Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Immigrants to pass more difficult Czech language exam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigma

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Immigrants to pass more difficult Czech language exam Reply with quote

The new rules should start in 2016.

- You will now have to know roughly 2000 words instead of 900, so the language test will become more difficult.
- Plus, all applicants will be required to take an 8-hour course to learn about Czech culture, way of life, and politics.

http://praguemonitor.com/2015/04/30/immigrants-pass-more-difficult-czech-language-exam
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound too awful...
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you have to live there before you qualify for permanent residency? I suspect that's plenty of time to learn a mere 2000 new words.

Just out of curiosity, is this a written test or oral test? Or a combination of both?
Sigma

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first part of the test is writing and listening. If you pass, you'll get the chance to do the speaking test. It wasn't too difficult, but there are some 'traps' which are designed to really test your comprehension.

To qualify for permanent residency (non-eu) you must live in the Czech Republic for 5-years without any interruptions.

Yes, I think after 5-years many people won't have a problem with the test, but I wonder how much they might understand from the cultural course? I assume it will be done in Czech, which means that it will probably be more difficult than the actual test. With that being said, it is my understanding that you just have to take the course.

I know of people who have already failed the current language test, and I assume many more people are going to fail now. If you surround yourself with non-Czechs, and if you don't study, the test will be difficult.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma wrote:
. . . but I wonder how much they might understand from the cultural course? I assume it will be done in Czech, which means that it will probably be more difficult than the actual test. With that being said, it is my understanding that you just have to take the course.

It sounds like you're not given a test at the end of the course, correct? In other words, just showing up is sufficient to pass.

Sigma wrote:
I know of people who have already failed the current language test, and I assume many more people are going to fail now. If you surround yourself with non-Czechs, and if you don't study, the test will be difficult.

Precisely. But then again, isn't the point to weed out those who don't want to or refuse to assimilate?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think it's fair.

Question about the five years uninterrupted residence, though, as I think there are different clauses for those with Czech spouses.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EU rules are pretty much standardised these days when it comes to permanent residency, so it should be broadly similar to Poland - those married to a Czech citizen (or perhaps even an EU citizen...) should be exempt from any tests.
Sigma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Prague, June 3 (CTK) - The Czech Republic plans to toughen its law on foreigners' stay so that it prefers the immigration of the foreigners who can benefit the Czech economy, daily Hospodarske noviny (HN) writes Wednesday, citing the Interior Ministry's spokeswoman."

"The new bill will enable the granting of visas to selected groups of applicants without the condition of their investment in the Czech Republic. This will apply, for example, to students completing their studies at a Czech university or qualified workers from selected countries the government would define within its special programme, the daily writes."

http://praguemonitor.com/2015/06/04/hn-%C4%8Dr-prefer-accepting-foreigners-who-benefit-economy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: