Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making the transition from Poland to Middle East

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckMC

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Making the transition from Poland to Middle East Reply with quote

I am a first year teacher who is planning to become CELTA certified in August. I am doing so to make the transition to teaching in the Middle East. I have read what one of the posters here have said about his experience of working in the Mid-East for 10 years and being able to save a lot of money. He now plans to semi-retire in Poland in a few years. I want to do something like that myself. How do i go about achieving that? Where is the best places to work in the Middle East?

Thanks
scottie1113

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Making the transition from Poland to Middle East Reply with quote

chuckMC wrote:

Quote:
Where is the best places to work in the Middle East?

Thanks

The best places is where they teach good gramer. Sheesh.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Making the transition from Poland to Middle East Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:
chuckMC wrote:

Quote:
Where is the best places to work in the Middle East?

Thanks

The best places is where they teach good gramer. Sheesh.

Thanks, Scottie1113, for the notification. Can you please add something substantive!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: I'm in the Middle East. Reply with quote

There are 2 ways you can go. The first is to get super-qualified and go the uni route. The second is to go down the oil and gas or military route. The latter pays better but the trainees may be much tougher to deal with as will the company rules.

The UAE is probably the best for work-life balance. There's money to be made there too. Qatar is also pretty nice but there's less work. Saudi has a few military contracts and then there are the Aramco recruiters. No work in Bahrain and Kuwait is a bit of an anti-climax.

Just off the top of my head a pal of mine contracting at Aramco is on $110,000, several pals are at BAe on over 4,000 pounds per month with free everything on top including flights , food, bonus etc and I'm over the $100,000k mark with free digs and food.

If you're American, try and network some Aramco people/ recruiters. It's a way in but you might have to do some cruddy gigs for a few years first to earn your stripes.

It can be done.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning to get a CELTA in the future. When I do, what jobs will I be qualified for in the Middle East? Can I work in the UAE, where (as you said) has the best work-life balance? I am American, so what will be the right path? Will it be Aramco?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a degree?
chuckMC

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But not related to English or English teaching.:/
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckMC wrote:
I am planning to get a CELTA in the future. When I do, what jobs will I be qualified for in the Middle East? Can I work in the UAE, where (as you said) has the best work-life balance? I am American, so what will be the right path? Will it be Aramco?

[Degree] not related to English or English teaching.

This thread should have posted in the ME forums since it has nothing to do with Poland, but...

Forget about qualifying for any type of position in the UAE or with Aramco; your best bet for employment in the Gulf is via a Saudi contracting company. These companies staff teachers in various university and vocational college English language programs. However, you'd need to get that CELTA or equivalent TEFL cert soon because employers aren't likely to count any of your experience gained prior to receiving proper teacher training (i.e., training that included supervised and assessed teaching practice with real students). That means you'll be considered a complete newbie with an unrelated degree, which may only get you work with the sketchiest of contracting companies.

I suggest you head to the Saudi forum to scroll through the threads and post your questions there.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nomad Soul. I will post this message in the ME forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: