Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is SQU still hiring for the fall?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie123

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Is SQU still hiring for the fall? Reply with quote

I can't find any ads.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ad for the Language Centre is still up on their website. (Do an Internet search for squ jobs non-omanis.) However, they started recruiting teachers at TESOL Arabia's and TESOL International's respective job fairs two months ago and therefore, may be done hiring for the upcoming academic year. (They do the brunt of their recruiting/hiring at these annual events.)

Regardless, since your MA is in English Literature, your chances for a position appear slim per the following statement on the Language Centre's webpage: "Applicants whose qualifications do not meet any of the specified qualifications (e.g. those with an MA in Translation or Literature) will not be considered, and will not receive a reply. Applicants who receive regret letters can re-apply after a relevant upgrade to their qualifications or experience." This isn't unusual. Many universities throughout the GCC do not recognize English Lit as relevant to TESOL. Plus, it's a very common degree major in the region, so it's not unique to western expats.

If you also have a CELTA or equivalent in-class TEFL cert, look into positions advertised via Saudi contracting companies on the Cafe's job board.
Sydney2002

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OP

I'm not sure why that ad is still up on the Language Centre website. I think they must have forgotten to take it off. I'm at the LC now, and to my knowledge they are no longer hiring for this fall. They've already selected 19 from the TESOL Arabia and TESOL Int'l conventions.

If you're in Oman right now, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and apply. But if you're not, I'd suggested waiting for next year. Good luck!
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, then. Can I ask how much the LC pays a new recruit?
Noelle

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ask.

Doesn't mean you'll get an answer. Many of us (albeit, not all) at the LC do not post such things here.
balqis

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creme dela creme
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a professional elite that they would never stoop to discussing or stating what the salary is......pompous or what?
Noelle

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly. Salary is a taboo topic here. And these forums can be monitored.

It's called common sense.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While an individual teacher may not want to discuss where s/he lands on the scale, there used to be an official memo of the existing scales back when SQU started. I suspect that it is no longer as transparent.

What they pay will depend on your educational credentials and number of years you have certificates of employment for... it will be higher than the recruiter jobs/private universities, and lower than the rest of the Gulf.

But as Nomad pointed out, your MA won't be recognized and put you down both the salary scale and chance of being hired. I don't know your background, but it would give you a better chance if you have a few years of teaching Arabic speakers. From what you have posted, I would say that your chances at SQU are limited. If you put in a couple years with the recruiters, you might have a better chance in the future.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay is supposed to be the same across the state tertiary sector since last year albeit only for Omanis. So if you can get hold of the CAS payscales for Omanis then you have your answer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he isn't Omani, how would that answer his question?

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Since he isn't Omani, how would that answer his question?

VS

Because the revised payscales are based on the previous highest payer which was SQU so the pay that an Omani gets at a CAS College would be what he would receive at SQU even as a non-Omani.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... that detail will help him (or others) to figure it out. But, I'm not sure how someone outside of Oman could get their hands on that. Would it be online? (silly question of the day... LOL)

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, in order to apply, the OP will have to attend TESOL Arabia in Dubai next year since that's where SQU recruits and conducts interviews. That will be a reality check.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Ah... that detail will help him (or others) to figure it out. But, I'm not sure how someone outside of Oman could get their hands on that. Would it be online? (silly question of the day... LOL)VS

The scales used to be online but didn't indicate the actual salary. I was on 1600 omr for a Masters + > 4 years verifiable experience last year when the change happened and the general belief was that if the increase had been given to ex-pats then it would have meant an extra couple of hundred a month. Given that the military college pays 1900 I would guess that SQU would be around that benchmark. There's a lot more cash to be made by going freelance and working across the Gulf but you have to manage your own affairs re holiday pay etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: