Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFL classes in decline in the UK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: go abroad Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I've been an EFL teacher for 20 years. It's getting harder and harder.

I agree. And it's not only the dearth of jobs that is a problem but the fact the the few good jobs that are there are already gone before they are advertised. Most employers these days want to hire people they know to be trustworthy and reliable so they simply hire someone who has been working for them on summer school or an insessional. Outsiders don't have a chance. It really is a case of not what you know but WHO you know these days.
Kofola

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also hearing reports of schools experiencing a downturn due to fear of terrorist attack, with teachers refusing to allow pupils to visit areas they consider to be dangerous e.g. major London sights. Time will tell as to whether this is just a post-Brussels blip or if it will affect summer trade.
gregory999

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kofola wrote:
I'm also hearing reports of schools experiencing a downturn due to fear of terrorist attack, with teachers refusing to allow pupils to visit areas they consider to be dangerous e.g. major London sights. Time will tell as to whether this is just a post-Brussels blip or if it will affect summer trade.

This is not true, there is no such dangerous areas in London.

It seems you are listening to Trump who said that some areas in London are no-go areas! Very Happy
Stuka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
Kofola wrote:

This is not true, there is no such dangerous areas in London.

It seems you are listening to Trump who said that some areas in London are no-go areas! Very Happy

Why do you say this with such authority? Britain's terrorist warning is still at SEVERE and ISIS have threatened attacks on London so it would be sensible for teachers to proceed with caution. Parents too are probably concerned and may cancel or send their little darlings to other places perceived as being less dangerous.
gregory999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MI5 is wrong, the terrorism threat is low, and London is safe.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
The MI5 is wrong, the terrorism threat is low, and London is safe.

You got connections on the inside, Mr Bond?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote

Quote:
The MI5 is wrong, the terrorism threat is low...

The current UK threat of international terrorism is currently classed as severe, meaning an attack is highly likely.

However, UK's long experience in dealing with terrorist threats and relatively restrictive gun laws among other factors, provide some protection. Procuring automatic and other firearms in the UK is much harder than in Belgium or France. The UK also has stricter border controls because it is outside Europe's Schengen free travel zone and thus checks the passports of everyone who arrives.
ISSAKAB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: UK terrorist threat Reply with quote

Being outside the Schengen zone won't make a terrorist attack in the UK less likely. Most of the terrorists are like the recent attacks in Paris and Brussels born in Europe in any case and the last time I checked the mass murderers who blew up the London underground in 2005 made their explosives out of readily available household chemicals.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuka wrote:
Britain's terrorist warning is still at SEVERE and ISIS have threatened attacks on London so it would be sensible for teachers to proceed with caution.

What a laugh. I'm in central London every two or three weeks now. Let's all stay at home and be scared. You're about 10 million times more likely to be killed by a bus driven by a Daily Mail reader than a terrorist attack.
gregory999

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
You're about 10 million times more likely to be killed by a bus driven by a Daily Mail reader than a terrorist attack.

Laughing Laughing
Daily Mail reader!

I guess the probability is higher if the bus is a double decker one. Laughing

Last edited by gregory999 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Fares, please! Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
You're about 10 million times more likely to be killed by a bus driven by a Daily Mail reader than a terrorist attack.

A Sun reader, surely? After all, what self-respecting Daily Mail reader would drive a bus for a living? Wink
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone from the UK I am actually shocked at the situation in the UK.

A skilled, 10 year veteran with an MA I know is making 14.50 an hour, that's probably about 11 quid after tax and NI dedications, I think a manager in McDonalds honestly would get paid more.

It's shocking in London especially that places pay around 10 pounds an hour in some adverts, it would cost you 2 hours just for travel and lunch if you stayed there a day.

I'm still confused how Asian parents will pay me 30 or 40 quid an hour and not expect too much, but a school in the UK expects suit and tie and shedloads of paperwork for 1/3 of that in a city that costs 3 times as much to live in.
Sethis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole terrorism thing is hilarious, frankly. The warning has been at "Severe" for years, and nothing has ever happened.

Even if it did, London has what, 8.5 million people living in it? How many people are generally killed in a terrorist attack? Let's say 30. Assuming I've remembered how to calculate probability that puts you at something like 280,000 to 1 that you will be involved. You're more likely to drown in a puddle.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sethis you also have to factor in that there's probably 2+million people transitioning through London everyday.
johncoan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
As someone from the UK I am actually shocked at the situation in the UK.

A skilled, 10 year veteran with an MA I know is making 14.50 an hour, that's probably about 11 quid after tax and NI dedications, I think a manager in McDonalds honestly would get paid more.

For sure.

A friend with 20 years' EFL experience sent me an ad for a major supermarket chain in Spain that are offering more - as a starter salary - than the branch of IH he's working for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: