaries and benefits will be considerably shaved once again. The biggest deal breaker seems to be the hefty advance rental payments required by many landlords and with the tenuous nature of "contracts," one may end up absorbing those costs, as Dragonpiwo noted.

PS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that HCT postings for English foundation jobs, if there are any, are likely to appeal to qualified resident expats living with a working spouse. Benefits and salary may not be as much an issue compared to interested job seekers outside the UAE. (The crappy work conditions are another story, however.)
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

Dear nomadsoul,

I didn't realize this also included ZU and UAEU. Does this mean no university will offer a Foundations program and will morph into "language centers"?

PS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
I didn't realize this also included ZU and UAEU. Does this mean no university will offer a Foundations program and will morph into "language centers"?

Unless there's some sort of exemption... Based on FNC to debate scrapping of English foundation courses at UAE universities in January 2014, and the subsequent February 2014 news, Foundation year at UAE state universities to be scrapped from 2018, all three state-sponsored universities are impacted.

As for universities transitioning their foundation programs into language centers, that's something VS, through her current UAE contacts, might be able to answer.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Dear nomadsoul,

PS

The most recent gossip I've heard is a re-hash of the aDVETI story, only this time it would be a merger of sorts between ADVETI and HCT. While the MOE attempts to sort out the English language instruction in the high schools, it would make sense to let a 3rd party like ADVETI take over. ZU is definitely not recruiting for their ABP. Very much the opposite.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mishmumkin has made the same assumption as my few remaining sources... ie probably ADVETI or a clone thereof.

HCT, ZU, and UAEU will still need a few EFL teachers for any more advanced courses offered within various majors. But we are talking a mere fraction of the positions that were available in the past.

VS
Peregrinestranger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe all major universities (UAEU, ZAYED and HCT) have posted ESL vacancies on their website for the foundation department.

As this thread is all about new rules at HCT and deteriorating conditions, it would be interesting to find out what the actual 'new' package consists of in terms of base salary, housing allowance, length of contract etc.

PS.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been trying to find out that information for months now... but those that have the answer to that - if the answer even exists yet - ain't talking to us lowly teachers.

It is still best to keep all the information within on thread. Keeps it easier for future applicants. Since I started this thread, I went in and edited the title.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: