Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'O' Visa Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: 'O' Visa Question Reply with quote

Hello,

I'd really appreciate some advice from people on the ground in Thailand who know the scoop on O Visas.

I've been told a lot of different things and I'd like to get some advice from people who are in a similar situation.

I'm a Canadian Male married (In Ontario, Canada) to a Thai woman. We lived in Canada for a few years when we moved from Japan. My wife moved back to Thailand a couple of years ago and I've just joined her after selling off the house and getting rid of everything in Canada.

Upon sale of our house, I went to the Thai consulate in Toronto and obtained a multiple entry 'O' Visa. It is good until March 17th, 2016 it says.

I arrived in Thailand about April 22nd, and was given a stamp in my passport that said that I could stay until July 20th, 2015.

It is my understanding that I have to do a 'visa run' to Myranmar (closest to my location) before July 20th.....and then will get another 90 day stamp....and can do this until March 17th of next year at which time I will have to renew my 'O' visa at the local office in Chiang Rai, where I have to show at least 400,000 Baht in the bank at that time.

My wife is of the opinion that I do 'not' yet have a year long 'O' Visa and that I have to show 400,000 in the bank at least 2 months before renewal (which she believes to be July 20th)......

What is the scoop? Do I already HAVE a year long 'O' Visa as I believe?

Can I renew the 'O' Visa within the country? (The Consulate in Toronto didn't believe so).....

I'm confused and can't get a straight answer.

Please help!

William
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Unfortunately you will not be automatically granted a one year visa...and you will have to leave the country when your current non immigrant"O" multiple entry visa expires and apply for a new Non immigrant "O" visa (single entry) at a Thai embassy/consulate which you need to show to extend your visa up to one year. Mind you there are a lot if new requirements these days...contact your local "friendly"immigration officer for all the paperwork (and photos) you will need to show for proof you are still married and living together. In addition you may have to make a couple trips to the bank to prove to the immigration officer you still have the money in the bank account It is a long, albeit slow process of continuos hurdles aka hassles these days and getting an extension for one year will require three (or perhaps) 4 trips to the immigration office and a lot of PATIENCE. Good luck and welcome to the Land of Smiles Smile Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your visa has a life span of 1 year (a 1-year multi-entry visa).
Your maximum allowed period of stay (per entry) is 90 days.
Before your allowed period of stay has expired you must leave the country.
You are then free to return at your convenience and continue to repeat this process until the expiry date indicated on the visa.

Your options are to continue doing this
OR
qualify for an extension of stay on your non-O by reason of marriage.
This requires money in the bank (or proof of sufficient income) and some other paperwork.

These extensions are granted in lengths of time of up to 1 year.
You can get an extension each year for up to 1 year provided you meet the requirements for the extension of stay.

I entered the country in 2010 and have simply extended my stay each year and purchased a re-entry permit when necessary due to the need or desire to travel outside of the country.

Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
You are then free to return at your convenience and continue to repeat this process until the expiry date indicated on the visa.

OR
This requires money in the bank (or proof of sufficient income) and some other paperwork.

You can get an extension each year for up to 1 year provided you meet the requirements for the extension of stay.

I entered the country in 2010 and have simply extended my stay each year and purchased a re-entry permit when necessary due to the need or desire to travel outside of the country.

Thank you for your reply. This is what I believed. That I simply do Visa runs every 90 days until March 17, 2016 when my multiple entry O visa runs out and then apply for an extension at the Immigration office in Chiang Rai showing at least 400,000 Baht in the bank at that time...and I can do this because I'm married to a Thai woman with proof of a marriage certificate.

On the other hand, the post above says that I must leave the country to re-apply for a visa. I'll go broke if I have to run back to Canada every time I want an O visa.

Anyhow, I appreciate the replies.

I was told in Toronto at the Thai Consulate that as a person who is married to a Thai national, that I am eligible to convert to a working visa if I find work. Anyone here actually do that?

If caught working on an O visa without a work visa, are the consequences dire?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willy_In_Japan wrote:
Thank you for your reply. This is what I believed. That I simply do Visa runs every 90 days until March 17, 2016 when my multiple entry O visa runs out and then apply for an extension at the Immigration office in Chiang Rai showing at least 400,000 Baht in the bank at that time...and I can do this because I'm married to a Thai woman with proof of a marriage certificate.

On the other hand, the post above says that I must leave the country to re-apply for a visa. I'll go broke if I have to run back to Canada every time I want an O visa.

I was told in Toronto at the Thai Consulate that as a person who is married to a Thai national, that I am eligible to convert to a working visa if I find work. Anyone here actually do that?

different animals. There IS NO SUCH THING AS A "WORK VISA."

Non-O (other) visa - permission to enter the country for various non-employment related reasons (marriage, family, retirement, volunteerism, etc)

AFTER you are here you can EXTEND your period of stay based on marriage with proof of funds and proper documentation. You to NOT need to leave the country nor do you have to wait till the visa expiry date.

You CAN choose to exit every 90 days and then extend you stay before your last period of stay expires. (this will give you 11 months to get your funds in the bank and get your documents in order).

Work permit - permission from the labor office to work in the country.

Non-B visa - entry for the purpose of work or business. If you plan to work you need a work permit.

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Yes if caught working on an "O" visa without having a work permit you may be fined and deported...or even worse banned from entering Thailand for up to 5 years. The laws are getting more stringent by the day...nothing like the Good Old Days!!! Shocked
Nuolan

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to return to Canada to get a new Non-O if you want to continue doing the 90-day runs. The Thai consulate in Savannakhet, Laos will issue you one for 5,000THB and the relevant paperwork.
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've convinced the wife that I've got a 'year' O Visa, and that I don't have to 'renew' the visa until March of next year. (She keeps saying I've got to 'renew' the visa) I realize that I must do a 'visa run' every 90 days and do this until I 'renew' or 'extend' the O visa in March of next year.

I think that her use of 'renew' is a confusion as to 90 day stamps in my passport and the full page visa.

She seems to think that if I show 400,000 Baht in the bank that when I come in 'next time' that my 'day stamp' will be for a year.

She believes that I've got to leave the country (Closest to me is Burma) and that she has to accompany me. Due to a sick mother in law, traveling 4 times a year for a visa run is a burden. My wife is of the opinion that I can yet a year long 'day stamp' (for lack of a better term) in my passport and won't need to do 'visa runs'.

Is there anyone here who is married and has a YEAR 'day stamp' in their passport? Is that possible?
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Willy_In_Japan wrote:

different animals. There IS NO SUCH THING AS A "WORK VISA."

Non-O (other) visa - permission to enter the country for various non-employment related reasons (marriage, family, retirement, volunteerism, etc)

AFTER you are here you can EXTEND your period of stay based on marriage with proof of funds and proper documentation. You to NOT need to leave the country nor do you have to wait till the visa expiry date.

You CAN choose to exit every 90 days and then extend you stay before your last period of stay expires. (this will give you 11 months to get your funds in the bank and get your documents in order).

Work permit - permission from the labor office to work in the country.

Non-B visa - entry for the purpose of work or business. If you plan to work you need a work permit.

When you say 'extend your stay'.....do you mean the year long visa, or the days that you can stay before you have to leave again? If you can extend the 90 days, does this get extended to a year?
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

OR

Thanks. I'm used to Japan. Has been difficult to get my mind around the 'you have a visa but have to leave every 90 days thing'.

When I first read this 'extension' seemed to be on the visa and not on the 90 day blocks you can stay thing. I think I'm starting to figure it out.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any NON-<?> visa is good for a 90-day entry. (NON-<?> = Non-B, Non-O, etc)

Near the end of that 90 days you can extend your allowed period of stay for up to 1 year.
- This will require your bank deposit and some other paperwork.
- You need to go to your regional immigration office to apply for the "extension of stay based on marriage". It is NOT automatic.
- There is a fee of 1900 baht (annually) for the extension.

Your other option is to leave the country before your 90 days expires and return for another 90 day period of stay.

It is also of note that if you extend your stay you still need to report your place of residence to immigration every 90 days (free - just fill in the paperwork). This is what is referred to as the 90-day report.

So the bottom line is:

You can fly to Thailand and enter on your non-O. This will allow you to stay for 90 days.

Then you can choose to:
    -Leave and return every 90 days (your wife does NOT need to accompany you).
    -Go to the local immigration office and apply for a 1-year extension of stay and skip the border runs.

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

I hope you have children with your Thai wife...cause officials may not extend you "O" visa here if you don't. Good luck! Shocked
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
To The OP,

I hope you have children with your Thai wife...cause officials may not extend you "O" visa here if you don't. Good luck! Shocked

Sadly, No.

I'll deal with that bridge when I come to it.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an issue if you earn more than 40k/month or have more than 400k in the bank.

bigdurian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than doing a border run every 90 days, you can also extend your 90 days by another 60 days for 2000 Baht at you local immigration office. No requirements other than showing your marriage certificate( or translated copy stamped by MOFA Cheang Wattana), wifes ID card, blue house book, etc. Your wife will have to go with you to show you're still together.

You mention Burma as a hop, if you extend locally you will only have to do this every five months, near enough.

Also, if you enter Thailand on the last day of your visa's validity, you will still get 90 days, which is still extendable by another 60 locally. So in effect you can get about 17 months out of your one year visa.

Or like someone else said, if you're planning on sticking around permanently you would be best off doing a one year extension where you show the 400k in the bank etc.

Whatever you do, it's worth going to your local immigration office in advance to find out exactly what they want to see as it can vary from office to office. Nothing worse than getting there to find that they want to see something you don't have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: