Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Students and administrators
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yasuke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Students and administrators Reply with quote

In .general how have you found students and administrations in Saudi? What is your advice for dealing with both in the most sane and harmonious way?

Thanks.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your best job and act professional as you would in any employment situation whether on home soil or abroad. It's a no-brainer.
jobsworthjohn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come now don't let a bit of banter put you off! Put it up in public - that's the whole point of this forum right?
I for one am eager to learn from everyone's experience positive or negative. And I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Students and administrators Reply with quote

Quote:
What is your advice for dealing with both in the most sane and harmonious way?

My understanding is that the OP is looking for comments on how to generally manage relationships with admin and the students rather than hearing the usual litany of others' personal bad experiences.
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Students and administrators Reply with quote

Students are usually in the classroom at the start of the term and for tests. Otherwise there is no need to go find them. However, they will still want to be marked present even if they were not in class, or wandered off to the toilet and could not find their way back to the classroom for 45 minutes. Since they are usually paid based upon their attendance record, this is an important power you have.

If the administrators are not Saudis, then they are normally found in their offices or nearby on the campus. If they are Saudis, they are frequently not found anywhere after lunch.

When teaching Saudi males, you will do well to remember that the local culture is one of generosity. Being too strict with these students may well result in accusations that you defamed the prophet or denounced the king. Job security is far better if one does not take the administration's rules too seriously. This is colloquially known as dealing with "ambiguity".
Laughing

Yasuke wrote:
In .general how have you found students and administrations in Saudi? What is your advice for dealing with both in the most sane and harmonious way?

Thanks.

Last edited by Captain Willard on Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yasuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gamba and cpt. williard.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Captain Willard on what he said about it all as well. Summed it up quite nicely actually.
akoo1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the captain in generally correct if not a bit exaggerating and generalizing/stereotyping about Saudis. Basically, just take it easy.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make it clear, by word and deed, that you do not like your students, they will not play ball.

A basic rule of Pedagogy is that the educator has to understand things from the perspective of the student. Paulo Freire and all that trendy stuff - some of it is true !

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Scot47's comments. Add to that Dornyei and Czizer's 10 Commandments for Motivating Language Learners, if you're looking for strategies to motivate your students:

1. Set a personal example with your own behavior.
2. Create a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere in the classroom.
3. Present the tasks properly.
4. Develop a good relationship with the learners.
5. Increase the learner’s linguistic self-confidence.
6. Make the language classes interesting.
7. Promote learner autonomy.
8. Personalize the learning process.
9. Increase the learners’ goal-orientedness.
10. Familiarize learners with the target language culture.

Source: http://www.zoltandornyei.co.uk/uploads/1998-dornyei-csizer-ltr.pdf
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

2. Create a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere in the classroom.

Not always possible, depending on the classroom itself. However I'm sure you'll have something to critique again

nomad soul wrote:
4. Develop a good relationship with the learners.

This is Saudi Arabia we're talking about. Most of them only pretend to have a good relationship with you for their own benefit. Again, I'm sure you'll disagree as you know better.

nomad soul wrote:

6. Make the language classes interesting.

As a colleague (from outside KSA) once told me - forget everything you learnt on CELTA, as it won't work in Saudi. Said colleague was correct. But again, no doubt there is disagreement about this too.

nomad soul wrote:

7. Promote learner autonomy.

They have oil money - they'll never be independent or forward thinking like that, but then you know best...

nomad soul wrote:

8. Personalize the learning process.

Even if with classes that have proficient users of English mixed in with clowns who can't even speak a word and are almost guaranteed to require a bilingual instructor at first? Yeah, that'll work...
Yasuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba

How would you describe your interactions with students and admin over your time in Saudi? What were your tricks to stay sane?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Gamajorba,

Most of them worked for me - and I guess all of them worked for nomad soul.

I suppose it's safe to say that none of them worked for you.

But then, everyone has their own private Saudi - and it's always a mistake to think that "one size fits all."

New arrivals can't always "prepare" for their work environment, what the interactions with admin/students will require, what it will be like. There are simply too many variations.

Perhaps the only constant is you'll need patience - and a sense of humor usually helps.

Regards,
John
rollingk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, not pulling your head out of your backside seems to help too. I wish I had such beautiful scenery up my own.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what I mean? So many people apparently think that their personal experience of Saudi is the only valid one for everyone else.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: