Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evaluating LA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PittsburghSound wrote:
So many great choices. I don't know which one to pick. Seems like I can't really go wrong with any of them.

I've really been tossing Quito around in my mind a lot lately. Bogota seems like a slam dunk, though. The visa is super easy to get and there are tons of jobs. I also just think it might be the most exciting place of the ones I've listed for a young single man.

I'm probably not going anywhere until April, so I still have time to decide.

Most observers are positive about Colombia's long-term economic trajectory (it always seems to rank first or second for the the region in the various studies of economic growth and general business environment and positive perceptions), so it's a pretty good bet for somewhere to settle down in for more than a year or two.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that, Spanglish. Thanks!

wanderingxelmundo wrote:

I'm curious what you mean about the visa being super easy to get? From what I've seen on the Colombia page an employer needs to sponsor you for a visa, which takes away a bit of flexibility if you want to change jobs or work part time, etc.

Good luck whatever you decide!

When I say easier to get, I refer to the amount of time and required documents to get the visa. In Colombia, it is my understanding that you could conceivably get the work visa the day after getting the paperwork from the prospective employer. Not that it's entirely likely given the pace of life in Latin America, but it's at least possible. There's no need to register your degree or arrive on a special visa to begin teaching while that visa is being processed. You get the visa processed the same day as long as the paperwork is correct.

But yes, the Ecuadorian visa is probably a better overall visa.

In the end, the sheer amount of opportunity in Bogota (not just for teaching, but in general) might tilt my scale toward it.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks, I thought maybe there was a visa category in Colombia I had missed. I wouldn't be going to Bogota but most likely to Medellin, where several good friends insist I'd be happier than in Ecuador, but that's without taking into account the visa situation, availability of work, cost of living, etc. which are all in Ecuador's favor.

I'm single too but a relatively older female and probably looking for a different kind of personal/night life than you are. I've actually lived in both Quito and Bogota, though I haven't been back to Quito since 2002, and was in Bogota as recently as 2014. I never made it to Medellin: I may actually go to check out the city before making my final move since the dollar is doing so well and there are really cheap flights from Florida where I am and I know some people there. I may not stop by potential employers though since I don't want to sound like a flake.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an easy visa option in Ecuador as well. Most of the big language schools offer cultural exchange visas, which are for short term teachers (usually 1-2 years). The school does all the paper work for you. However, it's a non-resident visa, it's tied to the job, and it limits the positions you can apply for. But it's an easier option, if you don't want the hassle of applying for your own visa.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After months of research and internal deliberation, I've finally decided. Bogota it is! I'll also be tutoring ESL students at a local university a few days per week this semester, which will help me get a feel for what ESL teaching entails.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and help.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you've made a decision. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: