Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private Company Class
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Private Company Class Reply with quote

I may have the opportunity to teach a private company class here in Queretaro. What would be a reasonable price for a solo teacher to charge for such a class?

Starting June 1, I will not be working for any language school. Instead, I will make most of my money from freelance writing and editing, and I believe I will easily beat my language school income.

I will also keep my two current private students. If more private classes come my way - I've had several inquiries - that would be OK, but I want to preserve most of my time for the more lucrative writing and editing, which sometimes requires quick turnarounds (and pays even better when it does so).

The second language school that I worked for in Queretaro was by no means the worst ever. However, giving any school complete control over 84 hours of my week - 7:00 AM - 10:00 PM Mondays-Fridays, 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM Saturdays - for a mere 12,000 pesos per month is not an arrangement I cared to continue for any period of time. They really used that control, too, constantly dumping substitute classes into my schedule in addition to my regular ones.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Private Company Class Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
I may have the opportunity to teach a private company class here in Queretaro. What would be a reasonable price for a solo teacher to charge for such a class?

How much would your previous employers have charged for such a class? And how much would you have been paid for such a class by your previous employers? I'd be inclined to split the difference. Just make sure you're charging enough to cover both your teaching time (class plus prep work) and any expenses you incur that would normally have been picked up by your employer (e.g., materials, transportation, time spent invoicing and collecting fees, etc.)

Congratulations on finally reaching the point where freelancing is viable! You've only been there like what . . . five months or so? A fairly rapid and mostly smooth transition, I'd say.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought, if the company wants YOU because they know you'll do a better job than whomever the local language schools send, just charge the going corporate rate and don't bother splitting the difference at all.

It sounds like your priority is writing and editing, so no point in taking privates unless they pay enough to make it worth your while.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
On second thought, if the company wants YOU because they know you'll do a better job than whomever the local language schools send, just charge the going corporate rate and don't bother splitting the difference at all.

It sounds like your priority is writing and editing, so no point in taking privates unless they pay enough to make it worth your while.

True, that. But I would like to come in a bit lower than the going corporate rate because that gives me a reputation as representing good value for the money.

I don't honestly know what the two schools I've worked for here charge for corporate classes, though. It's not information they want teachers to be in possession of. That would make it too easy for teachers to figure out the percentage relationship of that rate and their pay.

I've been here for six months now, and the transition has been reasonably smooth, yes. I was feeling so good about it on Saturday that I bought a puppy! (to go with the three cats and one ferret I already live with).

The writing and editing are the earnings priorities because they pay better than the teaching, and pay in U.S. dollars, which is such an advantage given the current exchange rate. I don't want to eliminate teaching from my portfolio, but I want it to take a lesser position, and I want to control it. In fact, I've joked with a friend that two Eighties pop songs - George Michael's "Freedom" and Janet Jackson's "Control" - sum up my desires at the moment.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
I don't honestly know what the two schools I've worked for here charge for corporate classes, though. It's not information they want teachers to be in possession of. That would make it too easy for teachers to figure out the percentage relationship of that rate and their pay.

Can you pretend to be some corporate big-whig, call up a few language schools that wouldn't have any idea who you really are, and ask for a quote for something similar to what you need to know the price for?
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Fitzgerald wrote:

Can you pretend to be some corporate big-whig, call up a few language schools that wouldn't have any idea who you really are, and ask for a quote for something similar to what you need to know the price for?

That's an idea, although I'm not confident of my ability to believably imitate a Mexican business executive!
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
esl_prof wrote:
Fitzgerald wrote:

That's an idea, although I'm not confident of my ability to believably imitate a Mexican business executive!

Have a Mexican do it for you. This was a common pricing technique for privates in Japan in the 90s. You knew what the schools paid the teachers, you knew what the schools charged the students for a 1 on 1 class. You priced your privates at the middle point between the two.

The other option is to decide what would make it worth it to you. If you were doing this class you'd be doing something else like editing. How much would you be making doing that and there's your price.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things occur to me. What I used to do when I was ambivilent about doing a private class was to ask for what I really thought I was worth. So if they said no, oh well, and if they said yes, I got a big paycheck. So if you are not in dire need of the income, or don´t want to do the class for other reasons - such as liking the person, or having things in common with him/her, that might be the way to go.

My last job in Mexico City was working for a business institute and the owner generally charged about double what he paid teachers. I think that is fairly common. So maybe go just a little lower than that to make yourself an attractive choice, but don´t price yourself so cheap that you will resent the time spent on the class.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and on a totally unrelated note, what kind of puppy did you get? I got a beagle puppy for Christmas, and while the original BadBeagleBad passed away a few months ago, this one seems to be more in the BadBadBad()/$&$#BeagleBAD category.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Have a Mexican do it for you.

Brilliant!!! That way you don't get quoted the special Gringo rate but, instead, a rate more in line with what your prospective client is expecting and, hopefully, willing to pay.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Oh and on a totally unrelated note, what kind of puppy did you get? I got a beagle puppy for Christmas, and while the original BadBeagleBad passed away a few months ago, this one seems to be more in the BadBadBad()/$&$#BeagleBAD category.

My puppy Rocio appears to be a Scorkie (Scottish Terrier / Yorkshire Terrier mix). She is SMALL but full of pep. This is only the fifth day I've had her, and we are well on the way with housebreaking. She totally gets what going outside is for.

Rocio is also getting along great with the other animals. My crew is playful but mellow, with not an aggressive animal among the five.
Jultime

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the puppy! I'm quite happy here at my house with my rented dog, she's a sweet, relaxed girl.

Yeah, I've no idea what the school I work for charges corporate clients. I'm happy enough with my job and pay. Fortunately, I don't work a ridiculous amount of hours and the school rarely messes with my schedule.

We are still in need of teachers if anyone is interested in working in Queretaro.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

My puppy Rocio appears to be a Scorkie (Scottish Terrier / Yorkshire Terrier mix). She is SMALL but full of pep. This is only the fifth day I've had her, and we are well on the way with housebreaking. She totally gets what going outside is for.

Rocio is also getting along great with the other animals. My crew is playful but mellow, with not an aggressive animal among the five.

FYI there are Mexicans out there who are quite offended by giving pets human names. I'm not suggesting you change it, just a heads up so you won't be caught off guard.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
FYI there are Mexicans out there who are quite offended by giving pets human names. I'm not suggesting you change it, just a heads up so you won't be caught off guard.

Too late! I've already got the cats Frida, Remedios, and Lucia (Lucy for short), the ferret Ronaldo, and now the puppy Rocio. No one has ever said a word to me about being offended; in fact, this is the first time I've ever heard what you're suggesting in my four years here. Maybe people have been offended and have been too polite to say anything, but in either case, frankly, who cares? I don't go out of my way to offend my hosts, but on the other hand, I NEVER remotely pretend to be one of them, either.

When I talk about my animals to my students, I always say, "Mexican names for Mexican pets," and that has seemed to be received just fine.

My snarky side would point out that my hosts have much, much bigger things to worry about than this gringo's animals. Much!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I think Rocio is a fine name for a small bitch. One of my SIL is named Rocio and she is a BIG beeeccchh. My dogs are named Pikachu, Pichu (Pikachu´s daughter and looks like him only smaller). Bulldog (who is not a bulldog, though), BooBoo, Fidel and Joao, so only two people names. I do have a neighbor named Fidel and he is OK with the name, though his brother gets a little mileage out of it. But I also don´t care much what other people think, either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: