Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Related Qualifications in General and for Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
Are any of ever going to answer the question of why you are posting on this board?

You have no experience working in VN or SE Asia. Anyone with an online degree can understand that getting a cert to teach adults for a country that most jobs are for children is just plain stupid.

So why?

You just enjoy the puerile banter between yourselves?

It's pretty obvious no one else posts here because they don't want to get caught up in this infantile nonsense.

But you go girls.

Your witty, clever banter is so... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Your bullheaded insistence that the Celta is only for adults is just one a several instances where you display your ignorance on the matter. If you would stop being stubborn and held a teachable attitude yoy could actually improve yourself.

You likely have a lot of experience with life in Vietnam which could be useful to others, but you sort of discredit yourself as a source of reliable information to anyone who reads the nonsense you spout in these threads.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, for example:

"Do you believe in the multiverse theory? You need to check which one you actually live in. The VN has hundreds of posters. Only 3 have posted in this thread. The Universe that everyone who actually work in VN have posted that I (who actually work here) know less than all of you (who have never worked here) is on your left. It sure ain't this one."

Need to be from a parallel universe to begin to parse it...
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some Universe (Far, Far Away), that makes perfect sense, Sasha.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
You likely have a lot of experience with life in Vietnam which could be useful to others, but you sort of discredit yourself as a source of reliable information to anyone who reads the nonsense you spout in these threads.

This.
kellrobinson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet sucks, don't it.
I was pretty happy when I found this thread. But on page two the people started arguing. I skipped ahead, and they're still arguing.
Just so that I don't have to go back and read through the intervening contributions, was there anything substantive being discussed?

I just landed in Saigon yesterday. Complete newb.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellrobinson wrote:
I was pretty happy when I found this thread. But on page two the people started arguing. I skipped ahead, and they're still arguing.
Just so that I don't have to go back and read through the intervening contributions, was there anything substantive being discussed?

Everything you need to know is on the first page.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how things go! Smile
kellrobinson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellrobinson wrote:

To work legally in VN you need a bachelors degree and a TEFL cert. Any Tefl cert. An online cert for $180 or an online cert from a university such as York University in Canada, or an onsite course with a teaching practicum offered by many pseudo international schools here.

The argument is about people who have never taught in VN taking offence to the reality that paying for a cert to teach adults (CELTA) is demonstrably stupid when virtually all the jobs here are for teaching children, along with the fact that there are plenty of onsite TEFL certs where you'll teach children.

Oh yeah, some people take offence to the fact that a google search can yield results. Or maybe it's simply that Google exists? Can't quite figure out what the google sarcasm is about. Nor do I care.

Check out Linked In if serious. No anonymous posting or puerile bashing there. Just a huge number of posts, clubs and threads that absolutely dwarf this VN board. Good, solid, serious advice.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To work legally in VN you need a bachelors degree and a TEFL cert. Any Tefl cert. An online cert for $180 or an online cert from a university such as York University in Canada, or an onsite course with a teaching practicum offered by many pseudo international schools here.

The other posters here who have worked in Vietnam long-term disagree with VietCanada that any old online cert is sufficient to get you anything other than insecure bottom-feeder jobs.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

The other posters here who have worked in Vietnam long-term disagree with VietCanada that any old online cert is sufficient to get you anything other than insecure bottom-feeder jobs.

Name one. I've only seen two posters in this whole thread That have even worked in VN. One of them had a specialized degree (like me) that allowed him to jump the queue.

Stop deliberately misleading readers looking for advice on working in VN.

Your CELTA and it's rep aren't bigger than the responsibility to provide honest advice about something you actually have first hand knowledge about.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do. We have provided first-hand information about the value of real teacher-training. Other posters who have worked in Vietnam have agreed totally with this view.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
We do. We have provided first-hand information about the value of real teacher-training. Other posters who have worked in Vietnam have agreed totally with this view.

Name one. You have only provided first hand information about how infantile and vindictive some people with a CELTA can be. You have also provided first hand info about people with no experience teaching in VN obviously have no useful info for people enquiring about teaching in VN.

Again only two posters from VN have posted in this thread besides me.

You and your cohorts are just spamming the board with misinformation and chat room postings while completely disrupting the VN forum on Dave's ESL Cafe.

After all this time surely the most obtuse and just plain desperate troll would claim that these threads you disrupt are anything more than entertainment, that they only serve to drive people away from Dave's ESL Cafe VN board to more reputable and vastly more populated sites such as Linked In.

Places where no one is going to post something as patently stupid as getting TEFL cert to teach adults for a country in which most students are children and there are many TEFL certs for teaching children offered in country.

Not to mention that bizarre Google stuff! Seriously Google it is akin to the anti vaccine movement in your mind? You are in serious need of medication. Hic!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for medication for me. Nor am I bipolar, as you ask of other posters.

Name one what, by the way? Yours posts are hard to follow sometimes.
kurtz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:

Name one. You have only provided first hand information about how infantile and vindictive some people with a CELTA can be. You have also provided first hand info about people with no experience teaching in VN obviously have no useful info for people enquiring about teaching in VN.

Again only two posters from VN have posted in this thread besides me.

You and your cohorts are just spamming the board with misinformation and chat room postings while completely disrupting the VN forum on Dave's ESL Cafe.

After all this time surely the most obtuse and just plain desperate troll would claim that these threads you disrupt are anything more than entertainment, that they only serve to drive people away from Dave's ESL Cafe VN board to more reputable and vastly more populated sites such as Linked In.

Places where no one is going to post something as patently stupid as getting TEFL cert to teach adults for a country in which most students are children and there are many TEFL certs for teaching children offered in country.

Not to mention that bizarre Google stuff! Seriously Google it is akin to the anti vaccine movement in your mind? You are in serious need of medication. Hic!

You're in your 50s and still teaching brats with a tefl cert worth less than toilet paper at multiple places, which takes away your right to be listened to I am afraid.

Time for a different career perhaps? They need toilet cleaners in Burger King I heard; you have the right piece of paper for that job at least.
deadlift

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, thought I'd come out of retirement to put in my 2c. I did 5 years in Vietnam, all in HCMC. However, I have a CELTA, which I'm sure will invalidate my opinion in Vietcanada's eyes.

It's true that the only legal requirement to work as a teacher is a degree and any crappy cert. It's also true that the only legal requirement to drive a motorbike on the road is the ability to steer one in a figure 8. In Vietnam, talking about legal requirements in the same breath as professionalism, competence, and employability is, at best, naive.

If you don't want to work at bottom-feeder schools, get a CELTA or recognised equivalent. If a DOS or whoever has to google the name of your cert to find out its duration and curriculum or if it had contact hours with real students, you've already lost, because they won't actually bother googling when they can choose from all those people with reputable certs in their resume. Even if they do google, they'll inevitably find the typical scammy sales pitch with little or no concrete information by which to evaluate the quality of the course.

I can say this because I short-listed and interviewed applicants. I saw hundreds of resumes from inside and outside Vietnam. They fell into roughly four categories:

1. Experienced professionals

They typically had an MA or DELTA and were hired from overseas, or from the likes of the BC or the better international schools. If they didn't have those quals they could nonetheless talk about pedagogy and linguistics with some authority and had a bit of professional pride. Don't get me wrong, they could also frequently be incredibly arrogant, stubborn, and jaded. Often didn't get jobs because we were only looking to hire junior teachers at that time, or because they took themselves way too seriously.

2. More serious than average new teachers

Could be hired straight of a local CELTA course or out of ILA or Apollo if they interviewed well. Often had some experience outside of VN. Some were on their way to becoming experienced professionals, others just enjoyed their work and play.

3. Backpackers

Could have a CELTA , could be working at the likes of ILA. But clearly didn't give a rats-arse and cared about teaching only so far as it could fund whatever vices they had.

4. Burn outs and Bui Vien bums

Crappy no-name cert, or none at all, and a patchwork of gigs at mid-tier and below schools. Mostly kids, very little adult teaching. No sense of progression at all on the resume and they often tried to dress up their crappy jobs as "freelancing". Great at talking about songs and fun activities but no grasp of basic pedagogy at all.

We hired category 1s and 2s obviously. Sometimes we screwed up and got a 3 or a 4 who managed to fool us by interviewing well.

Also, it has to be said that the idea that the CELTA is only useful for teachers of adults is absurd. Basic grammar and phonology, basic needs analysis, classroom management and lesson planning, some basic drilling techniques and substitution tables. Absolutely 100% applicable and useful even in a kindergarten teaching ABCs. Most CELTA practice lessons are intermediate level or below, putting you in the region of a reasonably good kids class.

So, chalk me up in the "Vietcanada is deluded" column.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: