Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community College of Qatar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I misunderstood. If you've seen the details of the contract then, as VS and Nomad say, it should be OK. CCQ are a large organisation and not a fly-by-night operation. I thought you hadn't seen any details of the contract.

As an aside, life in the Gulf is different from the West. You'll have to get used to these 'quirks'....but most people do manage.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad,

My issue is simply to be reassured that what is stated in the proposal will be stated in the contract. I was thinking worse case scenario. Sure, this isn’t good, but it’s necessary.

Yorks,

I saw the proposal and I haven’t seen the contract. However, I’ve found someone who has worked there and hopefully they can - just like you and others have - fill me in on what to expect.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
Let me ask you this though. What would happen if you get over there with the standard offer letter, you see the contract and it isn't to your liking and you want to reject it, what happens? Are you gonna be on the hook to pay your way back or will they?

As long as the information provided in the offer letter are met, I would sign and stay. The rest of the contract is usually rather unimportant IMHO.

And if you don't like something and choose to go, it will be on your own dime, of course.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
My issue is simply to be reassured that what is stated in the proposal will be stated in the contract. I was thinking worse case scenario. Sure, this isn’t good, but it’s necessary.

Chillax. Don't overthink this. A written job offer or preliminary contract for employment is typical for many countries (including the US, which can even be verbal). It states the employer's proposed conditions of employment. For Qatar, you'd be covered per the country's labor law. You are not considered a valid, legal employee until you land in country with a proper visa in hand and both you and CCQ's rep sign the employment agreement.

Hemlock32 wrote:
I saw the proposal and I haven’t seen the contract. However, I’ve found someone who has worked there and hopefully they can - just like you and others have - fill me in on what to expect.

I suspect your concerns are more about the quality of work/life in Qatar and the Middle East in general. Like VS, I've lived/worked in various countries in the region with my last stint in a war zone. Those expats who do best in the Mid East have an open mind, low (i.e., realistic) expectations, a lot of patience, and a sense of humor.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad,

I'm starting to cool off now. I spoke with someone who used to work over there, and she said it was the best job she ever had.

Now, I'm working on my diplomas...To authenticate them it's gonna run me over a grand, maybe two. Sad

You gotta pay to play. Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
CCQ has told me this verbatim: "All Education degrees should be authenticated by your University, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Embassy of Qatar in the country that issued the degrees. Then, in Qatar, you will need to attest them from the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Qatar."

Now, I'm working on my diplomas...To authenticate them it's gonna run me over a grand, maybe two.

Those costs are high. In fact, usually only your highest relevant degree needs to be authenticated. That would be the degree that meets the requirement per the job ad (e.g., an MA TESOL). Check with that former CCQ teacher and your HR contact to confirm if "education degrees" refers to education-related degrees or to all of your university degrees. Always ask for clarification.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'm working on my diplomas...To authenticate them it's gonna run me over a grand, maybe two. [/quote]
Those costs are high. In fact, usually only your highest relevant degree needs to be authenticated. That would be the degree that meets the requirement per the job ad (e.g., an MA TESOL). Check with that former CCQ teacher and your HR contact to confirm if "education degrees" refers to education-related degrees or to all of your university degrees. Always ask for clarification.[/quote]

I am using this website:

http://www.washingtondcapostille.com/qatar-legalization/

I talked to someone on the phone today and they sent me back a quote of how much it'll all cost. I haven't had time to look at other companies, but right now im just getting things notarized and waiting for the background check.

Question: Before your start date in Saudi, when did the employer notify you of the flight itinerary/date? I'm supposed to start on the 26th of August and I would assume...1 or 2 weeks advance notice?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
Question: Before your start date in Saudi, when did the employer notify you of the flight itinerary/date? I'm supposed to start on the 26th of August and I would assume...1 or 2 weeks advance notice?

KSA has a very different visa process. Plus, the Saudi government's administrative office in Washington DC processed my degree authentication and visa app for me. They also scheduled my flight once I had my visa in hand. I got to choose the flight and departure date and was on the plane a couple of days after receiving my visa.

That said... I also got a jump on the visa process by getting my diploma paperwork together and criminal background report requested prior to my interview in anticipation of receiving an offer. Doing the lengthier visa requirements upfront helped me avoid using expediters.

When you submit your passport and documentation for your visa, email your CCQ HR contact person. Send another message as soon as you have your visa in hand so that they can arrange your flight. Ideally, you'll want to get to Doha days before 8/26 in order to adjust to jet lag, the humidity and 100+ degree heat, get your bearings, and settle in. (Probably landing during Eid al-Adha.) Keep in mind others new to Qatar and CCQ will be arriving as well, so you won't be the only person dealing with culture shock. Wink
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock,

Qataris are masters at not confirming the departure date and then saying, "Can you come tomorrow?"

If they need you for the beginning of September (or end of August), then just prepare for that date. Keep checking but don't expect a definite date until late in the day.

By the way - you're ahead of me. My company wants me to start at the end of August - and I still haven't got details of the contract yet. (Though I have heard from a third party that I've been appointed).

Welcome to the Gulf Rolling Eyes
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what would happen if you didn't get all your ducks in a row before your potential start date? I´m pretty sure I´m moving smoothly now, but just in case.

Maybe you could still fly and have your documents sent first class to the country? Get them by the end of that week...

Just thinking of options...

Confused
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorks Lad wrote:
Hemlock,

Qataris are masters at not confirming the departure date and then saying, "Can you come tomorrow?"

If they need you for the beginning of September (or end of August), then just prepare for that date. Keep checking but don't expect a definite date until late in the day.

By the way - you're ahead of me. My company wants me to start at the end of August - and I still haven't got details of the contract yet. (Though I have heard from a third party that I've been appointed).

Welcome to the Gulf Rolling Eyes

Where are you going to work Yorks?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
Does anyone know what would happen if you didn't get all your ducks in a row before your potential start date?

That's a question to pose to your CCQ HR person. The college may or may not be flexible in regard to start date.

Your job offer was nearly 20 days ago. Unfortunately, you lost valuable time asking forum readers about cultural stuff, housing quality, etc., and pushing HR about getting a contract. The requirements for work visas in the Gulf are stringent and some processes can be lengthy. Procrastination can be costly for job candidates who don't jump on day one to get things ready for their visa application.

and wrote:
Maybe you could still fly and have your documents sent first class to the country?

Nope. You can't have your documents sent to Qatar after you've arrived. Without those docs, you can't get approved for a work visa in order to enter the country for employment purposes. Plus, your passport, which you'd need in hand to depart the States, would likely be at the consulate's office in the US waiting for a visa to be slapped into it.
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock,

It's Qatar Finance and Business Academy (QFBA) who are just starting to offer UK degrees this year. I got the job as I'm currently teaching on the same programme in the UK. My name (and picture) is in the module handbook for the new students in Doha but still no sign of the contract. Apparently it's now being checked by their legal department.... Rolling Eyes

Once you get your documents sorted, it's just a question of waiting. It's certainly not unheard of for people to start late because of visa issues etc. I think what's important is to keep HR in the loop so they know where you are with the process (and they don't assume you've just gone somewhere else instead). Good luck!

YL.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Hemlock32 wrote:
Does anyone know what would happen if you didn't get all your ducks in a row before your potential start date?

That's a question to pose to your CCQ HR person. The college may or may not be flexible in regard to start date.

Your job offer was nearly 20 days ago. Unfortunately, you lost valuable time asking forum readers about cultural stuff, housing quality, etc., and pushing HR about getting a contract. The requirements for work visas in the Gulf are stringent and some processes can be lengthy. Procrastination can be costly for job candidates who don't jump on day one to get things ready for their visa application.

and wrote:
Maybe you could still fly and have your documents sent first class to the country?

Nope. You can't have your documents sent to Qatar after you've arrived. Without those docs, you can't get approved for a work visa in order to enter the country for employment purposes. Plus, your passport, which you'd need in hand to depart the States, would likely be at the consulate's office in the US waiting for a visa to be slapped into it.

Nomad,

I got all my ducks in a row. I was just asking. I’m ahead of the game with a notarized copy of my MA and background check in hand. You sound a bit condescending but thats fine. Do you get paid to respond to these or do you just do it for fun?
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorks Lad wrote:
Hemlock,

It's Qatar Finance and Business Academy (QFBA) who are just starting to offer UK degrees this year. I got the job as I'm currently teaching on the same programme in the UK. My name (and picture) is in the module handbook for the new students in Doha but still no sign of the contract. Apparently it's now being checked by their legal department.... Rolling Eyes

Once you get your documents sorted, it's just a question of waiting. It's certainly not unheard of for people to start late because of visa issues etc. I think what's important is to keep HR in the loop so they know where you are with the process (and they don't assume you've just gone somewhere else instead). Good luck!

YL.

Yorks,

I’ll see you in the gulf! I’m bringing my sun block! SPF 100!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: