Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bogota - tops in my book!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Bogota - tops in my book! Reply with quote

I still prefer Bogota to just about anywhere else in Col. but not for obvious reasons. Growing up in a mid sized city I tend to gravitate towards larger ones, where I can get whatever I want whenever I want it. The climate ain't great, and it takes forever to get across it, but I just can't seem to move my ass out of it. Anybody else agree?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bogota is a bit of a pit. The English teachers I knew all seemed to be rushing across town all the time doing piecemeal work. Okay, if you are at an international school it would be better. But, as a city........................
Cruiser

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
I think Bogota is a bit of a pit........................

I'm thinking of moving to Barranquilla actually. Plenty of action there ...

currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Cali. But, for overall living conditions, I think Medellin and Cartagena would take some beating.
leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Bogota now. I am not contradicting you, but I am curious to hear in more detail what you like about Bogota.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
I am in Bogota now. I am not contradicting you, but I am curious to hear in more detail what you like about Bogota.

Wow! You finally made it. How's the job search going, Leretif?
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
leretif9 wrote:

Wow! You finally made it. How's the job search going, Leretif?

Yes, please tell all! Very Happy

Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all ears as well !!

I like that it's a big city with unlimited opportunities. Endless variety, good transit system, lots of fun folks. Not as friendly as the rest of Colombia, admittedly. I just like these vast S. American cities, I spend hours just roaming them. I liked Santiago for that too ...
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Bogota isn't the "best" city in Colombia, wouldn't it be the most ideal location for a teacher new to Colombia and ESL as a whole?

I'm betting that coastal areas such as Cali would be more of a culture shock if you've never been to Latin America before. But then again, if that's what you're after, then I guess that's not a relevant question.

I really doubt there are many jobs in places like Medellin and Cali, especially for newbies. Might be better to go to Bogota, get some experience for a year, improve your Spanish if it's not already good, and then branch out. Just my opinion though. I may take this very route when I begin my ESL career next year.
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruiser wrote:
I'm all ears as well !!

I like that it's a big city with unlimited opportunities. Endless variety, good transit system, lots of fun folks. Not as friendly as the rest of Colombia, admittedly. I just like these vast S. American cities, I spend hours just roaming them. I liked Santiago for that too ...

I mostly agree with this. I had plenty of quibbles with Bogota, but found it to be the only acceptable place for long-term residence in Colombia. Lots of interesting counter-culture stuff going on there made it interesting as well. Also, plenty of fun places around that are close enough for weekend trips.
General Disarray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was couchsurfing through Colombia last year, stayed at a Colombian girls place;

The 2nd day, an Irish guy in his 30s moved in with his Colombian girlfriend he met in London.

He said after signing on at a recruitment agency he got a job at a local catholic school earning 3million pesos a month. He had never taught English before, had no qualifications and couldn't speak Spanish. I am led to believe that this is quite a good deal?!?

Jammy git, I had a great time in Colombia, I wouldn't be able to handle living in Cartegena though, the humidity was too much for me, I sweat enough as it is, that place....argh

I would love to live in Medellin though, had a great raw feel to the city.

San Gil was my favourite place but I imagine there's not much work there, funny story when I was there. In a bar, I bumped into an English teacher who I worked with 4 years previously on a summer camp in England. Small world!!!

Only travelled through Colombia, I've often thought about importing some of the fruit though to England to start up a juice business. I enjoyed having those fruit juices on a daily basis, nothing in Europe comes close.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the cost of living in Bogota, I think 3 mil pesos per month could afford you a very respectable middle class lifestyle. You could rent a room in a nice apartment (shared place) in Chapinero for 600,000-750,000 pesos per month. There are lots of good restaurants and bars in that area as well.

But yes, my question would be how common is it for a newbie to find a job making 3 mil per month? I've been told not to accept less than 2.5 mil per month or 25,000 pesos per hour of teaching if I decide to go to Bogota to teach English.

What's it like on the ground though?
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PittsburghSound wrote:
Looking at the cost of living in Bogota, I think 3 mil pesos per month could afford you a very respectable middle class lifestyle. You could rent a room in a nice apartment (shared place) in Chapinero for 600,000-750,000 pesos per month. There are lots of good restaurants and bars in that area as well.

But yes, my question would be how common is it for a newbie to find a job making 3 mil per month? I've been told not to accept less than 2.5 mil per month or 25,000 pesos per hour of teaching if I decide to go to Bogota to teach English.

What's it like on the ground though?

With a CELTA, a degree, and some looking around, I'd expect you to get from 1.5 to as much as 2.5 million in a first job. In time, you might be able to bump that up a bit with privates. It took me over three years of very quality experience, Spanish fluency, the above qualifications, and a serious commitment to professional development to land something that paid over 3 million, and at the time I knew people with significantly better qualifications and experience who were still making around 2.5 (think DELTA-qualified/academic management).

Dave's job board currently has three openings in Colombia for minimally qualified/experienced teachers - one pays 1.5 million, another pays 2 million, and another pays 1.5 million with room and partial board.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I see.

Here's an interesting thought. Would it be seen as overbearing if someone were to politely ask to teach one class for free so that the management/students could see your teaching skills first hand rather than assume you can't teach since you're not "qualified" ?Not just in Colombia, but anywhere.

Manager: Do you have a CELTA?
Person: No, I do not. But if it's not too much to ask, could I please try an audition class? I could teach one free class so that you will see what I can do. What do you think?

I think it might be worth a shot. At the very least it would help you come across and confident.
iggyiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how far does 1.5 mil go in bogota these days? what would you recommend as a minimum amount to be making per month to have a reasonable lifestyle? im not trying to be carlos slim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: