Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA Galapagos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandraR

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: CELTA Galapagos Reply with quote

Hi,
I am in the midst of a midlife career change and I am planning to become CELTA certified in the next few months. I would like to live and work in Latin America if possible. Being from Canada, I cannot stand to even think about living through another freezing cold winter up here ! Wink
I have been reading intensively all of the info available here on Dave's ESL Cafe and I am pretty sure that I know what I am getting myself into and what I need to do to prepare.
I have been in contact with the very nice coordinator at CELTA Galapagos and he has answered most of my questions regarding the 8 week program being offered at this present time (4 weeks CELTA training and 4 weeks volunteering with paid accommodation). I am on the verge of registering and want to make sure that I am making the right decision.
Being that it is a fairly new CELTA certification provider, I am having a difficult time finding any information on the centre (outside of their facebook page and website). I would like to hear from previous students about their experience at the centre and what it's like living in the islands.
I have always harbored the dream of going to the Galapagos Islands and I think that this is an amazing opportunity for me.
Has anyone reading this right now taken the CELTA in the Galapagos, or has anyone you know taken it ? Would you be willing to graciously let me know how your overall experience was ?

Thanks ! Smile
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a new centre, and as far as I know the first course they are running is in June. I know one of the trainers, and I think she is running that course, she is excellent and very experienced. Other than that, I don't think you will find anyone who has experience of it. Personally, I would jump at the course if I was looking for a CELTA, I think it sounds fantastic. If you do decide to do it, please let us know how you get on.
SandraR

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you !
That resolves most of my questions as to why I couldn't find any info on former students.
I guess I will be on the list of "first students'. Very Happy
Yes, of course I will let you know how it goes, because I know how important it is to have references when thinking about making such a big decision.
I'm really looking forward to this !
Very Happy
Jultime

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited for you going to the Galapagos! The islands are on my bucket list to visit.

I would do the CELTA there in a heartbeat!

Remember, the trainers have to be Cambridge certified so even if the center sucks you're still going to get the same CELTA training as anyone at another CELTA center.

Trust me, the IH Mexico center sucks.
SandraR

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jultime,
I am very excited about this. It is such an amazing opportunity, I cannot let it pass by. It's perfect for me ! I'm sure that when word gets out about this centre, they will be filling up the places quickly.
I know that I will get the necessary training, and that is what counts. After that, it's up to me to put my newly acquired knowledge into practice and pave my own way in the ESL world.
Hope all is well with you in Mexico ?
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been keeping an eye on this program for over a year, and they've always had upcoming dates on their website, so it's a bit strange if the first sessions are this summer.

How did you contact the "very nice" director -- by the email on their site? I sent them an email a week ago asking how long they've been offering the program and a couple of other questions I had, and they haven't responded. How long did it take them to respond? Which months are you doing the course/volunteering? I hope you definitely do report back. Thanks.
c_destru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderingxelmundo wrote:
I've been keeping an eye on this program for over a year, and they've always had upcoming dates on their website, so it's a bit strange if the first sessions are this summer.

How did you contact the "very nice" director -- by the email on their site? I sent them an email a week ago asking how long they've been offering the program and a couple of other questions I had, and they haven't responded. How long did it take them to respond? Which months are you doing the course/volunteering? I hope you definitely do report back. Thanks.

when I emailed them, I got an email within 3 days with all my answers fully answered. Maybe try again?
SandraR

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a message on the facebook page about a month ago and got a reply within a day. He answered all of my questions regarding the program, the islands, and the accommodations. He even sent me photos of the accommodations. Smile

I wrote last week with another question and have yet to receive a reply. Maybe a different person has been manning the facebook page recently.

I will be sending in my application within a week through their website. I am aiming for the September course, October volunteering.

I will keep you posted. Smile
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I hadn't seen that they've changed the course dates, and September is better for me as well, if I do decide to do this course. You wouldn't happen to know if there are cooking facilities where we'd be staying for 2 months? (one of my questions I sent them) while I wait to hear back from them? It doesn't look like it from what I could see on Trip Advisor.

Have fun!
SandraR

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderingxelmundo wrote:
Thanks! I hadn't seen that they've changed the course dates, and September is better for me as well, if I do decide to do this course. You wouldn't happen to know if there are cooking facilities where we'd be staying for 2 months? (one of my questions I sent them) while I wait to hear back from them? It doesn't look like it from what I could see on Trip Advisor.

Have fun!

This is the response I got to my questions about the accommodation.

"Regarding the accommodation options:
The budget option that we are offering ($300 per person monthly). The building is in downtown (i.e. easier access to restaurants etc.) and the rooms are clean and comfortable with private bathrooms. With a sharing kitchen."

Where did you find information about them on Trip Advisor ????
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On their website they have info on 3 accommodation options: 1) hotel and breakfast $1028 for 30 nights at Galapagos Inn; 2) economical accommodation "includes private room in shared accommodation with kitchen facilities" which is $300 per month; 3) for the two-month volunteering special, $1980 total for course and 8 weeks accommodation in Hospedaje Carliza, and there's a Trip Advisor link.

Celta Galapagos page: http://www.celtagalapagos.com/celta-galapagos-course/prices-and-dates/

Trip Advisor link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297533-d3165469-Reviews-Hospedaje_Carliza-Puerto_Ayora_Santa_Cruz_Galapagos_Islands.html
SandraR

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that they updated their website. There is a lot more info then a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately, the reviews on Trip Advisor about the accommodations are a little disconcerting. Sad
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you seem to have more up-to-date info since the dates were changed on the website very recently. But if they mentioned $300 to you, and that's not the course + volunteer option. They say that's only in the summer, but they seem to have canceled their June and July classes -- I don't know if the September course will count as summer or not.

I'll try contacting them again and report back.

I never know who to believe on Trip Advisor, in this case:: "clean!" or "urine!" Could be true, could be owners or competition. I'll see if I can find anything on Travelocity etc. by "verified" travelers.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
I heard back from Raul Garcia, and the housing for the two-month package is in the budget accommodations and not in the hospedaje. And he says "we are a new centre," which I think (but I'm not 100% sure) means they've had quite a few dates cancelled, which is my only worry. I and asked about Internet because I'm studying on-line:

"I attached some photos of the accommodation and answered some general questions.

You can check your e- mails and Face Book even upload photos, but overall unfortunately internet is slow on the islands , internet is available in the room and Wi- Fi in many restaurants in Santa Cruz , another alternative is to buy a chip for your tablet for only USD7 - 5GB and pre pay as you go.

Course prices:

The Original price was $2350 but now this summer we can offer:

4 week course only - $1700 plus the accommodation option of your choice.

(Hotel USD 900, private room with private bathroom USD300)

Volunteering package option: Still ON for Autumn

Course plus volunteering option - $1980= for 2 months of accommodation in the (USD 300 private room with bathroom)+ one month of volunteering position +the 4 week CELTA certification with Cambridge fees and materials and no hidden costs.

Regarding the accommodation options:

The budget option that we are offering ($300 per person monthly). The building is in downtown (i.e. easier access to restaurants etc.) and the rooms are clean and comfortable with private bathrooms. With a sharing kitchen."
Lotteloes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: CELTA Galapagos Reply with quote

I am also thinking of doing a CELTA but I don't know yet when. I have been thinking about the Galapagos, combined with the volunteering but I am not sure yet.
The prices seem reasonable but expecting to go to visit my friends and family before I embark on a new adventure, the price of a ticket is unbelievable high. Although I do believe it will be a great experience and an unique chance to visit the island, I don't think it will be for me. But I am interested in any reviews. Especially in combination with the volunteering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: