Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contact info for DOS, English First Schools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
снеговик

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Contact info for DOS, English First Schools? Reply with quote

Hi,

So I would really like to work in Kazan in Russia, and my CELTA tutors said that it's often better to just contact DOSs directly, as web-applications often get lost ignored etc. The thing is, EF hides the contact info for the DOS in Kazan (maybe everywhere). I mean, they have a phone number, but I don't know whether that would be a good way to do it or not.

Anyway, is there a way to get the DOS's or a secretaries email? Or do I just have to make the long-distance call?

Thanks for advice Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to get the name of the director, do an Internet search using: kazan english first russia linkedin. There are likely to be LinkedIn accounts for key staff.

Once you have the director's name, do a search with: [director's name] @ef.com kazan for his/her email address.
Deats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one of the top dogs in EF Russia as I taught her son. She travels around the country visiting all the EFs and checking up on them. When I left my last job she wanted to hire me for the main branch in St Petersburg and she told me it was not a normal situation, as all recruitment goes through head office in China. However, because she personally knew me she said she could pull some strings. In the end I didn't take the job. However, from this I can pretty confidently say that the DOS in Kazan will have no say in who is hired.

Obviously you can still try to contact the DOS, but realistically it's probably futile.

If you apply online to EF, you can choose which city you want to work in. If you have tried this and received no response, then clearly they have more suitable candidates.
снеговик

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's weird, I have a CELTA, past experience teaching, and I am currently employed in Vancouver with IH, but EF still doesn't think this is good enough for a call back. It's only been 3 days (they quote 5), but at this point it seems like EF is pretty exclusive or something—or maybe sending .pdf of my resume was abad idea?

Thanks for the info, Nomad. I actually found a few contacts (not the DOS) on VK too; I just have to decide if i should cold-call or not Smile
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF is very weird, it almost feels like they want to hire people without experience. Maybe this is because they want to shape the way you teach? I don't know. The set up in St Petersburg seemed pretty good. It was weird though that I'd applied to them a couple of years back and didn't get a reply. Then when the woman wanted me to work there it was because they wanted to fire a woman who had only been there a few months and had never taught before. I have no idea how their recruitment works - then again, if schools have to wait for head office in China to find workers for them, this might explain why their decisions are so odd Very Happy
снеговик

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't have much past ESL experience but I have taught and I am working now in the field. But yea, honestly I've considered making a fake resume—with DELTA, masters degree, lots of experience etc to see if I would get a reply.

It's actually a little discouraging, like maybe there are no jobs and I can't get a job in Russia until I've worked in the filled for 5 years.

Actually, the last time (in March) I applied, a recruiter emailed me back about China saying that the recruiting period for Russia was over and wouldn't start until January again.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this is bad timing. Many classes are over soon for summer holidays and things don't pick up full steam again until September.

It's not one of those markets where there are numerous openings all year round.
снеговик

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will they be hiring in September? Wouldn't it be hard to get teachers there in time for the start of classes?—just curious.
Deats

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process is slow. If they haven't hired in May or at the latest June, you ain't gonna make it for next term.

It takes a long time for them to get the paperwork in order, then the application process is a month, then they have to send you the stuff and you have to apply. Not even to mention you then have to get your gear in order and move to Russia. With bureaucracy and laziness tailored in, it will take 3 months.

Most decent places will hire in April.

Also, many places the staff will go on holidays in the summer. So there is nobody to help with the paperwork.
снеговик

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all worked out—not with EF but something on equal par)
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

снеговик wrote:
It all worked out—not with EF but something on equal par)

With who?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: