Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Police Check for Z Visa: Some Confusions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiFeng

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Police Check for Z Visa: Some Confusions Reply with quote

I am starting looking for jobs in China at the moment, and based on what I've seen I will probably want to have documentation of no criminal record in-hand (I know that not all cities require it, but I haven't decided on a destination and I don't want my options limited to places that don't require a police check).

The instructions here mention specific requirements for different cities being different, and that an "authenticated FBI background check" (required from Americans by some places) takes three time-consuming steps to get. I have never needed a background check for my previous jobs in China, so this is all new to me.

Am I too late in the game for this? What places actually require an FBI background check with authentication from both the State Department and Chinese consulate for U.S. citizens? Is there any "official" information source on this? I found several previous threads on this general topic, but still no information on exactly which places require what, nor any official confirmation that I really need the FBI check with multiple authentications. Any information would be much appreciated.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try:

lawandborder.com
china-briefing.com
travelchinaguide.com (the moderator for visa questions seems rather on top of it)

You will definitely find posts on here where people whined about having to go through all the hoops you are asking about.
hdeth

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an FBI check required and I work in Beijing which is pretty strict. I'd just get a state check....find a state patrol office or maybe the sheriff could do one.
zacharybilton

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBI
State Police
Local Police

Are all different authorities.

You get what you are required to get.
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FBI
State Police
Local Police

Are all different authorities.

Dave's is very fortunate to have an expert of the obvious.
hdeth

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, forgot. Beijing requires something with a stamp. Stamps are important.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not worry too much until you are actually applying and they ask. It is nice someone knows the difference: federal, state or local, would be nice if our all inclusive friend could fill us in, which places in China require which level of background?
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdeth wrote:
I've never had an FBI check required and I work in Beijing which is pretty strict. I'd just get a state check....find a state patrol office or maybe the sheriff could do one.

So since your personal past experiences are what others should base their future actions on, I am sure you are willing to back it up by paying his expenses and lost employment time in the event he does need an FBI background check, which more and more locales require?
hdeth

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
hdeth wrote:

So since your personal past experiences are what others should base their future actions on, I am sure you are willing to back it up by paying his expenses and lost employment time in the event he does need an FBI background check, which more and more locales require?

Where in China requires an FBI check? Beijing is one of the, if not the, strictest and they don't require an FBI check as of a few months ago.

He's free to seek other advice, for example, if there was someone from Shenzhen who said they were required to do an FBI check.

You send in the document to your employer, they check if it's OK, done. It's not that complicated. Shandong didn't even require a notarized copy, or my school used some guanxi. You shouldn't delay looking for jobs because you're waiting for an FBI check....they take months.
LeiFeng

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would not worry too much until you are actually applying and they ask. It is nice someone knows the difference: federal, state or local, would be nice if our all inclusive friend could fill us in, which places in China require which level of background?

Wangdaning, that was what I was thinking at first, that I would just wait and follow employer instructions, but I see people saying it can take four months (the writer of the blog post on this I mentioned in my original post said he waited fifteen weeks). So I've just sent off my application for the FBI check, and I'm crossing my fingers they will get on it sooner rather than later.

Jimpellow, thanks for the links, though these seem to confirm mostly what I already saw, that Beijing just requires a local check, Qingdao and a few other places require a federal check. It all seems rumor-based, I can't find any official source laying out what meets the requirements (what agencies, what kinds of authentication), or which areas need what. If I go to local Bureau of Foreign Experts' Affairs websites, they usually just list the same SAFEA requirements that apply to the whole country.

I'll let everyone know if I do find a source of info on this. For now, does anyone know about requirements for Kunming/Yunnan specifically? I am applying for jobs all over, but Yunnan would be my first choice.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in this case the reason for the "rumors" is that when a law is passed in China, not all of it is made public record. It seems that the unwritten parts seep outwards from Beijing with time from party official to party official leading to confusion and different interpretations. If Beijing really feels strongly about something, then it lets it be known what it wants and everybody else follows real quick. An example would be the change in drunk driving laws that occurred overnight about 8 years back.

I think the trend is still towards more areas requiring the FBI check in the foreseeable future. Hence, if you are willing to put forth the time and expense to get the FBI check, you leave yourself with more options.

I think generally the best way to know about a specific area is to google it with a recent time frame. If you find posts with American teachers bitching about it, then you know.

Having just said the above about more areas, Beijing may have already changed their tune on the necessity of a check, at least national. Why would I say this? Because Beijing is not apparently requiring one, nor are they requiring a pre-med check. This may be due to the backlash against the new stricter visa regulations.

So it creates an odd reality. Some of the second and third tier cities are starting to implement stronger requirements because of what was passed in Beijing a couple years back, yet schools in Beijing being at the epicenter of this are already following the new somewhat less onerous requirements.

This recent thread on Kunming and what type of check they will accept - FBI only!;

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=109893&start=0
Trebek

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other provinces are doing this as well, add lionaing and Jaingsu to the list, and many other provinces are requesting this as well, I think its a nationwide thing. I heard that the State check will work in some provinces, Zhejiang for one. But if you live in the same state you got the offence in, it does you no good. Make sure your State check is "Apostilled", call the office of the secretary of state and they will guide you with this.
LeiFeng

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jimpellow, I'd missed that thread on Kunming. All the more reason to hope that they don't take three months with my background check. I have also had several employers in Zhengzhou (henan) tell me they need it there as well.

Trebek, I read that China does not accept Apostilles (because they were not a signatory to some international convention) and that authentication of the FBI check has to come from the department of state, and then there has to be a second authentication done by the Chinese consulate in the U.S. However, on the form for requesting this (DS-4194), there is no place for selecting whether it is an apostille or non-apostille authentication that you need. I guess I'll figure this out when the time comes.

As an aside, is it heard of for employers in places requiring FBI check, if they are hiring for several months in the future, to wait on a background check for a candidate? Or will they expect me to have it in-hand? If I send them a scan of my fingerprint card and application form, are they likely to take that as evidence that I will have the background check in time to start work? (I'm guessing no…). I'd really like to be done with my job search by July.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Or will they expect me to have it in-hand? If I send them a scan of my fingerprint card and application form, are they likely to take that as evidence that I will have the background check in time to start work? (I'm guessing no…). I'd really like to be done with my job search by July."

They are bureaucrats so I really think you have to have it in hand. Very fearful types who have nothing to gain by being proactive, and everything to lose. Take our recent friend who cannot get a job due to a 1982 public intoxication charge on his FBI check. What if they had let that wild man through and 35 years later he got tanked on bai jiu and ran around the streets with a "Free Tibet" sign? You know whose butt it would be. So you can imagine what they would think about letting some potential gui lao serial murder in because they did not wait for the actual check. But hopefully I am wrong...
LeiFeng

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update here - as I've been communicating with employers and recruiters in various places, and scouring the internet for whatever I can find about different places' requirements, I am starting to get more of a picture. I'll put down what is clear so far here, and others can add anything I'm leaving out.

Requires CBC, will accept local check: Beijing

Requires CBC, has to have national check (FBI check): Qingdao, Hangzhou, Yunnan Province, Jiangsu Province, Sichuan Province, Chongqing, Shenzhen and Guangzhou (all of Guangdong??), Changsha (all of Hunan??), Zhengzhou (all of Henan??), Wuhan, Liaoning Province, Tianjin.

Claim not to require any CBC: Shanghai, Heilongjiang, Jilin, Inner Mongolia, Guizhou, Gansu, Xi'an/Shaanxi.

As for other places, I still have no idea. I'm basing this off of correspondence I've had during my job search, so take it with a grain of salt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: