Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Becoming more difficult to secure first job?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shanghai Noon

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't usually tell you the reason because they don't want you to use it against them. I got fired from one international school because of student enrollment, and I got a settlement for that one. The other international school didn't tell me, but they implied that it was because I didn't fudge grades. As for the training center, I really don't know, but it's very easy to get fired from one. I'm not complaining. After every firing, I got a much better position.
Son of Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel.Ro wrote:

I was checking out the job boards on here, and some postings say "no degree needed". So yeah, if schools are actually taking people without degrees then I should have no issue finding work lol.

If you do get a job, would you keep us apprised re: type of school, general location, compensation, and type of visa you go in on? This could help others.

Thanks.
Deats

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired from 5 jobs in China? Wow. You must be utterly incompetent. If I ever got fired from 1 I would hang my head in shame. But 5!!! Impressive.

I can't even imagine what kind of EFL teacher you must be....

It's also a sad reflection that in China you can be given a 6th chance Sad

Makes the rest of us look bad.
Shanghai Noon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats, you clearly didn't read any of my posts except for the first sentence. I have been fired from three jobs, not five. I am on my fifth one. One would be termed a layoff in our respective home countries, but in Chinese work culture there is no real difference between the two. Another one was because (it was implied) I refused to fudge grades. For one job, I don't know why I got fired but it was a training center and they tend to cycle through a lot of employees. One job I actually did quit. If that makes me incompetent, then so be it. Two of the companies that fired me actually got rid of all their foreign teachers within the year, so I actually dodged a major bullet both times.
Deats

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once maybe bad luck... twice, well... thrice... hmm

There seems to be a pattern.

Maybe in a western country I could understand this more, but it takes a hell of a lot to lose your job in China.

So to be on to your 5th job is quite something.
Angel.Ro

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Bud Powell wrote:
Angel.Ro wrote:

I was checking out the job boards on here, and some postings say "no degree needed". So yeah, if schools are actually taking people without degrees then I should have no issue finding work lol.

If you do get a job, would you keep us apprised re: type of school, general location, compensation, and type of visa you go in on? This could help others.

Thanks.

Yeah I will. I'm still in the preliminary stages of this whole process - haven't completed a TEFL course yet. So it will probably be a few months. Still trying to decide whether CELTA is worth the extra time and money for someone who is only looking to be abroad for a couple of years.
Shanghai Noon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It is quite something. It definitely makes for an interesting resume. I don't agree that it takes a lot to lose your job. I have always worked in private schools where popularity comes into consideration, expecially at a training center in Shanghai where parents can very easily take their money elsewhere. This is why I don't work at training centers anymore.
AKChina

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely this is just a case of where the customer (client) is always right. If your employer wants to to fudge the grades, just shut up and do it. You're still getting paid at the end of the month, just do as you're told.
Shanghai Noon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I got paid on the 10th of each month, which is not the end by any stretch of the imagination. Second, I was never "told" to fudge grades. I said in a previous post that it was implied in the meeting. They wouldn't tell you that explicitely because you could use it against them. Third, if I got fired for that reason, then it's a good thing. I'd rather be fired for doing the right thing than be kept on for doing wrong, especially when it's that wrong. If my employer wants fudged grades, they can teach the class themselves. I will have no part in it.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKChina wrote:
Surely this is just a case of where the customer (client) is always right. If your employer wants to to fudge the grades, just shut up and do it. You're still getting paid at the end of the month, just do as you're told.
I wonder why the poster didn't use "I" statements:
    If my employer wants to fudge grades, I just shut up and do it. I'm still getting paid at the end of the month; I just do what I'm told.
Simple advocacy doesn't serve an agenda is my speculation.

I found Deats' appraisal somewhat severe because for-profit enterprises can be unreliable. Nor had Deats' carefully read Shanghai Noon's post. AKChina is piling on for reasons less "innocent".
AKChina

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
AKChina wrote:
I wonder why the poster didn't use "I" statements:
    If my employer wants to fudge grades, I just shut up and do it. I'm still getting paid at the end of the month; I just do what I'm told.
Simple advocacy doesn't serve an agenda is my speculation.

Can I have this translated into English please?
buravirgil

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKChina wrote:
Is English not your first language?

You seem sufficiently educated to tell others what to do on a matter of labor relations.

Dismissing the entirety of a post (after needlessly quoting it in full) is called a tone argument. But you're not good at it. Before telling someone what to do by repeatedly casting statements in the 2nd person, try the 1st person and ask, "Would I take this advice?"

Just do what you're told...puhleeze.
AKChina

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
AKChina wrote:
Is English not your first language?

You seem sufficiently educated to tell others what to do on a matter of labor relations.

Dismissing the entirety of a post (after needlessly quoting it in full) is called a tone argument. But you're not good at it. Before telling someone what to do by repeatedly casting statements in the 2nd person, try the 1st person and ask, "Would I take this advice?"

Just do what you're told...puhleeze.

If my employer told me (or implied) to change some grades, yes I'd bloody well do it. It doesn't make my life anymore difficult and they're the ones paying my wages. Their school, their money, their rules.
hdeth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
Fired from 5 jobs in China? Wow. You must be utterly incompetent. If I ever got fired from 1 I would hang my head in shame. But 5!!! Impressive.

I can't even imagine what kind of EFL teacher you must be....

It's also a sad reflection that in China you can be given a 6th chance Sad

Makes the rest of us look bad.

It drives up the wages for good workers. Can't really complain. Nice being able to point out you come to work on time and sober and demand a substantial raise.
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have failed plenty of student in a British franchise program over the years and it seems, at the end of the year, upon academic review by the Chinese University and by the Franchised British University, they somehow always get to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: