Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too low a salary?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RM1983

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:
The Filipino teachers will be all over this job.

This is another middle man recruiting agency that dispatches teachers to junior high schools. Their cut is huge, I assume. 50% - 70%, maybe?

185,000円 a month for a 5 or 6 day work week. WOW! Japan EFL continues to reach new lows.

This is something of a concern. Ive met some obviously very good teachers from the Phillipines, but it wouldnt surprise me if they are being used to cut the wage bills. I hope this isnt the case
Shakey

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM1983 wrote:
Shakey wrote:
The Filipino teachers will be all over this job.

This is another middle man recruiting agency that dispatches teachers to junior high schools. Their cut is huge, I assume. 50% - 70%, maybe?

185,000円 a month for a 5 or 6 day work week. WOW! Japan EFL continues to reach new lows.

This is something of a concern. Ive met some obviously very good teachers from the Phillipines, but it wouldnt surprise me if they are being used to cut the wage bills. I hope this isnt the case

It's happening big time in Japan, already, and has been for the last 7 - 10 years, I think. It's also occurring in South Korea, another majojr TEFL market.

Yeah, great people, highly qualified some of them, too. I have met Filipino TEFL'ers at conferences and workshops and they are even organized and have thier own society. I asked the president of their ALT association how many Filipino EFL teachers were currently teaching and wortking in Japan and I thought she said over 2,000, give or take. I was amazed. I had no idea it was that many.

But it is a concern, or at least something to think about. But the Filipino teachers will be all over a 180,000 Yen a month position. They'll take it. And the owners will probably be happy with them since they won't ask questions, do what they're told, won't complain and probably adapt to Japanese culture better.

Seriously people, the end is nigh for the Japanese TEFL scene, at least as a viable location to earn and save a little. Those who are die hard weebos or from India or the Philippines will eventually be the only ones who come to teach here. The former not caring about how much they earn because 'it is their dream to live in Japan at any cost' and the other because 180,000 Yen is still a significant sum for someone from the Philippines.

Head to China and roll the dice?
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the idea is to save money and repatriate to one's country of origin, is China that much better, when the money is converted?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Tsukuba Reply with quote

I teach out in Tsukuba about 10 weeks a year. It's very rural and about 50 min. from Akihabara via the Tsukuba express train (1,190 yen each way). It's a nice break from Tokyo, but I'd get pretty bored if I had to live out there full-time. Prices are not much cheaper than Tokyo either, though rent may be.

I wouldn't touch that job with a 10-foot pole.
RM1983

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been to Korea, and Japan, you only come away with so much unless you stick with it. If I hadnt left Korea Id be well off now but I wouldnt like to think about the condition of my liver etc. Even then no long term guarantee, China would be a desperate last roll of the dice, for me at least! Not interested.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsukuba and Tsuchiura are lovely places if you're raising a family or intending to really dig in for the long haul in Japan. It wouldn't be that great for a short-term (1-3 year) TEFLer.

I looked at the salary again. You'd get sucked in to teaching much more than the base number of hours just to make a decent salary. This salary is only good if you're not the main breadwinner of a family. When you look at the hours, it's not good for a mum. Who the heck could take the job?! Like many have said, the only job seeker who would look at this seriously would be someone who could see it as a chance at geoarbitrage, i.e. Filipinos.
hdeth

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maitoshi wrote:
If the idea is to save money and repatriate to one's country of origin, is China that much better, when the money is converted?

If you either hustle or have real quals you can save quite a bit in China. I save about $1,800 USD per month usually and am sort of in the middling range at my school. Will be asking for $500 more on the next contract. 12 weeks paid vacation. Private high school.

I might try the hustling angle in a year or two because my Chinese girlfriend was offered a decent amount of money for private tutoring...it's a business we could do together and would bump her salary immensely. But I don't really like running businesses...ties you down to a place and makes vacations more difficult.
rxk22

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot of teaching hours. That is less than 一万yen week's worth of teaching hour per.

As was said, Filipinos are undercutting us, and making it so that the ESL industry is becoming unsustainable. By that I mean having a life here as a middle class person.
rxk22

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokyoLiz wrote:
Tsukuba and Tsuchiura are lovely places if you're raising a family or intending to really dig in for the long haul in Japan. It wouldn't be that great for a short-term (1-3 year) TEFLer.

I looked at the salary again. You'd get sucked in to teaching much more than the base number of hours just to make a decent salary. This salary is only good if you're not the main breadwinner of a family. When you look at the hours, it's not good for a mum. Who the heck could take the job?! Like many have said, the only job seeker who would look at this seriously would be someone who could see it as a chance at geoarbitrage, i.e. Filipinos.

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense for anyone from a 1st world country. For someone from India or the Phil, it wouldn't be terrible. I doubt they could send much home, as 15-18 a month, even just basically eating rice, and living in a box, leaves little to send home
My wife makes decent money, and I have wondered what I would do if I didn't work FT. I could take care of the kids/house and make some money on the side. This job wouldn't allow for me to do much more of the chores, and I wouldn't bring much home. I work almost the same hours, and make double that.

I wouldn't touch this job. Maybe I'd go to an interview and ask them if they are for real about the salary.
bigjoe

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a job at MeySen Academy that another forum user posted in a different thread. It's 180,000 yen + 50,000 yen housing subsidy.

This one: https://boards.greenhouse.io/meysen/jobs/18874#.VUpi3PlViko

Would that be a better deal?
rxk22

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjoe wrote:
There's a job at MeySen Academy that another forum user posted in a different thread. It's 180,000 yen + 50,000 yen housing subsidy.

This one: https://boards.greenhouse.io/meysen/jobs/18874#.VUpi3PlViko

Would that be a better deal?

Better yes. But more like the best looking turd in the toilet bowl, better.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTM It's not about maths. C'mon, you've been in Japan long enough to know that a 40 hour work week is rarely only 40 hours. Here is a quote from their old job listing on Gaijin Pot (the third or fourth commenter posted it)

Quote:
Offer

Y250,000 - Y270,000 monthly depending on qualifications (based on a six day working week (avg 28 teaching hrs/wk))

In theory you could have a lesson from 9:00 - 9:45, 12:15-1300, 15:30-1545, 1730-18:15, 2000-2045 and 2215-2315 plus prep and it would only count as a 6 hour working day.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
RTM It's not about maths. C'mon, you've been in Japan long enough to know that a 40 hour work week is rarely only 40 hours. Here is a quote from their old job listing on Gaijin Pot (the third or fourth commenter posted it)

Quote:
Offer

Y250,000 - Y270,000 monthly depending on qualifications (based on a six day working week (avg 28 teaching hrs/wk))

In theory you could have a lesson from 9:00 - 9:45, 12:15-1300, 15:30-1545, 1730-18:15, 2000-2045 and 2215-2315 plus prep and it would only count as a 6 hour working day.

In this particular case you can't read the advert. The hours/teaching load are clearly stated and they make up a 5 day working week as RTM has tried to explain to you.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR.
Full-time, 35-40 working hours/week, 23-28 (average) teaching/class hours/week, weekdays around 2-10pm, Sat around 10am-8pm. Base of 185,000yen/month plus 2300yen/teaching hour over 80 hours/month (average teaching load 90-100 hours/month) "negotiable." Teach small groups (1-5 people) conversational English. Students range 3 to over 80 years, with 60% junior high school age or younger. Young learners follow a textbook guided curriculum, while adult students choose between conversation-based or textbook-based classes. "Teachers may spend non-class time on personal pursuits." Teaching location Tsukuba City, Ibaraki (teachers are assigned to multiple schools in the greater Tsukuba area). BA/BS, and International/Japanese driver's license required. Will sponsor or renew visa. Accommodation: "furnished company apartments are available for lease, however the school will gladly assist in finding other lodging." Completion bonus, transportation allowance, attendance bonus, 8 weeks of scheduled holiday throughout the year, free weekly Japanese lessons, company car available at small lease fee, to two weeks of initial paid training, and ongoing training. One-year renewable contract. Position begins August, 2015. Apply by fax or e-mail with CV/resume, and availability. Contact Frank Pridgen. Bernard English School. Tsukuba City, Ibaraki, Japan. Fax 029-856-2341.
mailto:[email protected]

I can't see it. Where does it say 5 working days?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
Quote:
ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR.
Full-time, 35-40 working hours/week, 23-28 (average) teaching/class hours/week, weekdays around 2-10pm, Sat around 10am-8pm. Base of 185,000yen/month plus 2300yen/teaching hour over 80 hours/month (average teaching load 90-100 hours/month) "negotiable." Teach small groups (1-5 people) conversational English. Students range 3 to over 80 years, with 60% junior high school age or younger. Young learners follow a textbook guided curriculum, while adult students choose between conversation-based or textbook-based classes. "Teachers may spend non-class time on personal pursuits." Teaching location Tsukuba City, Ibaraki (teachers are assigned to multiple schools in the greater Tsukuba area). BA/BS, and International/Japanese driver's license required. Will sponsor or renew visa. Accommodation: "furnished company apartments are available for lease, however the school will gladly assist in finding other lodging." Completion bonus, transportation allowance, attendance bonus, 8 weeks of scheduled holiday throughout the year, free weekly Japanese lessons, company car available at small lease fee, to two weeks of initial paid training, and ongoing training. One-year renewable contract. Position begins August, 2015. Apply by fax or e-mail with CV/resume, and availability. Contact Frank Pridgen. Bernard English School. Tsukuba City, Ibaraki, Japan. Fax 029-856-2341.
mailto:[email protected]

I can't see it. Where does it say 5 working days?

Okay, my last post on this...

We are educators and teachers, we are supposed to be professionals and also to be able to learn from our mistakes. You are creating some c*ck and bull story about split shifts and working extra hours to cover your ignorance with this..

It states quite clearly that it is a 35-40 working week. The weekly hours are around 2-10pm which makes 8 hours for the day. On the Saturday it states around 10am-8pm. The advert uses the word 'around' to show how you could work 7 hours one day and then 9 hours another so there is some flexibility there. However, you can see very easily that this is a 5 day working week because you only have 40 working hours a week and the shifts are around 8 hours per day.

If you were working 6 days a week then you would be doing around 48 hours a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: