Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Cake Taken
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
water rat

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: The Cake Taken Reply with quote

This appeared on SeriousTeachers.com today.
Quote:
The School of Foreign Studies offers the following:
- A competitive monthly wage (starting at 5500RMB for BA, 6500RMB for Masters, and 7500RMB for PhDs) based on degree and experience
In Beijing? Seriously? Confused
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beijing is kind of over foreigner teachers. Maybe do better in 2nd and 3rd tier cities. The position I held here for almost 10 years had a paycheck of 18 to 22K rmb (actually paid in pounds but equal to varied by exchange rate) ... Currently, the school refused to accept the British university's authority to hire the instructors and wanted to hire them through their International Department. Current salary has shrank to 1/2 what it was a little over a year ago. The golden day of the foreigner may be over.
hdeth

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some drunk old guy who likes to look at college girls might just take it...

My school (Beijing "international" school) suckers in people at the lowest salary they can get them to agree to. Almost all the first year teachers have lower salaries than they should (myself included, though not as bad as some). Then you renegotiate if they like you and do a 2-year contract. I think one guy recently signed a fairly lucrative 5-year contract. He must be at ~40k/month or maybe even more.

I sometimes wonder about the teachers who accepted 9-10k/month with shared housing....I mean...the advertisement that I applied for listed the salary as at least 13-15k. Must have got hired through a recruiter or something.
zacharybilton

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White folks have been pampered here far too long. I have been in China just past 11 years. Sure, when I came here in Eastern China, salaries were 3000-5000 and still remain so. Beijing's cost of living is hardly as high as you will all want to claim; the assumption being that you don't try to live it up and maintain an American or western lifestyle. Beijingers, the commoners manage to live on salaries that don't go into the 10's. Why should a white guy with no formal teaching education, certification, on the run, or whatever get cash for being white?

Housing and transportation are adequate enough to live comfortably and travel to work. If you don't want to travel, don't live in Beijing.

Keep in mind that you have no formal right to live and work in China or Beijing. It's a choice, by permission.

There is no reason for the disparity for a four-fold or more difference in salary compared to other provinces compared to Beijing, none.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zacharybilton wrote:
Why should a white guy ... get cash for being white?

Why shouldn't we? Very Happy
Shanghai Noon

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zacharybilton wrote:
White folks have been pampered here far too long. I have been in China just past 11 years. Sure, when I came here in Eastern China, salaries were 3000-5000 and still remain so. Beijing's cost of living is hardly as high as you will all want to claim; the assumption being that you don't try to live it up and maintain an American or western lifestyle. Beijingers, the commoners manage to live on salaries that don't go into the 10's. Why should a white guy with no formal teaching education, certification, on the run, or whatever get cash for being white?

Housing and transportation are adequate enough to live comfortably and travel to work. If you don't want to travel, don't live in Beijing.

Keep in mind that you have no formal right to live and work in China or Beijing. It's a choice, by permission.

There is no reason for the disparity for a four-fold or more difference in salary compared to other provinces compared to Beijing, none.

Water Rat posted a job advertisement that quoted 5500 for a Bachelor's, 6500 for a Master's and 7500 for a PhD. Are you suggesting that being paid more than that is being "pampered"? The advertisement also does not mention a preference for white people. In any case, does it matter if white people earn a high salary? Is anyone asking you to pay it? Beijing schools must pay an adequaete salary to recruit the people they want to recruit. This is the reason why Beijing schools pay more. It has nothing to do with anyone's personal opinion about the value of one's work.
Markness

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanghai Noon wrote:
zacharybilton wrote:

Water Rat posted a job advertisement that quoted 5500 for a Bachelor's, 6500 for a Master's and 7500 for a PhD. Are you suggesting that being paid more than that is being "pampered"? The advertisement also does not mention a preference for white people. In any case, does it matter if white people earn a high salary? Is anyone asking you to pay it? Beijing schools must pay an adequaete salary to recruit the people they want to recruit. This is the reason why Beijing schools pay more. It has nothing to do with anyone's personal opinion about the value of one's work.

Agreed, no one is being pampered on that kind of salary in Beijing. That is literally the same amount a common Chinese person makes out there with those qualifications. 2-3000RMB gone from eating food per month in Beijing + going out to a movie every now and then/having a few beers with co-workers every now and then = no savings at all on that salary. I go through that kind of money here in Chengdu (which is significantly cheaper with housing/food). What's the point of working overseas and working for pretty much nothing?

Beijing is a massive city as well with many more rich people than the city I am in, I would hate to believe that they can't afford to pay more than that.. I hope they enjoy hiring a non-native backpacker.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer surprises me as well, water rat. So I'll address this to asiannationmc: Just last year, a friend (who's worked in Asia 15+ years) made a short trip to Beijing and was practically traumatized by the pollution and described a small exodus of FTs and offers higher than a norm. Of course, China is huge, and Beijing is huge, so to casually relate anecdotes as any meaningful index is foolhardy, but could you relate any more about what you know of that market?
Deats

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5500 to destroy your lungs and health? You'd have to be bonkers or desperate.

I can just about understand people working for 15k+ in Beijing, but I wouldn't even do that. You can't buy health.

When I worked in Heilngjiang we always had Chinese people - especially taxi drivers - asking us our salary. So, I asked the taxi drivers and they said they earned 6000 a month.

Puts it into perspective.
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Beijingers, the commoners manage to live on salaries that don't go into the 10's. Why should a white guy with no formal teaching education, certification, on the run, or whatever get cash for being white?

Many are still dependent on family to make up the difference or live in incredible cramped quarters or a garrison of roommates. Perhaps white privileged is something you know about "zacharybilton" cause no brother is gonna admit to a name like that.

Quote:
Just last year, a friend (who's worked in Asia 15+ years) made a short trip to Beijing and was practically traumatized by the pollution and described a small exodus of FTs and offers higher than a norm. Of course, China is huge, and Beijing is huge, so to casually relate anecdotes as any meaningful index is foolhardy, but could you relate any more about what you know of that market?

Last year did see some increase with the hysteria created by the airapocalypse and it did raise the bar but recent government directives issued by the party (later to lock down the reporter who let the cat out of the bag by publishing the memo) the emphasis is off of western culture and English is being discounted in the school system... I am not inferring that this is the end... just that as to outward appearances unis may try, at least, publicly to appear tht they are not pushing western culture. Yes plenty of jobs still and the pay is still worth it.... as you said one advert does not a market make, however, when I realized the university I was working at were bringing in new programs with American University franchises, I found that the new hires were not making the same as I and I was even told that I was the highest paid teacher of this program in China, by Engineering Department of the British University I worked for, and my paycheck came from another department so no real reason for them to fib, but you know uni's .... I did agree to work as a consultant for them until this school year ended and that is how I know the current pay schedule is less than before. This is my last year teaching as I have a retirement plan, which is my wife will keep working and I have a bunch of Jing A license plates to sale .... I recently was contacted by a tutor agency .. asking if i would like additional work after school ends... they were shocked at my asking price but then again .. why start low.. especially when u really don't wanna work. I do think the market is collapsing but as to how far and if it is lasting .. anyone's guess...every farmer has a cell phone and as they become aware of the western world around they may focus on English as a good way to rear the child so as to have the best opportunity to provide for the ole man and ole lady in their golden years. By the way I thought today was a great air day .. until I met a guy from Little Rock .. who told me it was like a bad air day in Arkansas but what do i know.. I came from a steel producing city.
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Beijingers, the commoners manage to live on salaries that don't go into the 10's. Why should a white guy with no formal teaching education, certification, on the run, or whatever get cash for being white?

Many are still dependent on family to make up the difference or live in incredible cramped quarters or a garrison of roommates. Perhaps white privileged is something you know about "zacharybilton" cause no brother is gonna admit to a name like that.

Quote:
Just last year, a friend (who's worked in Asia 15+ years) made a short trip to Beijing and was practically traumatized by the pollution and described a small exodus of FTs and offers higher than a norm. Of course, China is huge, and Beijing is huge, so to casually relate anecdotes as any meaningful index is foolhardy, but could you relate any more about what you know of that market?

Last year did see some increase with the hysteria created by the airapocalypse and it did raise the bar but recent government directives issued by the party (later to lock down the reporter who let the cat out of the bag by publishing the memo) the emphasis is off of western culture and English is being discounted in the school system... I am not inferring that this is the end... just that as to outward appearances unis may try, at least, publicly to appear tht they are not pushing western culture. Yes plenty of jobs still and the pay is still worth it.... as you said one advert does not a market make, however, when I realized the university I was working at were bringing in new programs with American University franchises, I found that the new hires were not making the same as I and I was even told that I was the highest paid teacher of this program in China, by Engineering Department of the British University I worked for, and my paycheck came from another department so no real reason for them to fib, but you know uni's .... I did agree to work as a consultant for them until this school year ended and that is how I know the current pay schedule is less than before. This is my last year working for a uni as I have a retirement plan, which is my wife will keep working and I have a bunch of Jing A license plates to sale and just rented a garage space out by Shuni .... I recently was contacted by a tutor agency .. asking if i would like additional work after school ends... they were shocked at my asking price but then again .. why start low.. especially when u really don't wanna work. I do think the market is collapsing but as to how far and if it is lasting .. anyone's guess...every farmer has a cell phone and as they become aware of the western world around they may focus on English as a good way to rear the child so as to have the best opportunity to provide for the ole man and ole lady in their golden years. By the way I thought today was a great air day .. until I met a guy from Little Rock .. who told me it was like a bad air day in Arkansas but what do i know.. I came from a steel producing city.

Deats you can 'sack" you lungs for a lot less... smoke 中南海while listening to Car Sick Cars....

Quote:
Some drunk old guy who likes to look at college girls might just take it...

And to think .. they get paid while scoring....they should be ashamed of them selves at their age.... but I reckon they are quite taken with their new found stud'ness.... and to think that little blue pill offers the the same prowess that use to be contained to a youthful body, perhaps like yours...but don't fret, someday you will get to experience what it is like. For one I am very pleased with my winter spring romance, which started over cheap can beer.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
5500 to destroy your lungs and health? You'd have to be bonkers or desperate.

I can just about understand people working for 15k+ in Beijing, but I wouldn't even do that. You can't buy health.

When I worked in Heilngjiang we always had Chinese people - especially taxi drivers - asking us our salary. So, I asked the taxi drivers and they said they earned 6000 a month.

Puts it into perspective.

Yep, I turned down a job at 16000 in BJ, plus 5000 for apartment. But the pollution turned me off. And I have "done" BJ before, pun fully intended. I took a job in a quiet place, great environment, higher total salary than the BJ gig, plus free apartment, and with (currently) just six hours of teaching a week. But I guess it's the hardship post factor that necessitates the salary Wink
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I have "done" BJ before, pun fully intended.

Is this the forum for that kind of admission.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiannationmc wrote:
Quote:
And I have "done" BJ before, pun fully intended.

Not if you have no sense of humour, or want to be outraged by imagining whatever you want from such a vague statement. Admission suggests wrong-doing, and no such thing has been stated.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiannationmc wrote:
Where one derail ends another begins...

No, it doesn't have to be, but policing language is tricky. And even if joking about a "reality" of ESL culture (a fading character of asymmetric and socio-economic relationships that can be respected as well as exploited) positing such a "pun", vaguely or not, on a public board is more an exercise of unchecked privilege. My first association was Monty Python's sketch Nudge Nudge Wink Wink

Thanks for that response asiannationmc. Enjoy your retirement. I'll likely die with my boots on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: