Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acceptable salary package?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
balqis

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there is also another question: Why was the OP offered less than the usual ELES deal?
He only mentions 800 plus housing for Salalah. Why?

balqis
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttxor1 wrote:
I believe a teacher is given one month's paid vacation for a full time, year long contract. however, there have been reports that for one reason or another, vacations have been postponed... I think there are a few teachers who are owed at least a few months' vacay.

This has been a common occurrence with ELS/ELES. Numerous posts and threads attest to it on here.

ELS/ELES insist in their contract that teachers must work "a full calendar year" before getting their vacation pay. Of course, it seems everyone failed to tell them, (or maybe they're just greedy crooks), that if you work a whole calendar year, and only receive your vacation pay afterwards, then you're not really getting ANY vacation. You're just receiving a gratuity, and then sent on the plane home...
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope ELS don't have any staff posted in the interior-working a whole year without vacation would have them going stir crazy.......
ttxor1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
Then there is also another question: Why was the OP offered less than the usual ELES deal?
He only mentions 800 plus housing for Salalah. Why?

balqis

I was wondering the same thing. From what the OP says, it doesn't really match ELES's offer for Muscat nor for interior posts. The OP writes "The package is for 800 Omani rial (sic) with paid airfare, health insurance and a furnished 2 bedroom apartment (worth 200 rials)." omanoman follows up with "well, if the actual value is 1000 (800+200) then it's not terrible, but not that good." But the OP isn't really clear on this. So in other words, is the OP's salary 1000 minus accommodation, or 800 with accommodation included (or, even worse, 800 minus accommodation, then 600 OMR)?

Anyway, I have two hunches, and they are exactly that: just guesses and speculation:

1) ELS/ELES Salalah runs its own show, according to the center director in Muscat. He said he hasn't spoken to the manager in Salalah for about six months. No bad feelings between them or anything, but they just are quite separate entities (other than for accounting purposes), but they are the same company. So, maybe the OP was offered less because ELES Salalah has their own pay scale? Maybe they lowballed him to see if he would bargain?

2) The OP notes that his wife isn't a full time employee because of her Pakistani citizenship. This doesn't jive with what I know about the company. They have teachers from the Indian subcontinent as full time employees in their Muscat center, however, they usually aren't EFL teachers; they might teach other subjects like math. The OP doesn't reveal his citizenship but notes flying back to the U.S. From this, we can assume he is American, but the OP doesn't explicitly say that he is. He just notes his wife's citizenship. So, the OP's citizenship might be the reason he wasn't offered the usual deal if he isn't from US/UK/Canada/NZ/Ireland/Aus, etc...
omanoman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OP offer was pretty clear .....? 800 plus, including accommodation so the value of it is 1000. I suppose one negotiating option would be ask for a cash package and the OP finds his own accommodation, if you can find one for under 200 then it is in pocket.

I've been around for a while and so has ELES and I don't think they are in the "rip-off" business. Low offers, certainly, but if that's what you signed on for then.....

But surely Salalah is a world unto itself anyways, things always seem a bit different down there, and now, soon to be overrun by the Khareef hordes !
ttxor1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
I think the OP offer was pretty clear .....? 800 plus, including accommodation so the value of it is 1000. I suppose one negotiating option would be ask for a cash package and the OP finds his own accommodation, if you can find one for under 200 then it is in pocket.

I've been around for a while and so has ELES and I don't think they are in the "rip-off" business. Low offers, certainly, but if that's what you signed on for then.....

But surely Salalah is a world unto itself anyways, things always seem a bit different down there, and now, soon to be overrun by the Khareef hordes !

re-read your post, omanoman. You said "well, if the actual value is 1000 (800+200)..." The figure 1000 is assumed by you, it's nowhere in the OP's post. A reasonable assumption, but an assumption nonetheless.

Also, don't put words in my mouth. I never used the term "rip-off" in my post. Again, another assumption that you make, rather than what was actually said/written.

I've never claimed ELS/ELES rips people off, nor will I. Nor will I be a cheerleader for them. I'll stick to what I know, and when I speculate or make guesses, will add that as a necessary disclaimer, as I did.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness... that seems a bit of over-reaction. I read his use of "rip-off" not as quote of yours, but as in... a so-called rip-off. He is just saying that they have been around for awhile and are an OK employer.

He wasn't putting words in your mouth, but you are merely misinterpreting his comment.

And such nit-picking over what 800+free housing means? Come on you two... Laughing It is all rather moot since the OP accepted the offer.

VS
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be aware, my sensitive fellow poster, that there are more than you and I on the thread. In the absence of direct quotations, one can assume that a posted response could be for any number of recent posts. In my case, I was also including madrilo's crack about "greedy crooks" which is a fairly harsh speculation and undeserved in my opinion.

no worries, have a pleasant day!
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is unbearable!
djstorm1987

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys. I was out for a month vacationing. The offer was for 800 OMR plus 200 omr housing allowance which is 1000 omr in total. In regards to my citizenship I am a U.S citizen. As of now I have already sent them my wife`s TEFL certs as that is what we were waiting for. I will send the director an email to try to negotiate her salary prior to our arrival. I have in the mean time applied at hawthorn and see what other offers I`ll be able to get if accepted.
balqis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A contract with Hawthorn, i.e. MoHE CAS Colleges would be best for you. You may also try Al Nawa or Globnet, who recruit for MOM i.e. Colleges of Technology.
Even if Hawthorn/Mr Majali offers you their lowest salary, it will be more than you are being offered now, plus housing and furniture will be provided by them, and the CAS academic year has the best structure in Oman time-wise. So try to conquer Mr Abdul Majali with your CV.

balqis
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
A contract with Hawthorn, i.e. MoHE CAS Colleges would be best for you. You may also try Al Nawa or Globnet, who recruit for MOM i.e. Colleges of Technology.
Even if Hawthorn/Mr Majali offers you their lowest salary, it will be more than you are being offered now, plus housing and furniture will be provided by them, and the CAS academic year has the best structure in Oman time-wise. So try to conquer Mr Abdul Majali with your CV.

balqis

Agreed. However, Hawthorn are probably at the tail-end of their recruiting process at this time of year. However, you never know and people may have dropped out etc. Good luck!
balqis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, where I was, Hawthorn was sending new faculty over non-stop all semester through. So it is worth trying to bewitch Abdul Majali, even if to join their waiting list, where seats may move forward fast.

balqis
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may very well be the case, balqis. In the Salalah CAS, we haven't lost a single teacher this year (although a few are not renewing for September). Anyway, other CAS centers may have had/will have very different experiences and there is every chance that the OP may get lucky.
djstorm1987

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys later today I will check out the two recruiting sites mentioned above. Last night I sent my CV and qualifications to this email address (Mod edit) which I`m hoping is Mr. Majali`s email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: