Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the truth about working in Warsaw?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Absolutely sound advice.

It has been in decline since the 90s. Meanwhile, Poland has become expensive.

It's a huge gamble.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a gamble with no chance of winning. If he "wins", he's stuck in a poor country earning a poor salary by international standards. 20 years from now he will regret making this decision. His savings will be little in terms of US dollars. He probably won't have a pension. His earnings will remain the same unless he strikes gold with a rich client. Like everyone says, wages are flat and competition higher. He will be swimming in shallow water.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, chuckMC, what you're missing is that you don't really know how Poland works. All you're looking at is "oh, you can possibly earn much more in the West" without even thinking about the real cost of living there.

In Poland, as long as you've got healthcare, no-one is going to attempt to hit you with huge bills, nor will you have to struggle with insurance companies that will do absolutely everything in their power to refuse to pay.

In Poland, you don't have the problem of school districts being funded entirely locally, so the level of teaching in Wielkopolskie is exactly the same as in Swiętokrzyskie.

In Poland, you don't have such massive inequalities - even so-called "bad" areas such as Praga in Warsaw are really nothing compared to the slums of America, the UK or France.

More to the point, if you actually speak Polish, you can see what's available out there. Your perceptions are entirely based upon a very limited world view with no real concept of what happens beyond your small town, let alone the whole country.

Poland is full of opportunity, but it won't come to those teaching Callan in Ciemnogród.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
You need some reading lessons shake. If I made 200/hour in 97 and people make 100 now, go figure. Worked in Poland for 3 months end of 2014. Lived there on and off for 2 decades.
My reading skills are just fine, thanks. But you don't seem to have a very firm grasp of logic.

If your 200zl/hr gig was a "lucky break" as you put it, you can't use this one fluke to justify that rates overall have gone down. We all get lucky from time to time, doesn't mean it's representative of a decreasing trend.

On the other hand, I know over a dozen qualified teachers who charge 80zl and up for privates in Warsaw. Just have a look on [urlhttp://www.nativespeaker.com.pl/[/url] as well and you'll see what the current rates are.

Much more useful than some ancient, sketchy, ego-boosting nonsense. Not that anyone would ever post anything like that on this forum.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

My profile was on NS.com. I advertised at 70/hour. Had about 30-40 hits. Only one was willing to come to my place and only that one was willing to pay 70/hour. I had more experience than anyone on the website. Between October 2014 and January 2015, I was in Poznan. I went to 20 interviews. All told me my 70PLN/hour was way too much. I ended up working 10 hours a week to keep busy.

Poland isn't cheap now. I'm in the UAE where electricals, jewellery, clothes, petrol, cigarettes, free medical insurance, using a phone and taxis are way cheaper than Poland. Food and beer from the shop are about the same. Only rent is high but we earn 10 times what a wage in Poland is and I have free digs and food on a camp, which is like a resort.

I have a house in Poland and the plan is to have 2 or 3 flats in the next 10 years and then retire at 55 mortgage free.

So enjoy working yourself into the grave. I only work 4 days a week and the wife and I are loving the beach life.

I must be daft.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
You need some reading lessons shake. If I made 200/hour in 97 and people make 100 now, go figure. Worked in Poland for 3 months end of 2014. Lived there on and off for 2 decades.

That was in the old Polish money correct? :-p
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonpiwo, tut tut...using a phone is most definitely not cheaper in the UAE. I just checked and the prices are coming in at around 300AED (which is more or less 1-1 with the PLN) for anything resembling a decent plan.

My Orange phone here is 89zl a month for unlimited calls and text messages to all networks and landlines in Poland, along with 2GB of data. Contract, of course. If I stayed on Plus, I could have the same plus unlimited LTE data, but their choice of phones is shockingly bad.

Beer as well... come on, I asked a friend in Abu Dhabi, and he said that 25-30AED is about normal.

Some stuff will obviously be much cheaper due to the lack of VAT/excise tax or subsidies such as petrol. But when you find figures such as 300AED for internet access (!) when I've got a decent 60mb cable connection for 60PLN - well... come on.

Electronics - I've just looked at phones, and they're actually slightly more expensive there.

Other things will be cheaper, sure - petrol especially. Not sure I'd quite like to drive there though...

I have a friend living out there that put it quite well - he regards the place as a fantastic place to save money for a few years, but it's a dreadful place to raise a family due to the astronomical costs of schooling. In your situation, the UAE makes perfect sense - but it might not make sense for others.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer in a shop not a hotel Delph. The i-phone 6 is half the price here.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: back to the op Reply with quote

Back to the op. It will be hard and money will be tight. Perhaps, not all of the time, but some/a lot of the time.

Poland is a nice place for a couple of years, especially in the summer. Ignore us lot and go and see for yourself. If it doesn't work out, go elsewhere.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: my two cents Reply with quote

There is a reason why MILLIONS of Poles go abroad. And there is a reason why there are so few foreigners in Polska.Yes there are opportunities here, but the rewards are limited due to low salaries (by international standards). Dragonpiwo, don't encourage the op to try and "suss it out." If he is not doing this for a year or two for fun and diversion then he will be unfulfilled and depressed five years from now.

As Expats, we only like to think of the positives of our host countries. We often live in big cities where we see only the glitz and glamour. But when you talk to normal people in towns and villages, you witness the harsh realities of polish life. I laughed when Dragonpiwo and Delph compared prices of their respective countries. Delph, most people in Poland only make $600 a month. In UAE, ESL teachers save a boat load of real money by the end of the year. Whereas in Poland, an ESL teacher will be lucky to save a few thousand dollars at the end of the year.

I don't know what else to say to the OP. Dude, talk to people about your plans. Talk to your parents, talk to honest people; not people who will blow smoke up your arse to make you feel good.

English teachers have a poor reputation in Poland. People will look down on you. They will ask: "what else do you do besides teaching?", or "why are you not a teacher back home?", or "why the hell do you want to live in Poland?"

These are just some of the questions that will be thrown your way. Polish people are suspicious of foreigners because Poland offers very little compared to Western countries. Low salaries, limited career advancement, below average university system, high unemployment, highly bureaucratic, and lower living standards. Poles say: "why Poland?"

When I visit Sweden, I feel like I have fast forward 50 years into the future. Everything is light years ahead of Poland. Why would you live and raise a family in such a backward country like Poland?

I don't know what else to say. My advice to the OP: Do it for a year for fun and diversion then go back home and make real money and have a real life.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo - http://store.apple.com/ae/buy-iphone/iphone6 and http://store.apple.com/pl/iphone - not really half the price, but a bit cheaper. The lack of VAT is your answer there Wink

Quote:
There is a reason why MILLIONS of Poles go abroad. And there is a reason why there are so few foreigners in Polska.Yes there are opportunities here, but the rewards are limited due to low salaries (by international standards). Dragonpiwo, don't encourage the op to try and "suss it out." If he is not doing this for a year or two for fun and diversion then he will be unfulfilled and depressed five years from now.

I still can't figure out what makes you such an expert after a few months in the country. Anyone would be depressed and miserable after a year of teaching Callan in Ciemnógrod without speaking the language, I agree.

Quote:
As Expats, we only like to think of the positives of our host countries. We often live in big cities where we see only the glitz and glamour. But when you talk to normal people in towns and villages, you witness the harsh realities of polish life. I laughed when Dragonpiwo and Delph compared prices of their respective countries. Delph, most people in Poland only make $600 a month. In UAE, ESL teachers save a boat load of real money by the end of the year. Whereas in Poland, an ESL teacher will be lucky to save a few thousand dollars at the end of the year.

But you have to live in the UAE, which doesn't appeal to everyone. For all your rants about "being taken seriously", everyone knows that most teachers in the ME are treated rather as something disposable. For someone who knows the score like dragonpiwo, it will be fine - but there are plenty of horror stories on the UAE forum here too.

Quote:
English teachers have a poor reputation in Poland. People will look down on you. They will ask: "what else do you do besides teaching?", or "why are you not a teacher back home?", or "why the hell do you want to live in Poland?"

No, Callan teachers in Ciemnógrod have a bad reputation. Those of us that take our profession seriously are treated like serious professionals. Then again, we go to conferences, we publish papers and we get paid to sit at home and do nothing during the endless holidays. You haven't got a clue about this sort of thing because you teach in the lowest of the low - a Callan school in Polska B.

Quote:
These are just some of the questions that will be thrown your way. Polish people are suspicious of foreigners because Poland offers very little compared to Western countries. Low salaries, limited career advancement, below average university system, high unemployment, highly bureaucratic, and lower living standards. Poles say: "why Poland?"

Oh dear. You really need to get out of that small town. Tell you what - come over to Poznań and I'll introduce you to many foreigners that have successful businesses here. You won't find these people in Ciemnógrod because they don't want anything to do with small towns in Polska B, and nor should you if you want to have anything resembling a life.

Quote:
When I visit Sweden, I feel like I have fast forward 50 years into the future. Everything is light years ahead of Poland. Why would you live and raise a family in such a backward country like Poland?

Visited certain suburbs of Stockholm recently?

Let's be honest : you've worked in Ciemnógrod for a few months. That doesn't make you an expert on Poland or in fact anything in Europe. Those experiences in a small town - the bitterness, the resentment - it's the reason why those towns are empty. Try coming to Poznań, Warsaw, Szczecin, Wrocław or the Trójmiasto. You'll find these places to be full of energy and young people with ideas.

Sure, Callan teachers are seen as complete jokes in Poland, but they're also seen as a complete joke in the world.

Oh, and don't forget the vital thing - Poles appreciate qualifications, and an American with a BA in some random bollocks isn't going to impress them.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
chuckMC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delph, I know it makes you feel better to put me down. That's fine with me. But what I am saying is the consensus in Poland. By the way, I work in a small town but I live in Bielsko Biala, which is not some Ciemnógrod. I talk to young people here and in other cities. Yes they have energy and ambition, but many them are seriously thinking about going abroad to be able to achieve that high standard of living that Westerners enjoy. I spoke to a scientist in Bielsko and she said that her friends in Ireland enjoyed and MUCH higher standard of living. She was jealous of them. This is the reality, you can try to push it aside; that's fine with me, but this is the ugly side of Poland.

Like I said before, many Expats come to the big cities to live a dream life of partying and goofing around. They never see the ugly side of Poland. Delph, if you are happy living in Poland than that is fine with me. But I am just trying to advise newcomers on the realities of Poland. What I am saying is what they will be told by other polish people. I have met so many Poles in Warsaw, Wroclaw, Krakow, Katowice, Bielsko, and in small villages. I have experienced Poland from every level of society.

I once had a lesson at a gymnasium school in a small village. I asked the students if they planned on staying in Poland. 1/3 of the class said they wanted to work abroad. WOW, 1/3!! This is the harsh truth. The young and ambitious are always thinking of whether to stay or leave Poland. The choice they have is earning 4,000 PLN or 4,000 euros. Unfortunately, many do choose to leave. There are statistics that show that 20% of the workforce will disappear over the next 20 years.

Another thing I want to tell the OP, is about the future of his children. Does he and his wife really want to raise their kids in such a poor EU country with high unemployment and fewer opportunities than Western countries? Their kids will face the same problem that Polish youth face. They will ask themselves if they should leave Poland for higher salaries and standard of living. Being born in a rich country is a blessing. You don't have to have a great paying job to have a good material life. Life in Poland is tough in the long run.

Think hard about this, Jb1980!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Something doesn't add up Reply with quote

Nice, comprehensive reply, delph. You spent a lot more time replying to that guy than I have the patience to.

I gotta tell you though, something about chuckMC's situation doesn't add up.

1. He's an inexperienced teacher teaching at a Callan school off in some village, yet somehow making 4000zl/month (quote a lot, considering the situation).

2. He thinks Poland is a poor 'loser' country, yet he would like to work in Wroclaw next academic year.

3. He's only been in Poland a short while, but he's build up a deep-seated resentment of the place as though he's lived there a lifetime.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was an alias for someone else. Perhaps another sharter doppelganger?
chuckMC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Shake. I am who I am. Smile Working in a small town gives you benefit of there being no competition. I make 30zl per hour, but average around 35 lessons per week. Do the math, that's around 4k a month. I have some privates too, which boosts my income some more. By the way, I still feel poor. The prices in the electrical and clothing stores will shock you. I will you be staring at products more expensive than they are in the West. Yet, your salary will only be a fraction of a typical Western salary. Crazy, huh!!

Poland is a "loser" country in regards to the game of global economics. Its wage level is low compared to the West. Monthly wages stand at 900 USD. Poland is actually a pretty cool country; nice women, food, culture, beer, party scene, cities, nature, religiosity, family values, etc. But the money sucks here and EVERYONE knows it. As my Polish friend said, Poles love Poland, but the poor economic situation makes them contemplate leaving.

Last edited by chuckMC on Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: