Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private Company Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
haha, I think Rocio is a fine name for a small bitch. One of my SIL is named Rocio and she is a BIG beeeccchh. My dogs are named Pikachu, Pichu (Pikachu´s daughter and looks like him only smaller). Bulldog (who is not a bulldog, though), BooBoo, Fidel and Joao, so only two people names. I do have a neighbor named Fidel and he is OK with the name, though his brother gets a little mileage out of it. But I also don´t care much what other people think, either.

Greatly in agreement. I don't wish to be an insensitive person, but I have never seen the point of caring what other people think, either. What have the vast majority of them ever done for you?

There was a thread last week at the International Schools Review Forum about the appeal of living internationally, and a lot of the discussion centered on freedom. By living abroad you free yourself to a large extent from your own country's manners and mores, but you are not really expected to adopt your host country's manners and mores, either. There is a lot of maneuverability within such a situation!

I rummaged through my memory and recalled hearing one Mexican commenting on names, although not pet names. He said that he took offense when Mexican parents gave their children "non-Mexican" names, such as Brandon. I remember thinking, well, he doesn't have to like it, but on what conceivable grounds would he have any genuine right to an opinion? Naming one's children (or pets, for that matter) is about as personal as it gets.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

the original BadBeagleBad passed away a few months ago

I'm sorry to hear this--it's not easy to lose a good companion. Belated condolences.

MotherF

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
[

FYI there are Mexicans out there who are quite offended by giving pets human names. I'm not suggesting you change it, just a heads up so you won't be caught off guard.

Jeez, I think someone miss read my post!

ETA: bold

Last edited by MotherF on Thu May 21, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Jeez, I think someone miss read my post!

Not "misread, " I think; perhaps the fair word is "reacted." Let's leave it at that.

I proceed under the same assumption in Mexico that I did in Korea: that I might at any time be falling afoul of the society's manners and mores in dozens of ways that I may not know about, and may NEVER know about. But the penalty for me doing so as an international visitor is usually relatively small, and may be invisible to me as well, making it a real "black box" situation. Therefore, I try not to worry about it.

In fact, sometimes I deliberately flout conventional wisdom, because, well, why not. Politeness dictates that I probably should not talk about Mexico's troubles in conversational ESL classes, but I do so all the time, because the subject is INTERESTING, and my students definitely have opinions about it. It generates conversation, which is my goal.

I know that in Korea, many of my students openly expressed admiration for the way that I bulldozed through Korean pieties, partly out of ignorance and partly out of cheekiness. They spent most of their time around people who "toed the line"; it was refreshing for them to interact with someone who didn't. All societies can be suffocating, but interestingly, Koreans seem MUCH more aware of the ways in which their society suffocates them than Americans or Mexicans do.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

FYI there are Mexicans out there who are quite offended by giving pets human names. I'm not suggesting you change it, just a heads up so you won't be caught off guard.

Thank you, MotherF! Whether one chooses to ignore or to conform to a cultural convention, it is helpful to know about it. Knowing what may lie beneath another person's reaction can be a big help to clear communication and understanding.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
Thank you, MotherF! Whether one chooses to ignore or to conform to a cultural convention, it is helpful to know about it. Knowing what may lie beneath another person's reaction can be a big help to clear communication and understanding.

True, that. More knowledge is always better than less knowledge. I am just hypersensitive to criticism, or even the appearance of it, which is one reason that I live abroad, and by myself!

Anyway, the main thing is that the puppy is a TOTAL JOY, even though she of course adds some workload to my life. It is perhaps odd that a moderately OCD person such as myself, sensitive to chaos, should take such consistent comfort in the presence of multiple (now five) animals. What I have figured out is that they introduce just the right level of chaos, stimulating without being annoying, and that their affectionateness outweighs any minor issues. I adore devoted animals, and mine always seem to be devoted, perhaps because I fix a lot of attention on them; I think there's a loop there. My beloved Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd mix, Cooper (1990-2002), crossed the line into somewhat neurotic neediness, and even that didn't faze me, because she was just so lovable and loving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: