Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher training in Kelantan with Brighton Group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Teacher training in Kelantan with Brighton Group Reply with quote

I just had a really good interview for a teacher training position in Kelantan (up north, near the Thai border).

Everything seems legit, with loads of perks (decent salary, housing, vehicle, cell, healthcare, plenty holidays, bonus, 12 months paid, airfare).

Job is Monday to Friday 7.30-1.30, training up local teachers.

Location: Kelantan (state/province) - which I read is pretty rural and 97% Malay Muslim. Which brings me to my issues: would I bored stiff, isolated and celibate for a year?

I'm 37, looking to meet a lass and settle down. Is that not going to happen in this part of Malaysia?
tpm11260

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Also Interviewed Reply with quote

I also had an interview with Brighton for up-skilling teachers in Malaysia. I was told that the job would be to deliver 6 hours of workshops per day x 4 days a week. I was also told that the location would only be confirmed upon arrival in the country.

A friend worked on the programme with another provider in the past and said the biggest issue she faced was isolation.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Actually there are four provinces in which they have positions. They are:

1. Johor
2. Pahang
3. Terrenganu
4. Kelentan

Reading up on these provinces it seems Johor is the most suitable. Kelentan seems to have a 95%+ Malay Muslim population, and as a single male looking to find a mate and settle down, this might be an issue.

All of those provinces are up north or on the East coast.

The benefits are good, and the salary is reasonable.

My other option is to return to the city I lived in, in China, but I'm a bit burnt out on that particular city, and China in general.

I don't mind living in a quiet town, but I DO want a social life. I will have a car, so I could head out to bigger cities for weekend trips. I'm also happy to read, exercise, study online, watch TV, learn the local language etc in the week, but ultra-isolation could be a problem, and I would like to live amongst a mix of ethnic groups.
tpm11260

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Update? Reply with quote

Would be interested to know how you are getting on in Malaysia. I am still waiting for a final confirmation from Brighton.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Update? Reply with quote

tpm11260 wrote:
Would be interested to know how you are getting on in Malaysia. I am still waiting for a final confirmation from Brighton.

The two recruiters who contacted me went dead on me. They are Breda at Chase Resourcing and Kieran O'Sullivan.

Since the programme is meant to start September 1st, and I interviewed with them six weeks and three weeks ago, respectively, I don't think it's going to happen (through them at least).

Kieran told me his go-to man at Brighton had died of a heart attack, and that I should be patient. That was a month ago.

Try to contact Brighton directly, and cut out the useless recruiters.
Chiselpoint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieran told me his go-to man at Brighton had died of a heart attack, and that I should be patient. That was a month ago.

This did happen, sadly. I'm sure it's made a mess of everything. Out of curiosity, what position are you guys applying for? If the upskilling, when are they telling you you might start?

Either way, I would just apply though Brighton's website.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Actually there are four provinces in which they have positions. They are:

1. Johor
2. Pahang
3. Terrenganu
4. Kelentan

Reading up on these provinces it seems Johor is the most suitable. Kelentan seems to have a 95%+ Malay Muslim population, and as a single male looking to find a mate and settle down, this might be an issue.

All of those provinces are up north or on the East coast.

I don't mind living in a quiet town, but I DO want a social life. I will have a car, so I could head out to bigger cities for weekend trips. I'm also happy to read, exercise, study online, watch TV, learn the local language etc in the week, but ultra-isolation could be a problem, and I would like to live amongst a mix of ethnic groups.

Do you know what town in Kelantan you would be posted? Or do you have to visit multiple village schools for training?

I spent 17 years in Malaysia, of which 12 were on the east coast in the capital of Pahang (Kuantan). I know those small towns fairly well. Most have some Chinese shops that do sell pork and beer, but yeah night life will be limited to sitting in one of those little shops or taking a Chinese lady to the cinema.

Hopefully if you are posted to Kelantan (your last post was 2 months back), you can live in Kota Baru which would have more options. You just need to seek out the Tamil and Chinese parts of the city for food and entertainment.
Blackbear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone PM me with the specific address of the Brighton Group? Do they have a nationality and age preference? TIA.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine did this job and he really enjoyed it. He mixed in well with the local community in the north, and enjoyed running around helping and aiding local teachers. One of his best jobs, apparently.
Blackbear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbear wrote:
Could someone PM me with the specific address of the Brighton Group? Do they have a nationality and age preference? TIA.

BUMP. No PMs nor any public info about contacting Brighton Group - yet Sad
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the owner and the managing director both died within months of each other. The company is in a bit of turmoil and the Chinese wife might grab it and who knows how it will all turn out. Maybe people on the ground can keep us posted..
Knedliki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try looking on the Internet for about thirty seconds!

http://www.brightoneducation.org/index2.php?id=69&type=1
Blackbear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a google search for "Brighton Group" as the name was identified, twice, and found sites that had nothing to do with teaching in Malaysia. Thanks for the link- although I have not checked it out, I trust that your information is credible and "on course". Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: