Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do They Get Away with It?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: How Do They Get Away with It? Reply with quote

During the brief time that I was working for language schools, I was always paid in cash and never received a pay stub. Although I was told that I was being paid "neto," I assume the payment style means that the school was NOT reporting my pay to the government and NOT paying the proper taxes on it.

Now, one of the schools I worked for was a little fly-by-night solo operation. But the other is a big, highly visible school with a prominent street location. So my question is, how does that school, and the many others like it that do exactly the same thing, get away with pretending that they're not paying anyone? Is it likely that they bribe someone inside SAT to overlook them? Is that sort of set-up pretty much routine?
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always said, Mexico has good laws, that's not the problem. The problem is that don't have a system in place to enforce them. This is especially true when it comes to taxes. Which creates a downward spiral, no one to enforce no money to set up an enforcement system. Landlords are supposed to give receipts for rent and report that income too, but most don't.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you!

My first employer in Mexico, Tecnologico de Monterrey - Campus Sinaloa, despite my occasional annoyances with them, did everything on the up-and-up. But the three employers I've had since then, for increasingly shorter periods - Colegios Peterson in Mexico City, SCEANI in Queretaro, and Globoworld in Queretaro - have been completely sleazy. I am glad that I am now freelance writing and editing for outfits outside Mexico.

I've always assumed that I will stay in Mexico, and I find Queretaro an absolutely delightful city to live in. But occasionally I wonder about this plan. As I have gotten to know the country better over four years, there is so much that is disturbing, and I feel that the national situation is getting worse instead of better. Look at all the political candidates who were assassinated in this election cycle.

What bothers me is that if one ran into a bad situation in Mexico, one could NOT be confident of it being handled well, or fairly, or perhaps at all.

I suppose that is true of a lot of countries, and that there may be no greener grass. So for now, and perhaps even forever, I will stay put. But I do so wish that I could feel the country was adequately run. Does this bother most natives too, or have they learned to shrug it all off?

Another way to put it would be: I find it odd, and a little uneasy-making, to live in a country where there are not simply failures of justice, but virtually no justice at all.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think saying there is no justice at all is a little extreme. I think a lot of things are seen as victimless crimes, tax fraud being one of them. As MF pointed out, the laws in Mexico are strong, it's getting them enforced that is a whole other thing. In fact, if you read the Mexican Constitution you will (probably) be surprised at the rights Mexicans have (on paper). I share a lot of the same concerns you do, but I just keep my head down and don't cause problems and hope for the best, I think that is all you can do anywhere. Having been the victim of overzealous police in the US on two occasions, and my son having recently been a victim of DWB (driving while brown) in the US, and never having those problems in Mexico, my view of police is likely skewed. In fact, when I have had need to call on police in Mexico I have always been happy with the way the problem was resolved.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I've always said, Mexico has good laws, that's not the problem. The problem is that don't have a system in place to enforce them. This is especially true when it comes to taxes. Which creates a downward spiral, no one to enforce no money to set up an enforcement system. Landlords are supposed to give receipts for rent and report that income too, but most don't.

Seems about right. I went to IMSS to get my "hoja rosa" and then the IMSS ID and it was a major problem both times. Even with everything I needed in hand, IMSS staff were rude, inconsiderate and refused to perform their jobs, at least at first. But I simply made a fuss and spoke to supervisors who fixed everything (no, I did not pay any "extra" money).

But Hacienda was like day compared to the night at IMSS. Well lit, new office. Free coffee and cookies. Polite staff who were able to speak English, but they were quite happy when I spoke in Spanish. Clean bathrooms. Fast and efficent service.

Mexico has many laws which go beyond what the USA has on the books, for example, labor laws. But the enforcement of such laws is lax, to say the least. Discrimination in hiring is still very common.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on things I've heard... Many schools will hire a certain amount of Mexican teachers. If the school hires foreign teachers they simply report them as a volunteer worker. Which is not true because they will turn around and pay that person cash. They say it is that simple. But, in reality what the school does paperwork wise for taxes I do not know.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
Based on things I've heard... Many schools will hire a certain amount of Mexican teachers. If the school hires foreign teachers they simply report them as a volunteer worker. Which is not true because they will turn around and pay that person cash. They say it is that simple. But, in reality what the school does paperwork wise for taxes I do not know.

That makes sense!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of the 'volunteer worker' claim...one would think that an immigration agent would be smart enough to see through that.

I've seen schools claim teachers are students...much more plausible especially if there's a Spanish program at the school. IMAC in GDL regularly does this.

Other schools have told me they simply hide their foreign staff. I imagine monthly broom closet meetings... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never heard of the 'volunteer worker' claim...one would think that an immigration agent would be smart enough to see through that.

Especially since volunteers are required to have a "voluntary worker" visa. As of 2012, the only exceptions are British and EU citizens volunteering for less than 6 months. In actual practice, many people volunteer without the visa, and don't encounter problems; but an employer certainly can't "report them as volunteers" to an immigration agent. I suppose if they hired only Brits for less than six months, they could try it, but it wouldn't work for US/Canadian teachers!

BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

:

I've never heard of that either, and I have worked in a LOT of schools. What I have seen a lot of is teachers working illegally, and I have also seen schools where they had a certain number of people with Recibos double up payments to cover what a teacher without permission to work earned. I have even seen people offered to sell the use of their recibos, but that was 7 or 8 years ago.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what the specifics are for language schools and volunteers. But, I do know many times immigration will look the other way depending on if they know the owner of the school or director well. As far as Americans verses UK volunteers.... I can't speak on that either. I only know I've come across many Americans who are volunteering and they don't have a visa for such a thing. I've often wondered what the schools says or does about these things myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: