Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certificate Attestation in the UK for Oman.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwtefl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Certificate Attestation in the UK for Oman. Reply with quote

Does anyone know the procedure for getting certs attested for Oman if you are in the UK? I've searched on the Omani Embassy site but can't find anything - it seems full of adverts too.

Also, the Omani Embassy doesn't appear in any of the attestation companies.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First stage is to get your degrees notarised by a solicitor. You may also need to get them apostilled depending on the requirements. I would read through all the documentation and see exactly what they need you to do.
nwtefl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know normally they are then taken to an embassy and they attest them, but I get the impression Oman is different due to the certification agency I use. They do not list Oman on their site yet list Saudi, UAE, Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get copies of your degrees notarised by a solicitor, they usually charge about a fiver for each, Then send the notarised copies to the FCO in Milton Keynes for attestation. Then send them to the Omani Embassy in London for the seal. However you can also get all of this done in Muscat and it's cheaper. You just take your degrees to the British Council in Mucat and they attest them then you go to the Omani Foreign Office which is just near the Royal Opera House.
nwtefl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm in the UK so it will need to be the former.

But, do I need to get them notarised first ? I thought sending them to the FCO was as good as doing that.
edd_moseley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Attestation Reply with quote

Hi Nwtefl,

I went through this exact procedure last summer and it's pretty easy. First take them to a solicitor and explain to him what they are for, he will then notarize or attest or whatever it is they do. Then you go on the FCO website

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Choose the service you want and pre pay, then post them to the FCO, you`ll have them back within a week. Then you are finished, the Omani embassy never needs to see them. I spoke to the cultural attache and he said that as Oman has signed the Hague convention, they simply accept the FCO stamp, and in fact they wont give you a stamp even if you ask!

I hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy working in Oman.
nwtefl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Attestation Reply with quote

edd_moseley wrote:
Hi Nwtefl,

I went through this exact procedure last summer and it's pretty easy. First take them to a solicitor and explain to him what they are for, he will then notarize or attest or whatever it is they do. Then you go on the FCO website

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Choose the service you want and pre pay, then post them to the FCO, you`ll have them back within a week. Then you are finished, the Omani embassy never needs to see them. I spoke to the cultural attache and he said that as Oman has signed the Hague convention, they simply accept the FCO stamp, and in fact they wont give you a stamp even if you ask!

I hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy working in Oman.

Thanks a lot Edd. I was wondering why the attestation agencies that get the certs done for you never mention Oman. Cheers.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another piece of general advice is to never let the original documents leave your hands. Do this process with copies, not originals.

Then take the originals with you to Oman. My employers there then checked the originals against the certified copies - in my presence. Again, the originals were always in my sight.

VS
nwtefl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the solicitor "write" on the certificates ? I think on the FCO site it says that copies are okay.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely do not let anyone write on your originals. You may need them for other countries... and each country has its own procedures. All of this certification process for whatever country is done on copies.

Guard those originals with your life. I never allowed them to leave me as it is such a hassle getting them replaced at some time in the future. I had to go through it with my original certificate for my first degree. The one I received was painted on glass!! Not convenient for schlepping it around the world. The college was now a university... and it took them quite awhile to figure out how they could duplicate the proper stamps and seals from a place that no longer existed.

VS
nwtefl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Absolutely do not let anyone write on your originals. You may need them for other countries... and each country has its own procedures. All of this certification process for whatever country is done on copies.

Guard those originals with your life. I never allowed them to leave me as it is such a hassle getting them replaced at some time in the future. I had to go through it with my original certificate for my first degree. The one I received was painted on glass!! Not convenient for schlepping it around the world. The college was now a university... and it took them quite awhile to figure out how they could duplicate the proper stamps and seals from a place that no longer existed.

VS

Okay. As a related question., if I am seeking attestation for, say 2 different countries that require 2 document each, do I need 4 copies to be certified and then sent to the FCO (UK), or will 2 copies be enough i.e. can I re-use them, so one embassy sees them, attests them and sends them back to me, and then I re-send them to another ? I ask, as I have never seen what the re-sent documents look like.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do anything until you have an accepted offer in your hand and the employer sets out the requirements for that country...

Just have all the documents in your hand... along with copies... to carry on once you have a legit offer.

VS
nwtefl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay but is what I proposed in the previous email ok?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not... it is rather expensive for experimentation.

VS
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with degrees from two different countries, (i.e. US and UK), you can get the certificates attested at the respective embassies in Muscat. I did it last month, no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: