Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sur College of Applied Sciences
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I detect a hint of sarcasm?? Laughing

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so the Omani discussion board enters its annual cyclical phase of potential new arrivals asking questions about the MOM and MOHE colleges and/or the recruiters that supply the labour. I get the impression often that 1] these potential new teachers haven't actually searched the forum and read previous discussions, many of which are only 1-2 years old....2] have already made up their minds to come and are only interested in reading the 'positives' about a college/ location. In effect they are looking for soothing words to reinforce a decision that they have already made! When those that have been here for a year or two, or possibly longer, pass on information about the difficulties of the colleges and/or students + the challenges of living in the hinterlands they largely ignore or respond with- 'oh yes, well when I was in....blah, blah' Makes me wonder why they bother asking questions in the first place! Mad
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true Tazz!

Makes me wonder why I should bother contributing.

Whatever Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Whatever will be on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
And so the Omani discussion board enters its annual cyclical phase of potential new arrivals asking questions about the MOM and MOHE colleges and/or the recruiters that supply the labour. I get the impression often that 1] these potential new teachers haven't actually searched the forum and read previous discussions, many of which are only 1-2 years old....2] have already made up their minds to come and are only interested in reading the 'positives' about a college/ location. In effect they are looking for soothing words to reinforce a decision that they have already made! When those that have been here for a year or two, or possibly longer, pass on information about the difficulties of the colleges and/or students + the challenges of living in the hinterlands they largely ignore or respond with- 'oh yes, well when I was in....blah, blah' Makes me wonder why they bother asking questions in the first place! Mad

This! Exactly this.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the "postive" posters here, I have always presented these jobs as what they are... a way to get a toehold in the Gulf for those who are smart enough to know that they can't hack Saudi Arabia. If one has the maturity to deal with the crap for a contract or two, your CV might help you find something better at the next TESOLArabia... or one can try another part of the world if one can't hack it.

It is a paycheck... of which most can save a significant amount... if one can tolerate the negatives. There is only one place that I can recommend and that is SQU, and even it has housing issues since it has become so large. But it is too competitive for most applicants.

Anyone who has worked in the Gulf knows that there are those members of the faculty who do nothing but whinge about every single thing and are likely the type that will never be happy anywhere, while other just get on with the job and decide whether they can find something better... or not.

The cyclical nature of negative versus positive... and newbies trying to find someone who will support their hopes and/or misconceptions is true of every branch of this board. It is human nature...

VS
smokesignals

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear, hear, VS! Absolutely agree with you. The job market has become so much more competitive now in terms of getting a job in Oman, which was not the case 8 years back (IMOHO).

If the salary figure is the main attraction, and you are flexible enough to expect a possible amount of disruption and unfamiliarity, and to "go with the flow", especially in the first few months, you can still reap good financial rewards in Oman. Go for it, and save the rials.

Just don't expect the time to pass particularly quickly in Sur, unless you are self reliant (eg have good broadband, a hobby, are studying), because there is not much to do there. It is ok for a day trip, but having lived there previously, the minus point is it can sometimes be a desperate, hot, dusty, windy truck stop. However, it does have a quaint harbour area, a couple of faded hotels to swim at, and some beautiful beaches Plus, the road to Muscat is good, hence, for me, a car was essential. I guess you just have to search for the beauty, and keep a positive frame of mind. Sur is OK.

Oman is still the nicest place in the Gulf to live and work, and the most beautiful. The Emirates and Qatar (IMOHO) and experience, have wonderful, shimmering cities, full of hotels with manicured gardens, but once you leave those, you face vast swathes of ugly construction, and endless highways through dusty, featureless desert. In those 2 countries, the sheer amount of immigrant labour from the Indian sub-continent, and the working conditions they endure, can be daunting and upsetting. At least in Oman, Omanis still make up a major part of the population, and yes, they are genuinely friendly people, with whom you can interact with, and form friendships.

I can't comment on other Gulf countries, other than those mentioned, but I can personally recommend working in Oman, and that Sur is OK!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sur is one of the quietest and most boring places to teach in Oh Man and the main attraction of the beaches is sand...and sand...and MORE sand......Oh Man I forgot seashells too!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
David S

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Contact serving teachers directly Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:

I have scoured these boards with various search terms.

I have also checked the websites of various Technology Colleges and Colleges of Applied Sciences. On many of them there is a staff list with email addresses so i emeiled a couple from each and got a few very helpful replies.

Things can be very fluid. Colleges can go in cycles, just like British schools. A good school and start slipping for a few years and need a kick up the ass.

I was told by an Ibri TC teacher that the HOD in neighbouring Ibri CAS was pretty bad but that he was being transferred to Rustaq. The replacement in Ibri though was just as bad.

Contacting people directly is the best way, if you're diplomatic about it and frame your questions constructively.

For my part, I preferred to apply to Hawthorn and the CAS. Slightly more holidays, fewer lessons (some in Saudi advertise 5-6 50-min. lessons a day). I'd prefer a lighter timetable and do some part-time study or top up my income with a little online proofreading. If you've got a light timetable and you have restricted office hours, it's better to have the flexibility of doing something you want or are interested in.
flow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work at the Colleges of Applied Sciences in Ibri. Left them in March 2016 for much better pay and conditions in Qatar. I do concur, the new HOD at CAS Ibri is truly a nightmare to work for, all she's done since becoming HOD was sending out badly written offensive and disrespectful emails to her teachers. Micro-managing each and everyone of us, watching everyone all the time - zero trust like I have never seen anywhere before. Did nothing to foster a greater working atmosphere in the department which was what most of us were hoping for - in fact, she made things a lot worse for students as well as teachers. Very sad as the students weren't that bad actually...
Colombo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Emails from the CAS Ibri HoD Reply with quote

Right on Flow. A pal of mine copied & pasted those above mentioned emails & sent them to me for a laugh. However after awhile it struck me that never in far too many years doing this type of work (even in the Korean hogwans of the 1990s) had I ever read such openly contemptuous vitriol. I can only assume she regards those unfortunate language instructors at Ibri no differently than all the other indentured workers in the Sultanate.
thecoolteacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Applied Sciences in Nizwa? Al Nawa Management? Reply with quote

Any past experiences with Al Nawa the recruiting company or

CAS Nizwa?

I am scheduled to live in the Nizwa Hotel Apartments across the street from the university. Just a short walk to work every day, so no need for a car right away.

Also, the Nizwa Hotel Apartments looks like a good deal- 2 bedroom for wife and 2 dependents.

Any comments on CAS Nizwa or Al Nawa Management?

Thanks!
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on the '20 teachers sacked in Ibri thread you will find out about the CAS's in general and Al Nawa who have taken over the tender from hawthorne.

I was interviewed a few Sundays ago by Al Nawa and they said they'd inform me at the end of the day - still waiting and that's four weeks ago.

May I ask when you found out?

Am waiting for admin. and visa clearance for BAE in Saudi. At least there accomm. is provided and arranged in advance. Word has it that Al nawa will find a hotel for the first week, let you look for accom. and then deduct the hotel charges from the first salary. At least hawthorne had their own accommodation. Hope you've checked the new tender contract for holidays - used to be a generous 55 now, half of that is lost (even though the students are away for ca. 55 days now for half of those days you have to turn up at the office. You can still take your holidays up to 55 days - you just lose pay now.

Nizwa is quite a good location compared to other 'out in the sticks' places like Rustaq, Ibri etc. Rustaq, I think was ranked 41/41 for all institutions in 2013 and I didn;t even make it there.
Roses189

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working in the CAS colleges is a different experience in each college. I have friends in Nizwa who are quite happy there. At my CAS we have a good team and are happy at work overall and we are all returning to work under Al Nawa because of this. As for Al Nawa, being new we don't really know what will happen. We used to get 60 days leave and are assured that we will get all college declared holidays now. There is no indication we will have to pay for leave. In my town Al Nawa has just leased a brand new building for the teachers to live in and it's top quality. A positive start at least. I like Oman, I like the town I live in and I really enjoy my job and my students. When I first came I was told a lot of negative information about the college, the teachers, the students, the town and Hawthorne. But having been in the Middle East before I knew to just wait and see. Things change but reputations stick. If Al Nawa lives up to its reputation they will be recruiting again very soon.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They already are....to replace the non returnees [today] at both MOM and MOHE colleges that got screwed with their flight money during the summer and decided enough was enough.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roses

You seem to have changed your mind about Ibri (if you're at Ibri - maybe my memory is a little pickled).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: