Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

language or private schools in Mexico City

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitch S.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: language or private schools in Mexico City Reply with quote

I'm looking for my first TEFL job for next year in DF. I've been reading these forums but haven't found too many specific or up to date posts about where to try looking. So I thought I'd ask if anyone has recommendations. I'd be happy to be either at a reputable language school or a private primary/high school, preferably where the focus is on teaching, and not running a business, marketing, or keeping "customers" happy at the cost of education. (I've read the bad things about both types of workplaces but I'm still hoping...)

So far the most promising ways to search online have been through Craigslist and Indeed.com.mx - the latter searches many job sites at once and works well.

One teacher told me great things about Global-ERS, a recruiter, but they have been uncommunicative and haven't yet sent me their application materials.

Quickly about me - I have a few years of teaching experience (a little of English, but mostly not), have a BA, and am soon to complete a TEFL course online - not the best option, I know, but what I could do at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to find a language school that isn't a business...they are out there of course, but usually smaller outfits. The problem there is you're unlikely to get a work visa sponsored through them.

The Anglo Mexican Foundation would be one of the better language schools for full time actual teaching work, with the visa sponsorship. They are highly unlikely to accept an online TEFL as valid certification.

Private schools are the best way to go if you want to actually teach, though those aren't TEFL jobs. IB, English lit/composition would need to be in your background.

What's your degree in and what have you taught before?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mitch S.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe my comment about schools run as businesses sounded too strong. Of course most schools are businesses, and that's fine. I've read negative stories, though, both on these forums and elsewhere, about schools which seem to be more concerned with their image than anything else. Because of that, the students who might actually want to learn, and teachers who actually want to teach seem to suffer. That's what I was referring to.

About getting a work visa sponsored by smaller schools, though - by sponsored, do you mean paid for? That would be a much smaller problem than obtaining the visa at all. Sorry if that is what you meant, just wanted to clarify.

I understand what you mean about the difference between TEFL jobs and, say, teaching English at an international school where students will be fluent in English. I have been under the impression that there are some positions at private schools where English is not the first language of the students, whether most of the students are Mexican, or there is a split. Maybe there aren't many, but I've already been in contact with one, so I hope there are others out there.

My degree is in the arts. I taught music for three years for a private music school (after the regular school day). I also did some tutoring work, including English/writing. I did substitute teaching so I've been in a formal classroom, despite not going through a proper teacher education program. And I have taught EFL for a few months as a volunteer.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I caught your meaning the first time...and my answer is the same. Thinking of the large outfits like Berlitz, Harmon Hall, etc.

With respect to the visa, by sponsored, I mean obtaining a job offer by a school that sends that offer to immigration for approval. You won't get a work visa without it, regardless of who pays for it.

I'm assuming you don't already have one or that you aren't married to a Mexican citizen...

For most private schools (including several of the international ones), the students are ESL learners, yes. I think you'd lean more on your prior experience in tutoring and substituting than you would on what the TEFL course will give you.

I think you'll find plenty of schools willing to give you a shot...much better if you could visit those schools in person than trying to land a job from a distance though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Guy. The only people I've meet in 17 years in Mexico who are running schools purely for education sake (not first looking to increase profits) are working in the public sector. And even in the public sector I'd say more that 50% of the people are on the look out for opportunities to divert funds for their own gain.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I agree with Guy. The only people I've meet in 17 years in Mexico who are running schools purely for education sake (not first looking to increase profits) are working in the public sector. And even in the public sector I'd say more that 50% of the people are on the look out for opportunities to divert funds for their own gain.

Only 50%?? haha

To add just a bit to what Guy has said, you didn´t mention if you speak Spanish, but if you do, you might want to look into private schools in more middle class areas. The students will be nicer, the parents will be nicer, and the pay will be adequate. Once you have some experience you can move up at that school, perhaps, or leverage your experience into a higher paying job. You could probably pick up a few private classes to pump up your imcome a bit - or offer afterschool group classes to your students, if that is allowed.

Language schools are almost without exception, first and formost businesses. If you don´t have a lot of debt, that might be a good option, as they will offer you training and if you plan on staying in Mexico long term, you can work your way up (sometimes fairly quickly, depending on the branch). Pay is not great to begin with, though, so it is more of a long term option. I have worked for Interlingua a couple of times - once over 20 years ago, and again about 7 or 8 years ago, and I think it is a good option for someone without a lot of experience as they train you in their method, and everything is provided so you have very little planning to do. There is lots of support and additional training offered as well. They have both onsite and offsite classes.

Lots of business institutes will toss you a few classes, and while pay is higher, you often spend a lot of time travelling, and there are very few who will sponsor a work visa, but are more than happy to have you work illegally.
Mitch S.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, thanks for answering again. I agree with you that my experience is probably more important than the TEFL certificate I'll have, especially with private schools. (I had thought that the course would help at least a little with finding work, as well as a way to acquaint myself better with TEFL content and methods.)

If I ever doubted what I had heard about being present in Mexico making it vastly easier to find (at least entry-level) work, I am now totally convinced! :p

I have had a few e-mail replies in which the employer more or less says, "we like you, but call me when you are here." Also a remote interview (with a private school) which went well - but being present was an issue, partly because they preferred a face to face interview including observing classes and a trial lesson, and, understandably, hiring someone before the end of their school year.

Which brings me to my next question, to anyone teaching in Mexico - is there an ideal time to be in the country for interviews? - again, for a) private schools, and b) language schools.

I'm aware the academic school year starts sometime in (late?) August. So I am wondering what the latest date is that there will still be many schools looking. For language schools, it seems that they follow this schedule somewhat, but much more loosely, and it may be able to find work at almost any time, as long as not during a holiday period. Is that about right?

BadBeagleBad, thanks for your comments on language schools. They sound like a viable option, as long as I'm ok going there without a job promised. Do you think that's true of a place like Interlingua? I actually traded a couple of e-mails with someone from there, but didn't hear from them after I answered a question about not yet having a work visa...

I understand some Spanish - it's at a very basic level, for now, but enough to read job ads written in Spanish and send them a short message in the language. I wonder if you could be a little more specific about how to identify the private schools you mean. I have some idea, maybe - not international schools, job ads written in Spanish? If we are talking about the same thing, I have the impression from ads that they're looking more for a Mexican teacher who has trained within their education system. But maybe you have a better idea.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which brings me to my next question, to anyone teaching in Mexico - is there an ideal time to be in the country for interviews? - again, for a) private schools, and b) language schools.

Right now for private schools...in fact you're already late. There will still be positions available right up to the start of the school year though.

For language schools, any time of year is usually fine, except of course during holiday periods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: