Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFL classes in decline in the UK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stuka



Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 128

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Stuka wrote:
Britain's terrorist warning is still at SEVERE and ISIS have threatened attacks on London so it would be sensible for teachers to proceed with caution.


What a laugh. I'm in central London every two or three weeks now. Let's all stay at home and be scared. You're about 10 million times more likely to be killed by a bus driven by a Daily Mail reader than a terrorist attack.


It's not about facts but perceptions of what might happen. The media whips up fear and people grow concerned, especially Chinese parents who worry about their little emperors when they go overseas. If I was an Asian parent, I might think of sending my kid to Australia or NZ and not London because the risks of being blown up would be lower in the Antipodes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuka



Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 128

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
I'm still confused how Asian parents will pay me 30 or 40 quid an hour and not expect too much, but a school in the UK expects suit and tie and shedloads of paperwork for 1/3 of that in a city that costs 3 times as much to live in.


There is a chronic shortage of teachers in the UK . . . soon they'll be a chronic shortage of TEFL teachers too. The salaries are appallingly low and the expectations of what you need to do for the measly pay are completely unreasonable. It won't be too long before schools and colleges(and universities) start importing Filipinos to teach ESL. Thailand imports them, why not the UK?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregory999



Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 372
Location: 999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuka wrote:
It won't be too long before schools and colleges(and universities) start importing Filipinos to teach ESL. Thailand imports them, why not the UK?

No way, the UK will not import anybody to teach ESL, we have plenty of our home English teachers, the market is fully booked, thank you. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregory999



Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 372
Location: 999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuka wrote:
If I was an Asian parent, I might think of sending my kid to Australia or NZ and not London because the risks of being blown up would be lower in the Antipodes.

You are 1000 times more likely to be killed by a crocodile in Australia than by a bomb in London.
London is safe, and is full of tourists from all over the world.
Just watch the red bus when you cross the road! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sethis



Joined: 29 Mar 2016
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
Stuka wrote:
If I was an Asian parent, I might think of sending my kid to Australia or NZ and not London because the risks of being blown up would be lower in the Antipodes.

You are 1000 times more likely to be killed by a crocodile in Australia than by a bomb in London.
London is safe, and is full of tourists from all over the world.
Just watch the red bus when you cross the road! Laughing


I get the feeling that you've had a traumatic experience with a bus in the past... Wink

I would be more careful of Taxi drivers - they're the only people I've ever had a collision with!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johncoan



Joined: 02 Jul 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IH Manchester pay 13 quid an hour, zero hour contracts.

I mean, why would you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Bourenmouth



Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
Stuka wrote:
It won't be too long before schools and colleges(and universities) start importing Filipinos to teach ESL. Thailand imports them, why not the UK?

No way, the UK will not import anybody to teach ESL, we have plenty of our home English teachers, the market is fully booked, thank you. Very Happy



In any other industry, if you spent this much time and money on your training and education you'd be in the £40,000+ earning bracket, and the language schools know it.

In older established schools I see the majority of full-time teachers are over 50; there is hardly any new blood short of Poles masquerading as Brits, the usual run of oddballs who refuse to teach in conventional ways, and fresh faced CELTA graduates without degrees who haven't yet realised that they've been sold a lie and won't be able to obtain any long-term gainful work.


Last edited by Mr. Bourenmouth on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Bourenmouth



Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johncoan wrote:
IH Manchester pay 13 quid an hour, zero hour contracts.

I mean, why would you?


Exactly. Why would you? There are so many other things that intelligent and hard-working graduates can do. The thing is, it's actually quite fun work, easy and providing the chance to meet a lot of interesting people, but it's necessary to supplement one's income by private work, online teaching, whatever. There is plenty of money to be made in the Middle East and Asia, but anyone expecting to be able to live a full life teaching TEFL full-time in the UK is deluded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China